Migraines & Pool

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??
Personally, I get about 10-12 per year and I just ran out of my prescription for them so I'm taking a few excedrin migraine for the pain when I get one. Luckily, I've only gotten a migraine once while I was playing pool and it really threw off my game. If you suffer from them, you know what I mean. Well, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of responses I get. Thanks. :D :cool:

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Yeah, watch out when you start to smell your balls..., especially that green 6 ball. It smells the funniest, uh, mm..., like a stale almond? but a little sweet. Then, my vision goes. I just want to make it to the toilet and not spray on anyone who stops me while I'm staggering across the room, "Hon, are you okay?" Stop and just get out of my way, please...

Well, Imitrex is my wonder drug and it's legal, ha ha. Which reminds me I need to call in for my refill. Thanks for the reminder.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
my migrains are compliments from an accident i was in .spinal cord damaged/surgery.taking 4-6 tabs of 10/500 Lortab daily.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
If your migrains are anywhere as bad as mine, no over the counter will relieve the pressure i feel.What i use now does real good.I'm almost 60 and didnt ever have any migrain until about 2 yrs ago.This is a prescription drug Midrin, also Duradrin which is generic for the medrin.I have tried imtrex but it had some side effects i didnt like.I just take 2 when i feel one coming on, main thing is act fast and dont let it go to long before you take something. no way can i even think about playing when i have one, lights, noise and smell are all effected.Migrains are real azzkickers.Hope this helped and hope you never have another.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Is it just me ...

or is over the counter medicine just not not strong anymore? I remember 20-30 years ago, some of them used to make me go "Whoa" when I took them, but not today.

I also like Advil Luiqi-gels, and I carry some in my case when I get the occasional headache (although not a migraine) when I am out.

I have taken Loritabs and they didn't do much at all for me. I can't believe that people sell those on the side and actually get good money for them.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Maxalt is similar to Imitrex and works really good. The pill evaporates on your tongue and you don't have to drink a bunch to get it down. This is handy when it's a full blown migrane. I try to nip them in the bud. When I feel a headache coming on I take immediate action. If I don't have any prescription meds with me, a couple of motrin and a sudaphed or some other otc decongestant seems to help take the pressure off.
Am I the only one who takes refuge in a hot shower, lights out for comfort? I don't know whether it's the pulse of the water on my head or the steam, or the feeling of warmth (sometimes I get real cold sweat chills), that just seems to keep me from throwing up before the meds kick in. I would highly recommend it.
I've never gone to the pool hall with a migrane, but I've sure left in a hurry to get home before it kills me.

McCue Banger McCue

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
or is over the counter medicine just not not strong anymore? I remember 20-30 years ago, some of them used to make me go "Whoa" when I took them, but not today.

I also like Advil Luiqi-gels, and I carry some in my case when I get the occasional headache (although not a migraine) when I am out.

I have taken Loritabs and they didn't do much at all for me. I can't believe that people sell those on the side and actually get good money for them.

well a lot of medicines have had to remove or tone down it's main ingredients because of stupid people abusing them. DXM for example used to be found in lots of cough syrups and pills until people realized you can drink two bottles of cough syrup and "trip".

loratabs are actually pretty weak in the painkillers catagory, but anything fora high i guess. i personally prefer percocets or oxycodines myself but really anyone with a perscription can get insane amounts of money for thier pills.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
9Ball_JJ said:
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??:
I suffered with migraines all of my life until someone diagnosed that they were triggered by my allergies. I'm allergic to everything, but for me, ragweed triggers headaches that can turn to migraines. When I get migraines, no amount of medicine helps. I can barely walk, let alone hear the sound of balls hitting.

Fred

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:

Those work great for me also.:D

Kevin G.

Registered
what works for me...

When I get a terrible headache, I go to the TAP league’s website and count typos, misspellings, improper grammar and stupid sentences. By the time I get past the home page, I've forgotten that I have a headache.
They say laughter is the best medicine...

etimmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman said:
I suffered with migraines all of my life until someone diagnosed that they were triggered by my allergies. I'm allergic to everything, but for me, ragweed triggers headaches that can turn to migraines. When I get migraines, no amount of medicine helps. I can barely walk, let alone hear the sound of balls hitting.

