When to draw the line with cue maker?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
small claims court isnt a waste of time. if you are mad enough to put some time into getting even or your money back.
if you win you have a judgement against him. you can lien his house or car or whatever your state allows.
i had one against a property once. and he of course never paid. until one day he had a sale pending on it and needed it signed off.

most times you win as they don't bother to even show up so you get full everything you ask for.

no way without a lot of interest and penalties to pay, or no deal. he paid or would lose the sale and all future ones would be a headache..
In Mississippi, at least, there is a thing called "Examination of Judgement Debtor". This examination under oath can occur every 6 months and you can make judgement debtor produce ALL of his current financial data and documents. If you find equity, seize and sell. If he resists, you file a contempt action. Every 6 months . . . This is why lawyers are so loved by so many.

shooter_Hans

A GOOD CUE THE EASY WAY

"Please send me pics of your current inventory. Love the tulip wood. How much?"
Money + Shipment = two couldn't be no happier cats.

I wanted one of Scrugg's cues. I have no patience for waiting. (Would take much of the joy away,) Never considered asking Scruggs to build me a cue like I thought it should be. I got exactly what I wanted and am still happy to this day.

Thanks, Tim, for all you did for all of us.
You know this is how it is supposed to be done. ABC cue maker makes 10 or however many at a time and allocate to dealers or sell them on their own. Rinse and repeat. Taking orders and down payment will eventually exceed 10 or how many they are planning to make. Then you have to worry about each individual and it may take longer for those 10 orders than an actual batch.

I can wait and the well known ones are usually no nonsense and get get your order completed. I’m speaking in general of course.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sweetest refund sometimes doesn't result in cash in hand, but does involve steel toed boots in an alley during the negotiations.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I sent a well known cue maker 900 bucks May 15 2018, was told to expect 16 months delivery time. I'm checking in every 6 months and there's always a "reason" for delay. Even though I am fully aware that the deposit is final and not refundable, wouldn't y'all agree that it would be the right thing to do to pay me back my deposit when it's been 6 years? I don't even play anymore. :-(
Just file a small claims case and get your money back.

Zerksies

And this is the reason why I don't get things made for me. If i can't buy it right now i'm not doing it.

Just another Scumbag in the pool world.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Mississippi, at least, there is a thing called "Examination of Judgement Debtor". This examination under oath can occur every 6 months and you can make judgement debtor produce ALL of his current financial data and documents. If you find equity, seize and sell. If he resists, you file a contempt action. Every 6 months . . . This is why lawyers are so loved by so many.
Sounds like the name of the next Grisham book.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
except if he has done this before then it is theft and not a civil matter as his intentions were to defraud.

taking a deposit and not delivering the goods is considered theft. otherwise all those scammers that get deposits on roofs and driveways would never have to worry about the cops getting involved.

in any case, just the thought of the cops getting involved gets their attention. especially if you also suggest he maybe doesn't declare his work or the deposit money as income. does he want to take it that far or just return the money you ask him.
you really ave no clue how these deals actually play out. live in 'legal fantasy land'. take this to any DA and he's gonna tell you to go to small claims along with saying "good luck getting a dime".

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems like B.S. to me. I'll be the first to admit not knowing all the particulars here, but...if you were quoted 16 months, 6 years is a complete disregard for the customer in my opinion.
If your wait-list is 6 years when the deal is struck, that is one thing. Overshooting a delivery date by four and a half years is a pant-load as far as I am concerned.
There is a 6 letter word to describe the buyers position. Starts with F ends with d.

When to draw the line? It's been there for a while. Some of these cue makers are your best friend when the check book is out.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
So, I sent a well known cue maker 900 bucks May 15 2018, was told to expect 16 months delivery time. I'm checking in every 6 months and there's always a "reason" for delay. Even though I am fully aware that the deposit is final and not refundable, wouldn't y'all agree that it would be the right thing to do to pay me back my deposit when it's been 6 years? I don't even play anymore. :-(
You come on here expecting some type of help from our pool community as if we were some kind of friends or something. Then, you possibly let your "friends" down by not naming the cue maker, possibly setting us up for the same fate.

The slogan "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk" applies here. Generally, we have each other's back around here.

Thanks, "pal"...for a bunch of nothing!

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Name the cue maker! There is no excuse. If he promised 16 months he's either a fraud or incompetent. Just because a guy can make a great cue doesn't mean he's any good at handling a business. I can't believe you've waited this long. He should offer a refund no questions asked along with an apology.

MaxiPool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You come on here expecting some type of help from our pool community as if we were some kind of friends or something. Then, you possibly let your "friends" down by not naming the cue maker, possibly setting us up for the same fate.

The slogan "Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Drunk" applies here. Generally, we have each other's back around here.

Thanks, "pal"...for a bunch of nothing!
I'm happy to name him, but I wanna give him one chance to refund me first.
Main purpose of the thread was just a sanity check to see what you guys think about the situation. Not looking for help or new friends here. :)

I can't imagine it's a world of difference if you get his name today or tomorrow, right?

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm happy to name him, but I wanna give him one chance to refund me first.
Main purpose of the thread was just a sanity check to see what you guys think about the situation. Not looking for help or new friends here. :)

I can't imagine it's a world of difference if you get his name today or tomorrow, right?
You're not alone. Not the first person to be in this situation. It stinks. We lose our faith in dealing with cue makers. I bought a sneaky custom from Sly... I regret it. He took the fun out of it.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I can think of a time to two. 👍
Brought them back from the edge of the abyss?

Yes you're right I can too now that you mention it.

But be sure the one who shamed their money back was only the tip of that cue builder's unhappy victims.

I think getting ripped off by a cue builder must carry similar shame to being raped as reluctant as some people are to report it.