WNT $ 2024

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
(WNT), a game-changing initiative in professional pool. With a $5 million minimum prize fund.

Humm.... what's next?
Emilys grin. :)

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No clue what you're saying/asking here. Feel like letting us know??

Am guessing he is referring to Barry Hearn promise for 2024 season in 2023 Mosconi Cup press conference :D
(starts around 9 min 20 secs)

Emily is busy meeting planning with Saudi sheiks so that WPC $1Million ($250K 1st prize) looks like in the bag.
Think will need more events or increase in prize fund for other events to hit $5M minimum prize fund (for Matchroom events only)

wpc meet.PNG

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Am guessing he is referring to Barry Hearn promise for 2024 season in 2023 Mosconi Cup press conference :D
(starts around 9 min 20 secs)

Emily is busy meeting planning with Saudi sheiks so that WPC $1Million ($250K 1st prize) looks like in the bag.
Think will need more events or increase in prize fund for other events to hit $5M minimum prize fund (for Matchroom events only)

View attachment 753477
Things are changing in Saudiia…..a beautiful woman can sit in a meeting…..and two sheiks are wearing ball caps.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Lou, read your link, hummm LIV golf comes to mind :).
Negativity in news comes to mind.
Opinions are front and center.

Pool Player$ and Golfer$ are $imilar.
Capitalism.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm a little lost here regarding the thread subject. Has there been a major announcement made by Matchroom that I missed? The WNT is not new, nor is the fact that many millions will be available in prize money. The relocation of the World Championship to Saudi Arabia is also old news.

Is this capitalism any more than when the WPA moved the World Championships to Qatar for 10 years from 2010-19? It's almost unanimous that the Qatar money grab set the sport backward, not forward. I am confident that Matchroom will make it work in Saudi Arabia and look forward to the first event, which is coming fairly soon.

Pool players are not, in any way, like golfers even though both are motivated by money. Golf has blossomed to become a marketing giant that produces endless riches for its producers, sponsors, players, and charities, while pool is a niche sport that has struggled for over 50 years to attract more than a sprinkling of out-of-industry sponsorship, and in which producers, sponsors and players are hard pressed to get a decent return on their investments of time and money. The top golfers, like Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods, are household names in almost every corner of the globe and are considered to be among the greatest ever sportsmen. The plight of the top pool players is improving, but few people have ever heard of Mosconi, Greenleaf, Efren or Sigel, and today's crop of players are still striving to find the limelight.

Matchroom is the best thing that has happened to pro pool this century, and if anyone can deliver pool from its doldrums, Matchroom is the one. If pool is anything like golf ten years from now, Matchroom will have pulled off something incredible. Today, though, pool is nothing like golf.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
$5 million minimum prize fund.

A first for pool players, but Where is the Money being paid out in the next 12 mths?

The thread about this, made me confused so I thought I'd just pass it along.
What are THEY $aying....
Is what I'm saying.

bm

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a little lost here regarding the thread subject. Has there been a major announcement made by Matchroom that I missed? Th WNT is not new, nor is the fact that many millions will be available in prize money. The relocation of the World Championship to Saudi Arabia is also old news.

Is this capitalism any more than when the WPA moved the World Championships to Qatar for 10 years from 2010-19 was? It's almost unanimous that the Qatar money grab set the sport backward, not forward. I am confident that Matchroom will make it work in Saudi Arabia and look forward to the first event, which is coming fairly soon.

Pool players are not, in any way, like golfers even though both are motivated by money. Golf has blossomed to become a marketing giant that produces endless riches for its producers, sponsors, players, and charities, while pool is a niche sport that has struggled for over 50 years to attract more than a sprinkling of out-of-industry sponsorship, and in which producers, sponsors and players are hard pressed to get a decent return on their investments of time and money. The top golfers, like Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Tom Watson and Tiger Woods, are household names in almost every corner of the globe and are considered to be among the greatest ever sportsmen. The plight of the top pool players is improving, but few people have ever heard of Mosconi, Greenleaf, Efren or Sigel, and today's crop of players are still striving to find the limelight.