Fred
Fred, I am also a migraine sufferer. I go to a headach clinic. I am on a beta blocker every day and take a drug called ..Relpax when a migraine hits. I think you should see a doctor and get that drug to help, it does work. Without any drug help I get a headach 5 days a week and can not even leave the house. There is help available if you want it.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
DelaWho??? said:
Maxalt is similar to Imitrex and works really good. The pill evaporates on your tongue and you don't have to drink a bunch to get it down. This is handy when it's a full blown migrane. I try to nip them in the bud. When I feel a headache coming on I take immediate action. If I don't have any prescription meds with me, a couple of motrin and a sudaphed or some other otc decongestant seems to help take the pressure off.
Am I the only one who takes refuge in a hot shower, lights out for comfort? I don't know whether it's the pulse of the water on my head or the steam, or the feeling of warmth (sometimes I get real cold sweat chills), that just seems to keep me from throwing up before the meds kick in. I would highly recommend it.
I've never gone to the pool hall with a migrane, but I've sure left in a hurry to get home before it kills me.

McCue Banger McCue

I find a hot shower will help sometimes if its not one of the real bad ones . I also get sick when they are real bad, ive had to go to the hospital a few times and get shots of some strong pain killers when i let it go thinking it would just go away. very important to act fast and dont think it will just go away.

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
psykoyow said:
Imitrex is magical...but magic is expensive.
-yow!
I agree with you on this one!!

And etimmons, I'm going to look into that as well. I'm like Fred and allergic to everything. So this might help me as well.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
etimmons said:
Fred, I am also a migraine sufferer. I go to a headach clinic. I am on a beta blocker every day and take a drug called ..Relpax when a migraine hits. I think you should see a doctor and get that drug to help, it does work. Without any drug help I get a headach 5 days a week and can not even leave the house. There is help available if you want it.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Since my migraines are allergy related, I'm on a weekly course of treating the allergies. I haven't had a migraine in two years, as opposed to getting migraines from late August to early October daily. Well, maybe I've had two, but they weren't so bad comparitively speaking.

When my migraines were severe, I missed work and on a few occassions ended up in the emergency room. I think that's behind me now. (Fingers very crossed).

Fred

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
9Ball_JJ said:
Hi everyone!! I was just wondering if anybody on the board suffers from migraine headaches. If so, have they ever affected your pool playing?? What do you guys take in order to get some relief from the pain??
Personally, I get about 10-12 per year and I just ran out of my prescription for them so I'm taking a few excedrin migraine for the pain when I get one. Luckily, I've only gotten a migraine once while I was playing pool and it really threw off my game. If you suffer from them, you know what I mean. Well, I thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of responses I get. Thanks. :D :cool:

I used to get them real bad, then I quit drinking caffeine. I hit about two weeks of non-stop withdrawl Migraines, they went away for good.

This was about 4 years ago. Started drinking coffee again (on occasion) quit the sodas altogether. Still no migraines :D .

Barring that move, take Excedrin and get your eyes checked:cool:

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Migraines

I have had migraines for over 40 years. Over the years I have found a few ways to ease them or hold them off...but not entirely. When low pressure weather comes to your town, many of us will get M's. Taking extra magnesium vitamins seems to help for some. Do not eat packaged processed foods late in the evening...the preservatives are what really cause the problems. I can eat a couple of hot dogs at 10 pm and almost bet that I may get a headache by 3 am. Coconut, pineapple, chocolate and cheese could also be a cause.
You might check online for other things. My doctor in Phoenix gave me some Propranolol /Inderal a few years ago and guess what? > it works GREAT for not having the pain. (And it only cost about $10 for 30)
It takes about 20-30 minutes for my headache to begin (I have learned how to notice when it is coming) I take a pill which works in about 15 minutes and NO PAIN !!! I still feel bad because of how the headache affects me but NO PAIN !! One special note* I have only had ONE migraine in all these years when I was playing pool...