Golf makes pool seem like Childs play.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I though of more reasons pool is better than golf.

In golf, you only get about 20 hits per hour. Almost half are putts:(

You can hit 150 per hour on the practice fairway, but it is pretty much the same shot over and over.

In pool you can get plenty of shots with almost endless variations. Great food for a creative mind.

And you can impress girls playing pool:d You rarely see attractive girls on a golf course:(

Colin Colenso said:
And you can impress girls playing pool:d You rarely see attractive girls on a golf course:(

Colin me boy...you're playing at the wrong golf courses. We have some "beverage cart girls" that drive around the course all day selling drinks that will extend your eyeballs out about 2 feet before thwacking back into their sockets! Talk about some tanned, hard bodied, perfectly shaped, gorgeous faced, hotties in the shortest of shorts and skimpy tops....ouch!!!
Not to speak of the occasional tournament that's sponsored by one of the local dance clubs/strip bar where you have two or three girls on most of the tees messing with your head. And they're not afraid to bare it right then and there. I've yet to run into any situations like that in a pool room.
(Colin's now saying....hmmmmm....think I'll go dust off those clubs)

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
Colin me boy...you're playing at the wrong golf courses. We have some "beverage cart girls" that drive around the course all day selling drinks that will extend your eyeballs out about 2 feet before thwacking back into their sockets! Talk about some tanned, hard bodied, perfectly shaped, gorgeous faced, hotties in the shortest of shorts and skimpy tops....ouch!!!
Not to speak of the occasional tournament that's sponsored by one of the local dance clubs/strip bar where you have two or three girls on most of the tees messing with your head. And they're not afraid to bare it right then and there. I've yet to run into any situations like that in a pool room.

Damn! I have been playing at the wrong golf courses all my life. We used to twist our necks trying to get a glimpse of any woman under the age of 40 that might happen across my old local course :mad:

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
drivermaker said:

Talking about the difficulties of golf. What about undulating brea.... i mean greens?

Kerry Impson

Former player
Silver Member
DM, sounds like you're not playing in the right pool room! I've definitely seen similar types of situations in a pool room (and I'm a girl)!!!! :p Doesn't your pool room have a Bud Light Night? Come to think of it, this pool room was kind of more of a bar......

runmout said:
DM, sounds like you're not playing in the right pool room! I've definitely seen similar types of situations in a pool room (and I'm a girl)!!!! :p Doesn't your pool room have a Bud Light Night? Come to think of it, this pool room was kind of more of a bar......

Maybe I'm not....next time please take pictures. I'll send one of those disposable digital Kodaks if needed!

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
It would be much easier to build a machine to play good golf than to build one that could play pool. eg. A machine can be built to drive a ball 400m within a few degrees of accuracy. In pool, getting a machine to line up accurately enough to pot a ball would be tough enough,let alone the machine trying to calculate the prefered positional shot and executing it. It is possible, but a more difficult problem to solve than for golf I believe.

I don't agree about the difficulty regarding stroking machines. There are more degrees of freedom on the golf stroke compared to the pool stroke. And the precision might just be very similar ... but this is lust to stroke a ball with success (pocket an object ball or hit the proper area in the fairway), not actually playing the game.

Regarding a machine to play the game of golf vs pool, the golf machine would have to solve course management problems which might end up being similar in complexity to solving positional play aspects of pool.

My golf play is worse than my pool play, but I regularly get the opportunity to hit golf balls off a GolfTech swing analyser with a ??? Launch Monitor watching. You don't have to miss by much to mess up a golf shot ...

Just my thoughts ...

Dave

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
I've actually played quite a bit of golf, and at first, I shared the same opinion as you do, but after hittings thousands of balls, playing almost daily for some period of time, I've come to the following conclusion. Golf is infinitely more difficult *physically*. However, I think there are more shot possibilities on a pool table. To play good golf, you really have to master a physical skill, which is why only 2%, or so, of the golfers out there can break 100. If you aren't a very good golfer, it means you struggle to hit the ball. On the other hand, there is pool. Most players, after playing for any length of time, can pocket balls fairly well. However, pocketing balls isn't enough to be all that good of a player. So, in contrast to golf, if you aren't a very good pool player, chances are it isn't because of a physical limitation. It is probably because you make mistakes in judgement, pattern selection, position, etc.

Think of this, if you could absolutely *master* 15 shots in golf, and you could hit the ball straight 90% of the time (which not even the pros do, but I'm speaking hypothetically here), you would be a HELL of a player. Probably PGA tour quality. However, try being a good shotmaker on a pool table with only 15 shots in your arsenal, and you'll go broke if you try to take your game out on the road.

So, to sum up my opinion here, I think if you take just the two games, not including a persons mechanics or anything else, just the games themselves, I think pool is the more difficult of the two. I don't know if "difficult" is the right word, but I do think that pool is the more "involved" of the two.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
A 3-yr old kid here shot a hole-in-one with his Snoopy club.
It's in the Guiness.
How many 3-yr olds can make a spot shot?
Nuff said. lol

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
It's in the Guiness.
Nuff said. lol

LOL...well said!