Matchroom is the best thing that has happened to pro pool this century, and if anyone can deliver pool from its doldrum, Matchroom is the one. If pool is anything like golf ten years from now, Matchroom will have pulled off something incredible. Today, though, pool is nothing like golf.
Everyone knew who Minnesota Fats was back in the 1960's, 70's, 80's and into the 1990's! He was A-List all the way back then.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone knew who Minnesota Fats was back in the 1960's, 70's, 80's and into the 1990's! He was A-List all the way back then.
Some may argue, the only reason people knew of Fats was because of the movie, it's not like they were watching him on TV multiple times a month like the golfers and going out trying to emulate him as the golf fans did and still do.... but you can say of todays creme in pool, there are several 1000 times more people emulating and wanting study their games as there was in the old school legends. It's just better now and MR is a large reason why.

Have a good day.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$5 million minimum prize fund.

A first for pool players, but Where is the Money being paid out in the next 12 mths?

it's 1 million, not 5 millions. as to where it is, it's in the saudi's PIF fund. so some sheikh has the money. you planning a heist?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some may argue, the only reason people knew of Fats was because of the movie, it's not like they were watching him on TV multiple times a month like the golfers and going out trying to emulate him as the golf fans did and still do.... but you can say of todays creme in pool, there are several 1000 times more people emulating and wanting study their games as there was in the old school legends. It's just better now and MR is a large reason why.

Have a good day.
I am not sure where Fats first got his popularity, but the dude had a video game named after him back in the early years of the Sega Genesis. It was actually pretty fun, if you could get past the infuriating shot making mechanism.

Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend

As a kid, I remember anytime somebody tried a behind the back shot, or made a difficult bank, they would jokingly be called Minnesota Fats. So wherever he got it first, he was certainly still a household name in the mid 90's.

There is no one, IMO, that has the personality or persona in today's game to grab the attention of casual observers. It's not always about the best player or the most titles. Sometimes it is about the ability to captivate an audience (a general audience, not a group of pool fans), entertain a crowd, and demand that people pay attention to him.

That's the "it" factor that MF had, I believe.

As to MR getting in bed with the Saudis, it seems that is the way of several sports these days. Money talks and the Royal families have literal tons of it.

If you watched the Anthony Joshua vs. Francis Ngonneou(sp) boxing match, the boxers, managers, Eddie Hearn, and everyone involved gushed about everything from the sheiks, the venue, the fans, the food...it was almost over the top. At some point it gets embarrassing. But again, throwing money around makes some folks stop asking questions and upsetting the apple cart.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
it's 1 million, not 5 millions. as to where it is, it's in the saudi's PIF fund. so some sheikh has the money. you planning a heist?
The 5 million refers to the approximate total prize fund for Matchroom events this year and it is fairly accurate.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm a little lost here regarding the thread subject. Has there been a major announcement made by Matchroom that I missed? Th WNT is not new, nor is the fact that many millions will be available in prize money. The relocation of the World Championship to Saudi Arabia is also old news.

Is this capitalism any more than when the WPA moved the World Championships to Qatar for 10 years from 2010-19 was? It's almost unanimous that the Qatar money grab set the sport backward, not forward. I am confident that Matchroom will make it work in Saudi Arabia and look forward to the first event, which is coming fairly soon.

Matchroom is the best thing that has happened to pro pool this century, and if anyone can deliver pool from its doldrum, Matchroom is the one. If pool is anything like golf ten years from now, Matchroom will have pulled off something incredible. Today, though, pool is nothing like golf.

Matchroom set up a huge snooker event and working on a pool series with the Saudi leadership. The Saudi leadership is trying to wash away their sins with bread and circuses

Badpenguin

I doubt Saudi Arabia will bring the sport any more forward than having World Championships in Qatar. Maybe for a certain number of players that can afford to go there, but certainly not fans and pool overall. Who would want to travel to and stay in Saudi Arabia? I have zero desire to go there, I doubt many other pool fans do either. The lack of a crowd also makes it extremely boring to watch.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Have a good day.
You had to be there, and it is obvious that you weren't. True, the movie brought him to the attention of the public, but Fats was a crowd favorite everywhere he went, and he was a frequent guest on nationwide TV shows like Johnny Carson. He was on television quite often and his matches with Mosconi got some of the highest TV ratings of that era. Ratings higher than almost all other sports and the equal to the early Super Bowls. Anywhere he went he was immediately recognized, a trait common only to A-Listers! He was the real deal when it came to celebrities and don't let anyone tell you differently.