What's your worst screw up?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the worst (time, money, etc) error you've made when making a cue?

I recently purchased a Deluxe Cue Smith lathe and was working on a shaft and forgot to slide the tailstock and flipped the switch. Joint end wasn't supported and it spun around and smacked the shaft on the lathe bed about 3" up from the joint. It's a break shaft for me so I think I'm just going to fill in the marks with some dyed epoxy and call them beauty marks. :rolleyes:

Let's hear them stories.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst Screw up is an easy one.
I took a piece of Ebony cored 7/8" for a handle and used it for a Forearm. My joints finish at .840 and
YUP.....IT HAD POINTS.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Made my first couple shafts in 80's when people gave me cues with missing, warped, or tiny shafts. In those days I could actually play a little on bar boxes.:smile:

Usual story -forgot about pool 25 yrs or so, raise family, etc. Started shooting again at wife's encouragement, & found what decent sticks cost :eek: By that time half dozen yrs ago, have full machine shop, full commercial woodshop, lots of scrap in the loft so start making my own. :rolleyes:

I never really considered making sticks as more than an experiment, though people buy some of them. So a screw up is just another chance to learn.

My biggest errors are around being overly stubborn about aligning points. Mostly only make FS butts, so get finicky about points. I've lost a couple undersize trying to make 4 or 6 points align "perfectly" when they were within 1/16th and could have been fudged (sanded) imperceptibly to get them closer. I also drill most shafts. A lot are lost when they warp at that point. (Drilling early could lead to fewer visibly warped shafts, but the shafts that would have warped, won't have uniform thickness walls)

Other errors are when early on i got tired of dialing both ends of a shaft or butt in & told myself "it's not machine shop, it's woodwork". Besides having the shops, we (my crew & I) installed, so there's a lot of construction driven "git 'er done" in my background. This does not apply well to cue making.

Cue making actually is machine shop with the added complication of wood not being nearly as stable or forgiving as metal. Any time you take a chance "that will be ok" it probably won't.

Then there's the whole finish thing. I know from finishing woodwork how wrong that can go on a bad day. But have chosen to eliminate those problems and health aspects by sticking with French polish, which is not a good marketing option these days for most people if they are trying to sell a lot, or sell "high end".

smt

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. But it sure was funny AFTER that first look.

LOL, yep, I was pissed when my shaft started spinning in a crazy 8, but now I'm going to epoxy it and smile every time I look at it.

Made my first couple shafts in 80's when people gave me cues with missing, warped, or tiny shafts. In those days I could actually play a little on bar boxes.:smile:

Usual story -forgot about pool 25 yrs or so, raise family, etc. Started shooting again at wife's encouragement, & found what decent sticks cost :eek: By that time half dozen yrs ago, have full machine shop, full commercial woodshop, lots of scrap in the loft so start making my own. :rolleyes:

I never really considered making sticks as more than an experiment, though people buy some of them. So a screw up is just another chance to learn.

My biggest errors are around being overly stubborn about aligning points. Mostly only make FS butts, so get finicky about points. I've lost a couple undersize trying to make 4 or 6 points align "perfectly" when they were within 1/16th and could have been fudged (sanded) imperceptibly to get them closer. I also drill most shafts. A lot are lost when they warp at that point. (Drilling early could lead to fewer visibly warped shafts, but the shafts that would have warped, won't have uniform thickness walls)

Other errors are when early on i got tired of dialing both ends of a shaft or butt in & told myself "it's not machine shop, it's woodwork". Besides having the shops, we (my crew & I) installed, so there's a lot of construction driven "git 'er done" in my background. This does not apply well to cue making.

Cue making actually is machine shop with the added complication of wood not being nearly as stable or forgiving as metal. Any time you take a chance "that will be ok" it probably won't.

Then there's the whole finish thing. I know from finishing woodwork how wrong that can go on a bad day. But have chosen to eliminate those problems and health aspects by sticking with French polish, which is not a good marketing option these days for most people if they are trying to sell a lot, or sell "high end".

smt

I think those two bolded items are hardest. I worked in construction also and am generally working double-time when in the garage. That's how I forgot to support the end of the shaft :rolleyes:

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to rate my biggest error, but maybe rubbing my knuckle against a rotating chuck. Made a mess and badly stained a forearm.
As to wood, I keep many of errors hanging behind my lathe. It reminds me not to make the same error again, but I always seem to find new ways.

