McDermott Chops Cues

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m making these myself. My son skates and his sponsors fund new boards when he breaks them. These won’t be as over the top as Chops. I’m also a hobbyist not a full time cuemaker so they’ll be on the more basic side of things. It’ll be a few months before any are done if you’re interested let me know.

Probably end up being 700 or so. Not sure yet.

View attachment 752247
View attachment 752248
what is the design of the ones your making any other inlays or very similar to mcdermott model?

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my customer cooled on it a bit after the ebay sale i got offered a brand new never hit one with the spliced shaft for 900 Euro, what condition is yours and what were you looking for? actually the customer that wanted it has a jacoby custom cue here he is willing to sell or trade, not sure if you are into jacoby cues
Brand now one for less than $1000? Yeah. I'd buy that one right now.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the design of the ones your making any other inlays or very similar to mcdermott model?
So I’m working on 3 cues of this style.

All are centered on the handle being from the skateboards. With forearm and butt being something else.

The one pictured will have a purpleheart forearm and butt. Regular maple shaft. No inlays.

Simple and basic design.

I have another that will have a similar skateboard handle and ebony forearm and butt which will likely incorporate a hoppe style ring from the skateboards that will run vertically.

These will all be simple.

Third version I haven’t decided yet. Plan to get further into this later next week when I have free time.

I’m not setup to do inlays. I want to emphasize that I’m a hobbyist not a full time cuemaker.

These will definitely take a few months to completion. I do this in my free time.

I have no intention of making this a real job with demanding customers and deadlines. With that said I’m open to discussion if someone had an idea in mind and a reasonable expectation of end result.

I have enough boards to do 10-12 of these. So I have plenty of stock.

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my customer cooled on it a bit after the ebay sale i got offered a brand new never hit one with the spliced shaft for 900 Euro, what condition is yours and what were you looking for? actually the customer that wanted it has a jacoby custom cue here he is willing to sell or trade, not sure if you are into jacoby cues
Honestly, I'd rather sell, but, I'd take a look. Mone has the spliced ahaft. It's used, but not abused. Very good condition, but not mint. I'd have to get $1200 paypal shipped for mine. I have a brand new pearl white Whyte Carbon shaft I could toss in for another $450. I have a McDermott quick pin Whyte Carbon insert arriving tomorrow.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For whatever it’s worth I noticed my chops cue and others are very uniform. It looks to me like they’re made from stock for boards that aren’t shaped out yet. Just flat plywood.

I found when cutting up my son’s broken boards that getting the lines to be uniform is hard because these boards have all kinds of shape within them. Lips, curls, tail and nose parts that are bended up. I like the lack of uniformity. Others might prefer Chops uniform lines.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly, I'd rather sell, but, I'd take a look. Mone has the spliced ahaft. It's used, but not abused. Very good condition, but not mint. I'd have to get $1200 paypal shipped for mine. I have a brand new pearl white Whyte Carbon shaft I could toss in for another $450. I have a McDermott quick pin Whyte Carbon insert arriving tomorrow.
i just got a new chops for $750

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For whatever it’s worth I noticed my chops cue and others are very uniform. It looks to me like they’re made from stock for boards that aren’t shaped out yet. Just flat plywood.

I found when cutting up my son’s broken boards that getting the lines to be uniform is hard because these boards have all kinds of shape within them. Lips, curls, tail and nose parts that are bended up. I like the lack of uniformity. Others might prefer Chops uniform lines.
mcdermott has some diamond shape inlays in the butt sleeve