How do you get your computer connected to your TV?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Is it as simple as a specific cable? If so, what kind?

I'd like to watch TAR 24 on my tube! Perhaps if it's determined it's easy for even techno-phobes, more people here will do it and more will buy TAR matches and watch more live streams!

Thanks!

Matt <-- needs to go to Best Buy or Radio Shack!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I'd like to watch TAR 24 on my tube! Perhaps if it's determined it's easy for even techno-phobes, more people here will do it and more will buy TAR matches and watch more live streams!

Thanks!

Depends on your tv, and your computer. If you have a flat panel tv from the last 4-5 years, it will have HDMI connections, and probably VGA as well.

If your laptop is from the last 1 to 2 years, it may have HDMI. This is the best. And easiest. If not, you can use VGA (and you will need an aux cable for audio).

Either place you mentioned can set you up. Even better, if you take the laptop and tv owners manual with you, it'll be a piece of cake.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will need either HDMI or VGA. The problem you might encounter is a lot of computers do not output in HDMI and a lot of TVs do not accept VGA.

1. If your PC outputs HDMI you will simply need a HDMI cable. They can be found for less than a dollar on amazon. Don't buy the $50 HDMI cable from Best Buy (or wherever)

2. If your PC outputs VGA (they all do) but not HDMI *and* your TV accepts VGA you can use a VGA cable. FYI- This will only supply video

3. If your PC outputs VGA (they all do) but not HDMI *and* your TV doesn't accept VGA you will need to purchase a VGA to HDMI converter. Here is what you want-

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGACONVERTER-VGA-Audio-HDMI-Converter/dp/B0015YWV1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326407567&sr=8-1

YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT THIS-
http://www.amazon.com/VGA-HDMI-Cable-6-feet/dp/B002TUC64W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326407567&sr=8-2

Last edited:

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Kool Cat it would be less expensive and more fun if you found a good looking lady with some $$$ money$$$ and just fly out there and watch it in person . I can get you in ...What say you ????

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks!

Your laptop will likely have a VGA port and your TV a VGA port. But if you have an older TV, it might only have RCA ports - like the kind you use on video games. In that case you can use a VGA to RCA cable from the electronics store.

I don't think VGA carries the sound, so you'll have to play sound from the computer. I use powered speakers for that.

Also...once you have the connection, you may have to enable VGA out in Windows. I googled it on a Vista machine and figured it out from there. My new laptop has an HDMI port - so much simpler.

Eventually we will all have wireless HDMI connections - which will make life a lot simpler.

Chris

Last edited:

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your laptop will likely have a VGA port and your TV a VGA port. But if you have an older TV, it might only have RCA ports - like the kind you use on video games. In that case you can use a VGA to RCA cable from the electronics store.

I don't think VGA carries the sound, so you'll have to play sound from the computer. I use powered speakers for that.

Also...once you have the connection, you may have to enable VGA out in Windows. I googled it on a Vista machine and figured it out from there. My new laptop has an HDMI port - so much simpler.

Eventually we will all have wireless HDMI connections - which will make life a lot simpler.

Chris

Stay away from VGA to RCA unless you have a TV that doesn't have VGA or HDMI. RCA is capped at 480i resolution.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Thanks all! Especially fat Albert - that would be the easiest solution! I think a trip to Best Buy or 'La Shack is in order, toting 'puter n TV info in hand. (I don't have a son in law - just yet...)

I luv this place. Appreciated.

More people might want to do this and enable a better viewing experience in the pool deprived state called the US of F'g A. ;)

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Thanks all! Especially fat Albert - that would be the easiest solution! I think a trip to Best Buy or 'La Shack is in order, toting 'puter n TV info in hand. (I don't have a son in law - just yet...)

I luv this place. Appreciated.

More people might want to do this and enable a better viewing experience in the pool deprived state called the US of F'g A. ;)

Matt, TAR events look great on the big screen so it's well worth it.

