Lighting FAQ

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading many questions on the forums I wanted to post this as a future reference in order to help answer any basic questions regarding lighting. I work in the lighting industry and wanted to help as there seems to be many basic questions out there. In the future I am going to do a comparison of some of the various lighting fixtures available in the market.

First there are some basic lighting terms you must be familiar with to make the correct choice in lighting your table:

Watts: Wattage is a measure of electrical power used. It is a product of current and voltage. Sockets for fixtures will have a maximum lamp wattage rating which should not be exceeded. When manufacturers determine the maximum wattage on a socket it is due to the amount of heat the socket can handle. The amount of heat produced by a light source is directly proportional to the amount of watts drawn. Some sources are much more efficient than others so there will be less heat generated due to using a more efficient product and less watts. A 20 Watt Incandescent, 20 Watt LED, and 20 Watt CFL will all emit the same amount of heat. You should be able to use a lamp of less wattage however when starting with Incandescent.

Lumen: Lamps and LED fixtures have lumen ratings. A Lumen is the luminous intensity of amount of light emitted from the light source. Some sources are much more efficient in the amount of lumen's they can produce for a given amount of power. The term for this is lumen's per watt. For example a common replacement for a 100 Watt incandescent is a 25 Watt CFL. They both have around 1300 lumen's but CFL uses ¼ of the wattage. The incandescent in this case has 13 lumen's per watt and the CFL has 52 lumens per watt. Some newer LED fixtures have over 100 lumen's per watt! In addition to this the lumen's of lamps depreciate over time. For non-LED products there are two lumen ratings – intitial lumen's and mean lumen's. Use the mean lumen rating when choosing a product as these are the lumen's you will get for the majority of the product life. More on LED lumen losses later in this article.

Product Life: Non-LED product life has a B-50 rating. What this means is that the hours given are expressed as when on average half of the lamps are burned out and half are still working. On average a 20,000 hour rated fluorescent fixture will have half the lamps burned out at 20,000 burn hours. As a good practice usable life is around 75% to 80% of this rating. At that time it would be wise to change out all lamps due to decreased lumen's and the fact the lamps will in all probability soon fail. For LED the life given is a function as to when you will lose enough lumen's so you will need to replace them. This is expressed as an “L” rating. The most common is L70 @ a given amount of hours. As an example if you purchase a LED lamp with an L70 rating at 20,000 hours it means it will still be burning at 20,000 hours but only be at 70% of its rated lumen output and you may want to change as you have lost enough lumen's to warrant it.

CCT: Correlated Color Temperature. This is the rating to tell you if a lamp is warm or cold. The higher the color temperature is the cooler it is. Some common examples are:
2700K – Incandescent – Warm Colors (brings out reds and yellows)
4100K – Fluorescent – office Lighting (general lighting – brings out more blues)
6000K – Fluorescent or LED outdoor – Brings out the most blues - Daylight
There of course are many variations to this. Fluorescents and LED's are available in most of the common color temperatures. The choice of color temperature seems to vary greatly per individual.

CRI: CRI stands for color rendering index. A lamp with a high CRI renders colors more accurately than one with a low CRI. A perfect light source (incandescent or the sun) has a CRI of 100. In order for manufacturers to determine CRI they have their product tested against a perfect (100 CRI) reference source of the same color temperature. They test several pastel color chips against their lamp and for every visible color shift they subtract points. As a result there may be circumstances where a lamp has a good CRI rating but yet doesn't do so well showing a particular color. LED generally has not done well with Reds so the lighting so many manufacturers are starting to a R9 (Red) value in addition to CRI. For practical purposes in general lighting such as warehouses 70CRI is the standard. For retailers and more critical applications 80 or even 90 CRI are commonly used.

Foot Candles and Lux: Foot candles are the measurement of light hitting a work plane. One lumen hitting 1 square foot of work plane equals one foot candle. One foot candle hitting one square meter is 1 lux. The industry accepted calculation is that 10 Lux is equal to 1 foot candle. Many of the industry standards are published in lux so it is important to know both. Most of the published data I have found mentions 50 foot candles at the center of the table being the accepted amount of light for competitive billiards. That would mean a minimum of 1700 lumen's hitting the surface on a regulation table. You did notice I said that a foot candle is the amount of light hitting the surface? Depending on the design of the fixture the amount of light lost by the time it hits the table surface can vary greatly. A common fixture for billiards that I have seen has several incandescent lamps which not only direct light down to the table but also light a decorative glass side. I would approximate up to 50% of the lumen's may be lost before they hit the table surface. A fluorescent or LED fixture with direct downward lighting may have 90% or more of the lumen's reaching the work plane.

