2021 Derby City Classic

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure hope that this event happens. I have already booked my hotel in anticipation. Although, I am holding off on paying entry fees until probably late November or early December. As much as I am against masks...I would even don a mask in order to participate in this event. I intend to play in the banks and the one-pocket events. I think that for the 2022 DCC, I am going to enter all three events...but will stick to the two for this coming event.

Anyone else planning on attending?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to picture that happening in three months. DCC is crowded. I mean, the entire place is like trying to get to a bathroom at a playoff game. Worming through crowds, packed audiences and player arenas. They've probably had to pay off the fire marshal to keep that thing running. I just don't see how they could pull that off unless they prohibited any non-players from the arena and did a stream only, but I don't see how that would work financially. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

I did sign up for Turning Stone. Hopefully they can make that happen. I think that has a better shot.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I sure hope that this event happens. I have already booked my hotel in anticipation. Although, I am holding off on paying entry fees until probably late November or early December. As much as I am against masks...I would even don a mask in order to participate in this event. I intend to play in the banks and the one-pocket events. I think that for the 2022 DCC, I am going to enter all three events...but will stick to the two for this coming event.

plan to but able to attend is an issue

DCC is not the most convenient time of year for me.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Can't imagine the Derby with players or fans being required to wear masks. and I'm sure Diamond would realize that under these circumstances, not many players or fans would show up, which would probably make it impossible for them to make their financial ends meet.

Unless the state of Indiana deems large indoor gatherings to be safe well in advance of the event, which is about 4 1/2 months away, cancellation seems likely. There is also the matter of out of area visitors. For example, Turning Stone, last I checked, was only allowing entry to visitors within a 120 mile radius. How will the Horseshoe handle it?

I'd venture a guess that Diamond will make the call by November 1, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if the 2021 Derby takes place as scheduled.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they have it and require wearing a mask, I would still attend. It will be interesting to see how they work around it. I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel it either.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I would be surprised if it happens

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to sign up my month old grandson who is 1/4 Filipino for the DCC.

Two questions - will they waive the one foot on the floor requirement and will they allow timeouts for diaper change?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd like to sign up my month old grandson who is 1/4 Filipino for the DCC.

Two questions - will they waive the one foot on the floor requirement and will they allow timeouts for diaper change?

Absolutely for the foot on the floor requirement. The six year old Willie Mosconi used to stand on a milk carton to shoot his shots in exhibitions against Greenleaf ... so there's some precedent that works in your favor.

As for the diaper change timeout, I know of no precedent, but I've seen many players take a timeout for much less.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... As for the diaper change timeout, I know of no precedent, but I've seen many players take a timeout for much less.

The last tournament I saw Ronnie Allen play in he took frequent beer breaks. He explained to his opponent that he had diabetes and needed to keep his blood sugar up.:eek:

And if you cut off the unused portions of the diapers you can sell them as masks.:thumbup:

Bob <-- making his two N95 masks last much longer than designed for

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last tournament I saw Ronnie Allen play in he took frequent beer breaks. He explained to his opponent that he had diabetes and needed to keep his blood sugar up.:eek:

And if you cut off the unused portions of the diapers you can sell them as masks.:thumbup:

Bob <-- making his two N95 masks last much longer than designed for

I hadn't though of that. If they ask about the smell I'll tell them it's a special disinfectant.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe I will pass this year.

Certainly it's a personal choice to do whatever you're going to do but at 67 it's way too crowded in the tournament rooms and hallways and not worth the risk for me.

Lou Figueroa
would like
to see 68

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My prediction is it will happen, very few will be wearing masks, and some form of authority such as gaming commission, local govt, police, or fire Marshall, will come in and shut the whole place down.

I think the only large event mom and pop promoter that has a chance for 2021 is Pat and the international open. Pat is super smart, and maybe he can nail the logistics of the event. He also has the plus of the streaming and dvd sales.