One tip that applied to me and maybe to you. Connect to the TV BEFORE you turn on your laptop. Sometimes if your computer is already on then it might not recognize the TV as an external monitor and/or not export the sound through the TV. The easy fix is to just connect before turning on the laptop. Then when it boots up it recognizes the external monitor and speakers and automatically sends the video and sound to the television.

And of course, you need to change the input on your television to whatever input you plug the computer into. Assuming you have an HDTV, it probably has several source inputs. If you are simply unplugging the cable HDMI connection from the cable box and plugging it into your computer then you probably don't have to change the source. But your television needs to know what input it should be looking at for the signal.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i couldnt do it period until i bought a new laptop with an HDMI port. Then it was plug and play as long as you knew how to do the Inputs on the TV. Without HDMI, i bought special cables, converters etc-Nothing!

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
i couldnt do it period until i bought a new laptop with an HDMI port. Then it was plug and play as long as you knew how to do the Inputs on the TV. Without HDMI, i bought special cables, converters etc-Nothing!

Ouch... My tv is a tube, not flat screen/HDMI. My laptop is @ 5 years old... Johnny T advised via PM that I take my laptop to a Best Buy/Radio Shack along with my TV info and HOPE I find intelligent life. I think that's probably my best chance at connecting. Orrrr, go to EZ Money's place with a 43 inch set-up that's already a proven entity (and bring beer and chips!).

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
Ouch... My tv is a tube, not flat screen/HDMI. My laptop is @ 5 years old... Johnny T advised via PM that I take my laptop to a Best Buy/Radio Shack along with my TV info and HOPE I find intelligent life. I think that's probably my best chance at connecting. Orrrr, go to EZ Money's place with a 43 inch set-up that's already a proven entity (and bring beer and chips!).

You're F'd then

Go to best buy with 2 grand and get a new setup :wink:

Edit: If you're getting tech advise via pm from johhnyt you more f'd then I thought! LOL!!!

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a buddy who has a home theater PC, it's such an awesome choice he made. He has a bluray/DVD reader on it and he stores all his movies on it. It's hooked up to a sweet TV and sound system as well. :cool:

Hell, he doesn't even subscribe to TV anymore, you can find a lot of content on the internet if you know what I mean. :wink:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a Apple MacBook Pro notebook. Is there a special adaptor that I can use to connect my MacBook Pro to a HDTV HDMI cable that I already have? If there is no adaptor for this, what kind of HDMI cable do I need to connect the HDTV to my notebook?

Thanks.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
If you have a laptop with a new i3, i5 or i7 processor along with Intel wireless display you can stream it to your tv wirelessly with Push2TV. This is what I use and it's great. Otherwise you will need a HDMI cable to go from the computer to the tv. Push2TV does a great job. If it is a HQ stream like TAR or Inside Pool it well actually look better on the tv than the laptop.

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
You're F'd then

Go to best buy with 2 grand and get a new setup :wink:

Edit: If you're getting tech advise via pm from johhnyt you more f'd then I thought! LOL!!!

That's not very encouraging! I guess I need to upgrade... Dammit! I hate TV. I'd rather be playing pool! Or golfing, or tennis, or or or F'...

Life's too short to be a spectator... Unless it's TAR of course.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Does your tube set have RCA jacks on it? Even that is not a given, and without them, it's completely not happening. Even with RCA's, you have to go VGA to RCA, as someone pointed out a low resolution picture.

The good news with that is that on the older tube sets, RCA level resolution gives a better picture than the same resolution on the newer sets. If you can get a VGA to RCA interface cheap enough, it's worth a shot.

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
i have an older laptop that has as "s" video connection. i put the s video cable from the laptop to the tv and run a cable from the headphone jack that slpits to white and red connectors to the tv for the audio. the laptop has to be off when the connection is made. sometimes the tv and laptop are tempermental when hooking them up, but eventually they get on the same page.
this is only way to do it. as everyone else has posted if your electronics are newer you will have hdmi connections and all should be easy.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member