Options for Existing Tables:

Incandescent: As mentioned earlier incandescents have the highest CRI. They will do the best job in bringing out the warmer colors. The downfall is that they are not very efficient and lose lumen's much quicker than other technologies. You can closely approximate how much it will cost to run a lamp by calculating $1 per watt if you burned the lamp 24/7 all year. If you averaged three hours a day and had three 150 watt lamps in your fixture it would cost less than $60 per year. You will probably need to change the lamps at least twice per year as incandescents are normally only rated at 1000 hours (half will be burned out at 500 hours) and light output will diminish quickly within a couple hundred burn hours. A better answer may be a CFL or LED lamp with a high CRI. Lamps that are energy star rated have some standards required by the Department of Energy in regards to efficiency and color consistency so I would use that a minimum standard when choosing products. LED lamps are getting very close in price to CFL's so I personally may lean that way. Just be careful to make sure it has a decent R9 value and that it is omni-directional if your existing fixture has a standard A lamp which also emits lumen's in all directions (for up light and/or lighting the sides of the fixture). If your fixture has a different incandescent you are supposed to use for it (such as a directional Par lamp) there are LED replacement lamps for almost all of these.

Fluorescent: If your existing fixture has T12 lamps (the fat tubes) I would convert to a T8 system. You generally just need to replace the ballast and lamps and you are good to go. If you have existing T8 lamps there have been some good improvements in recent years. There are T8 lamps now with 65,000
hour lives (half are burned out at 65,000 hours). Playing 3 hours a day 365 days per year these will last many of us a lifetime. The newer fluorescents also have improved lumen performance and CRI. In a fluorescent system the weak point is the ballast. If the ballast came with the fixture or if you purchased a cheap one from a home store I would recommend spending $20 - $30 to get a good ballast. These are more efficient and will save you money due to electricity savings. Also I have personally experienced 20% additional lumen's out of the fixture by changing the factory ballast. Many fixture manufacturers buy the least expensive ballast they can to keep cost down. Even if the existing ballast is a brand name it may be their cheap OEM line used to compete on bids with the offshore stuff. I would check with a local electrical supply house to see if you need an upgrade.

LED tubes are now starting to be the rage. As mentioned above there are fluorescent systems close to the life at a fraction of the cost. If you do want to use an LED tube I would recommend the ones where you purchased a dedicated driver to replace the existing fluorescent ballast. As mentioned before the ballast is the weakest part of the system and the Led tubes that are made to run with a dedicated driver seem to perform better.

New Fixtures: Besides the fixtures mentioned above LED's are now the rage. They vary greatly in quality due to the influx of offshore companies capitalizing on the trend. I will be comparing some of these in a future post. For now if you see a fixture you like but are unsure of the company making it I would recommend you purchase a product that is Design Lights Consortium approved. Like energy star this testing is done through the department of energy to make sure a basic standard is met. I have seen many fixtures claim to be DLC certified on their web page only to find they are not. To be sure you can search the qualified product list at https://www.designlights.org/QPL

More to come....

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,
Nice thread. A lot of good information here. Thanks for taking the time to post. I learned some things here.

By the way, I see you play with a Chad Carter cue. I also play with one of Chad's cues, it has an ivory joint/ferrule. Very nice hit.

r/DCP

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Interesting article. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Question for you about voltage. How was it decided or did they come up with using 110/120 V as the standard household voltage.

I worked for automotive company and during the energy crunch they decided to remove 1/2 the flourescent tubes in the fixtures over the storage areas to reduce costs. It took them years to realize that they weren't saving anything because the ballast were still connected, so they were essentially paying for electricity and not getting the benefit.

��

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In your opinion, what would be the best rating florescent to play under for extended periods of time. 6000 K???

I planned on making a switch to LED eventually because it's easier on the eyes. Can 6000 K florescent be the same as LED?

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using 5000K-6500K indoors for fluorescent gained in popularity a few years ago. Many studies were done and manufacturers sold them as "full spectrum lamps" stating that they worked best for seasonal effective disorders and such. If I had to guess 60% of the fluorescents we sell are 4100K, 25 % in 3500K, and maybe 15% on the rest. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them but they aren't that popular (at least in commercial and industrial spaces). Eye strain and color temperature really comes into play more in very low light conditions (due to your eyes relying on the rods in your retina at very low levels) so from a comfort standpoint you should be good with any of the standard fluorescent color temps. Many of the cheap LED fixtures are all 6000K plus. This is due to the fact that LED's are more effecient in that color temp and you can use less expensive LED's to make a bright 6000K fixture. I would be more concerned about how well the lamp renders the color of your cloth and the biliard balls. Most offices are 4000K if you would like to use that as a reference. Many lighting supply houses have counter displays showing the different lamps and color temps.