This is about 10 years old. If you don't index properly:

Attachments

• IMG_1716.jpg
    IMG_1716.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 263

Alan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't leave enough room for epoxy to escape, hydraulic pressure will crack ebony. This is about 9 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 274

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The best/worst story I’ve ever heard I can’t remember the exact maker but they are well known for high end cues

If I’m not mistaken it was something like ivory points and they forgot to lock the index and the router just ate the forearm in a candy cane cutting in the last point….or something to that degree 🥲

I blew up a forearm bumping the controls and threw a chuck key across the room through a wall one of the first times I worked with an engine lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yours is not buying all the BRW and Gabon from that old factory in Florida.

It was Chicago supposedly and just brw. As far as I remember it was just the one batch available. But yeah it’s too bad I never came on to some huge pile .

It was a good learning experience but overall it was cool how we all had pooled together basically at the time….

One day I’ll probably end up milling a bunch of ironwood in Florida or goinv mill some Sisso in Arizona in one of those neighborhoods it’s taken over

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I never heard about that one….please expand or share the thread

Long and short Tikkle is not with use any longer, he "Steve" Died. Tony is off Forum I believe.

Tikkler was Mator collector, commissioned Cue from TZ, it was not close to quality, TZ had he done in right would have got many order.

Tikkler got tired of run around and post photo of the Abortion.

Not sure if Tikkler ever got refund, or rest of story.

After that incident TZ was not busy with AZB orders.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Long and short Tikkle is not with use any longer, he "Steve" Died. Tony is off Forum I believe.

Tikkler was Mator collector, commissioned Cue from TZ, it was not close to quality, TZ had he done in right would have got many order.

Tikkler got tired of run around and post photo of the Abortion.

Not sure if Tikkler ever got refund, or rest of story.

After that incident TZ was not busy with AZB orders.
There's still people looking for Tony, and their money(deposits) ...... saw one of his cues he donated to a charity tourny I was in....worst leather wrap job I ever saw.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It isn't a bad mistake unless there is blood, lots of blood, or a machine broken in half. One of my more memorable mistakes was when I was making a fixture rather than a cue. Cutting to zero in the wee hours of the morning. Make a spring cut, reverse rotation so the material is turning away from me, touch it with a file, gauge check, repeat. I was sneaking up on zero, too close to measure with a ten-thousandths mike, and since it was a piece of 6061-t6 aluminum about two inches diameter I was spinning it. About two grand for the finish I wanted. My lathe didn't have a brake on it and I was spending more time watching it spin down than cutting. Lather, rinse, repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat.

Surely I can sneak that little file in there spinning the wrong way if I am careful. A fingertip touched the chuck. An instant later two fingers and a bit of thumb were sucked into the chuck. I had wrapped the fingers of the other hand around the damaged fingers as soon as blood flew and it was a couple minutes before I could persuade myself to open the fingers of the right hand up and see how much of the left hand was still there. The fingers of the left hand were numb from the moment of impact and I didn't know if the damage was minor or I needed to go to the emergency room and let them nip off the remains of a finger or two like my dad's he stuck in a corn puller on the farm. My old machine instructor had been looking down from his place in heaven raising hell because we both knew I knew better than to take such a damned fool chance!

Most of the time I would be upset about a fingernail ripped tip to cuticle. This time I was grateful beyond belief that this seemed to be all that my stupidity had cost me. Taped things together and finished up my project. I had much more time to let the lathe spin down after that!

I have slung 30-50 lbs of wood across my backyard with my traditional wood lathe but that didn't involve cue building. Pretty high pucker factor though. Fortunately I knew about and believed in safety equipment and zones!

Shaftwood? That is so minor I don't remember how many times a piece has bit the dust. I spent two or three months snapping shafts in my hands while I was finding "my" taper. Lost over a gross of shaft wood to a flood.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Dropping the lathe cover on my ring finger .
Broke the tip and had to go to ER.
I got rid of that Logan lathe shortly after that.