WNT $ 2024

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Everyone knew who Minnesota Fats was back in the 1960's, 70's, 80's and into the 1990's! He was A-List all the way back then.
Yes, Fats and Jeanette are probably the only two exceptions in my lifetime., the two that managed to get noticed in wide circles beyond those of pool. I stand corrected.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You had to be there, and it is obvious that you weren't. True, the movie brought him to the attention of the public, but Fats was a crowd favorite everywhere he went, and he was a frequent guest on nationwide TV shows like Johnny Carson. He was on television quite often and his matches with Mosconi got some of the highest TV ratings of that era. Ratings higher than almost all other sports and the equal to the early Super Bowls. Anywhere he went he was immediately recognized, a trait common only to A-Listers! He was the real deal when it came to celebrities and don't let anyone tell you differently.
Pool could use a few more just like Minnesota Fats. He made pool fun for mainstream America. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0910794/?ref_=tt_cl_t_1

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I doubt Saudi Arabia will bring the sport any more forward than having World Championships in Qatar. Maybe for a certain number of players that can afford to go there, but certainly not fans and pool overall. Who would want to travel to and stay in Saudi Arabia? I have zero desire to go there, I doubt many other pool fans do either. The lack of a crowd also makes it extremely boring to watch.
For now, it's a wait and see game. Wishing everybody involved with the project the best.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2024 WNT Schedule/Calendar https://matchroompool.com/schedule/ has about $2.3M for confirmed events organized by Matchroom and about $0.7M for smaller ranking events not organized by Matchroom . Total about $3M
Not in schedule yet are previous year events like WCOP, Spanish Open, Hanoi Open and If those go ahead , should add close to $1M bringing total to almost $4M. Was chatter of new team event Reyes Cup. If that gets greenlighted should add another few hundred thousand though runway till end of year may be too short to put together such a team event.

Meanwhile, WNT boss "M" hitting the ground running for Hanoi Open :LOL:
M.PNG

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
2024 WNT Schedule/Calendar https://matchroompool.com/schedule/ has about $2.3M for confirmed events organized by Matchroom and about $0.7M for smaller ranking events not organized by Matchroom . Total about $3M
Not in schedule yet are previous year events like WCOP, Spanish Open, Hanoi Open and If those go ahead , should add close to $1M bringing total to almost $4M. Was chatter of new team event Reyes Cup. If that gets greenlighted should add another few hundred thousand though runway till end of year may be too short to put together such a team event.

Meanwhile, WNT boss "M" hitting the ground running for Hanoi Open :LOL:
View attachment 753793
Not sure the open midriff will work well with the Saudi élite.