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting article. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Question for you about voltage. How was it decided or did they come up with using 110/120 V as the standard household voltage.

I worked for automotive company and during the energy crunch they decided to remove 1/2 the flourescent tubes in the fixtures over the storage areas to reduce costs. It took them years to realize that they weren't saving anything because the ballast were still connected, so they were essentially paying for electricity and not getting the benefit.

��

LOL. Ive seen that alot also. Another energy saving measure was to turn off half the lights to cut the elecricity in half. Works great except now you onkly have half as much light.

TheBook

Silver Member
Boby

Question for you about voltage. Do you know how it was decided or did they come up with using 110/120 V as the standard household voltage?

Thanks

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. I heard that 110/120 was used int he US due to electric lighting. The original Edison bulb would burn out too quickly at 240.

Boby

Question for you about voltage. Do you know how it was decided or did they come up with using 110/120 V as the standard household voltage?

Thanks

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
true dat too!

Many thanks. I'm going to add that one to my list; it's quite original :thumbup:

A couple of my favoritest gaff tables had light from one side that was almost equally as strong as the light from overhead. Most shots were no different on those tables but the really tough shots often didn't quite fall. The ball finally dropped for me and I started doing some practice shots. the balls might have appeared 1/16" or something like that over from where they really were. No big deal for a banger but when a high level playing stranger came to play he could be scatching his rear wondering why balls weren't falling like they should. It was one of them there optical delusions!

Hu

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Table lighting

The biggest problem with table lights is the glare that they produce on all non metallic smooth surfaces.

I look at the light from a photographers point of view and glare or polarized light and polarized reflection can be a major issue.

Fact all lighting that has been softened or defused or reflected has polarized light.
Fact when polarized light strikes all non metallic smooth materials it becomes polarized reflection AKA Glare.

It is possible to design a table lights that will not produce polarized light, but it will take some research...........................

The book Light Science and Magic is very informational.

TheBook

Silver Member
Yes. I heard that 110/120 was used int he US due to electric lighting. The original Edison bulb would burn out too quickly at 240.

I was told at the Edison Research lab that was moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn Mi that it was also because of the light bulb. Part of the solution to developing a light bulb that would last was the voltage and at that time the light burned the longest at 110V.. Edison was also pushing DC current while others were promoting AC as AC could be transmitted further but Edison felt that DC was safer. Europe used 220V as the standard for houses but by the time that AC became the standard in the USA the majority of the users were set up for 110V so that is how 110/120 became our base for electricity and why we use 110V instead of 220V .

I was just wondering if you heard that as the reason and it wasn't something that the tour guide made up when I asked him.

🎱

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I was told at the Edison Research lab that was moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn Mi that it was also because of the light bulb. Part of the solution to developing a light bulb that would last was the voltage and at that time the light burned the longest at 110V.. Edison was also pushing DC current while others were promoting AC as AC could be transmitted further but Edison felt that DC was safer. Europe used 220V as the standard for houses but by the time that AC became the standard in the USA the majority of the users were set up for 110V so that is how 110/120 became our base for electricity and why we use 110V instead of 220V .

I was just wondering if you heard that as the reason and it wasn't something that the tour guide made up when I asked him.

🎱

Edison was a greedy power hungry jerk that lied about a/c current only because he didn't invent it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest problem with table lights is the glare that they produce on all non metallic smooth surfaces.

I look at the light from a photographers point of view and glare or polarized light and polarized reflection can be a major issue.

Fact all lighting that has been softened or defused or reflected has polarized light.
Fact when polarized light strikes all non metallic smooth materials it becomes polarized reflection AKA Glare.

It is possible to design a table lights that will not produce polarized light, but it will take some research...........................

The book Light Science and Magic is very informational.

According to the IES handbook glare occurs in 1 of 2 ways: either the luminance is too high or the luminance ratios are too high. As you mentioned Specular glare or Veiling reflection can occur with some natural and electric light sources especially against highly reflective surfaces (sunlight off a body of water is a good example). In indoor lighting if the light is directed at a dark surface such as a very dark cloth much of the light is absorbed and not reflected . That is why it is critical to know your floor, ceiling, and wall refectances when designing lighting as you need more lumens to light a darker space. Visual comfort is one of the many reasons architects usually ask for sample light fixtures to " mock up" or try in the space before purchasing. I don't see billiard lighting being any more or less prone to this. Hopefully manufacturers will continue to make improvements on fixtures to provide even pleasant light. I believe the photography approach may be a little more critical in that one moment of glare can ruin a shoot.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using 5000K-6500K indoors for fluorescent gained in popularity a few years ago. Many studies were done and manufacturers sold them as "full spectrum lamps" stating that they worked best for seasonal effective disorders and such. If I had to guess 60% of the fluorescents we sell are 4100K, 25 % in 3500K, and maybe 15% on the rest. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them but they aren't that popular (at least in commercial and industrial spaces). Eye strain and color temperature really comes into play more in very low light conditions (due to your eyes relying on the rods in your retina at very low levels) so from a comfort standpoint you should be good with any of the standard fluorescent color temps. Many of the cheap LED fixtures are all 6000K plus. This is due to the fact that LED's are more effecient in that color temp and you can use less expensive LED's to make a bright 6000K fixture. I would be more concerned about how well the lamp renders the color of your cloth and the biliard balls. Most offices are 4000K if you would like to use that as a reference. Many lighting supply houses have counter displays showing the different lamps and color temps.