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
It's in the Guiness.
Nuff said. lol
That doesn't make any sense!

Pro-golfers make a hole in one about one in one thousand attempts.

Pro pool players make the spot shot about 90% of the time in comp.

A fairer question would be, how many 3 year old have run 7 straight racks.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:
That doesn't make any sense!

Pro-golfers make a hole in one about one in one thousand attempts.

Pro pool players make the spot shot about 90% of the time in comp.

A fairer question would be, how many 3 year old have run 7 straight racks.
Well, since my 3-yr old nephew can't even reach the rails, it'd be tough. :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good thread. Though I was never a great golfer, I played varsity golf in high school for two years and have played pool for thirty five years, so I have experience in both. I've always believed golf to be tougher than pool. It has already been said that there are so many moving parts in the golf swing that hitting it straight consistently is virtually impossible, so I'll simply concur. I think Colin made some great points, though, and I don't feel as strongly as I used to about golf being tougher.

Still, other than the near impossibility of hitting it straight on the golf course, I think the mental game is a little tougher in golf than in pool,and I think it's because the lows are far lower in golf than in pool, making it just a little harder to keep your composure in golf than in pool. For example:

In all my years of pool, I've never:

hit the cue ball into a lake
hit the cue ball under a tree
hit the cue ball over a fence
hit the cue ball somewhere where it took five minutes to find it
hit the cue ball somewhere where I almost don't want to go fetch it

These situations on the golf couse are not only annoying, but can be extremely disheartening.

Also, I find it a little easier to bounce back from a setback in pool. If I've played three good racks in a row, one mistake would rarely negate all of my achievements, but a triple bogey will wipe out three birdies on the golf course like magic.

The golfing gods are nasty, even compared to the pool gods, of whom I've occasionally spoken less than fondly.

Let the debate continue, there's no right answer.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Good thread. Though I was never a great golfer, I played varsity golf in high school for two years and have played pool for thirty five years, so I have experience in both. I've always believed golf to be tougher than pool. It has already been said that there are so many moving parts in the golf swing that hitting it straight consistently is virtually impossible, so I'll simply concur. I think Colin made some great points, though, and I don't feel as strongly as I used to about golf being tougher.

Still, other than the near impossibility of hitting it straight on the golf course, I think the mental game is a little tougher in golf than in pool,and I think it's because the lows are far lower in golf than in pool, making it just a little harder to keep your composure in golf than in pool. For example:

These situations on the golf couse are not only annoying, but can be extremely disheartening.

Also, I find it a little easier to bounce back from a setback in pool. If I've played three good racks in a row, one mistake would rarely negate all of my achievements, but a triple bogey will wipe out three birdies on the golf course like magic.

The golfing gods are nasty, even compared to the pool gods, of whom I've occasionally spoken less than fondly.

Let the debate continue, there's no right answer.

Yeah...they are just two different games with pros and cons and different tough challenges.

To add to your list, in Golf we also have to contend with:
Sunburn, sunstroke, sand in your eyes, horrible winds, pouring rain, frozen fingers, landing in divots, plug marks in greens, sweaty crotch rash, marking cards...oohh the hassle.

In pool we have to put up with:
Slow cagey opponents, drunks and idiots getting in your ear, juggling your game with visits to the bar and bathroom. :p

In The Beginning?

CaptainJR said:
Go for it Phylbert. You play pool so you must enjoy frustration. Believe me, you don't understand what the word 'frustration' means until you take up golf.

It has been joked about that the name Golf, was chose to call the game Golf after it was invented, because all the other BAD FOUR LETTER WORDS were already in use.

Think some golfers know for sure if they just have better clubs, balls, cloths, etc. Their game will improve drastically. Pool players on the other hand do not subscribe to this theory.

sjm said:

DCP has..... ;)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
DCP has..... ;)

I once hit a down on a cueball so it jumped when it hit the object ball. It then bounced onto the floor, across the room, out the front door of the bar, rolled along the sidewalk, across a four lane busy street, (cars stopping) and almost into the drainage gutter. (I felt pretty stupid running across the street when I realized I was still carrying a cuestick) If it had gone into the gutter, it would have probably ended up in New Orleans, making it the longest pool shot in history. Fate takes away another trophy...sigh.

As for golf or pool being harder: Pool has 16 balls to consider; golf has only one. To me, a former long-time golfer, this makes pool harder ...and a LOT less boring. Golf today is sooooo sloooooowwwww and expensive that the boredom factor has tripled and the fun has halved. Plus when I'm an old man and unable to get around as much, I will still be able to play pool at the funny farm.

Jeff Livingston

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
chefjeff said:
I once hit a down on a cueball so it jumped when it hit the object ball. It then bounced onto the floor, across the room, out the front door of the bar, rolled along the sidewalk, across a four lane busy street, (cars stopping) and almost into the drainage gutter.

Jeff, I'm pretty sure that's a foul.