Off your thread here, I stopped at home depot and bought. Philips florescent bulbs in 6500 k (labeled daylight). It was $20 for four of them (not bad for an experiment) and I got home and switched out my 3000 k bulbs that came with the shop lights I use for table lighting.

The difference was pretty amazing. I played for an hour, and found my eyes focusing a little better. The real test will be a three hour session under the lights.

Also the blue on the simonis 860 really pops under these 6500 k bulbs. Looks even more beautiful than before.

Thanks again for starting this thread and inspiring to make the switch. I was very happy with the results. They will do until I can switch to full LED.

One more question, should I change the ballast out on the light as well? Even though there isn't a noticeable flicker? What ratings should I look for when choosing a ballast.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
IES hand book

According to the IES handbook glare occurs in 1 of 2 ways: either the luminance is too high or the luminance ratios are too high. As you mentioned Specular glare or Veiling reflection can occur with some natural and electric light sources especially against highly reflective surfaces (sunlight off a body of water is a good example). In indoor lighting if the light is directed at a dark surface such as a very dark cloth much of the light is absorbed and not reflected . That is why it is critical to know your floor, ceiling, and wall refectances when designing lighting as you need more lumens to light a darker space. Visual comfort is one of the many reasons architects usually ask for sample light fixtures to " mock up" or try in the space before purchasing. I don't see billiard lighting being any more or less prone to this. Hopefully manufacturers will continue to make improvements on fixtures to provide even pleasant light. I believe the photography approach may be a little more critical in that one moment of glare can ruin a shoot.

You are missing the point, and what you or I think doesn't always equal the truth...
I don't care what the surface of the table looks like,
I care about seeing the exact shape and color of the ball I am shooting, and I want no shadows and I don't want to be blinded with the lights reflection off the pool balls.

Fact
All polarized light striking a NON metallic Smooth surface PRODUCES POLARIZED REFLECTION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)

One more fact is it takes a brighter light to see color.

Please buy the book Light Science and Magic, then It would be possible to talk about seeing different colored smooth non metallic objects.

Last edited:

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
....Hopefully manufacturers will continue to make improvements on fixtures to provide even pleasant light.

that, with very few high-end exceptions, isn't going to happen. (although i agree that it would make sense.) mindset is that the fixture is "art", which happens to give off light. but it's the BULB that can make all the difference in the world!

bulbs designs have done a 180 in the past several years to take the lighting effect & experience to a whole new height. you'd be surprised how a simplistic "blah" fixture can be ramped-up with the right bulb to make it pop. (chrome-tipped, crystal-cut, molded)

GE has a lot of what i described. you should check them out. ;)

BobY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are missing the point, and what you or I think doesn't always equal the truth...
I don't care what the surface of the table looks like,
I care about seeing the exact shape and color of the ball I am shooting, and I want no shadows and I don't want to be blinded with the lights reflection off the pool balls.

Fact
All polarized light striking a NON metallic Smooth surface PRODUCES POLARIZED REFLECTION

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarization_(waves)

One more fact is it takes a brighter light to see color.

Please buy the book Light Science and Magic, then It would be possible to talk about seeing different colored smooth non metallic objects.

I wrote this initial help as a general guide to help those with basic lighting questions. I am a lighting professional who is LC (Lighting Certified) and an active member of the IES. The lighting industry handbook which both I and the architect and engineering community use is the IES handbook www.ies.org/handbook. This book goes into hundreds of pages of detail about optical radiation.

The photons in the optical radiation we perceive as light are always bouncing off of object. I does not matter if it is metal or not. If you want to really get deep in the woods it is critical to know the shape and reflectance of the object as the angle and intensity of reflected light depend greatly on this.

Polarization is a completely different and has nothing to do with glare. Glare is light that is too bright in intensity or contrast. I do hear of it from time to time on poorly designed fixture but most of the times it involves outdoor lighting. Here is a good article to further your understanding:

http://www.archlighting.com/lighting-design/controlling-glare.aspx

Are you saying it is the reflected light off of the balls which is causing glare?