Missing easy balls..

EnragedCueBall

Registered
Im just so close to giving up pool, it has become so frustrating when your opponet misses on the 6 and you have the 6 the 7 8 and 9 and you run TWOO friggin balls and miss an easy 8. What the hell? :angry:

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member
Im just so close to giving up pool, it has become so frustrating when your opponet misses on the 6 and you have the 6 the 7 8 and 9 and you run TWOO friggin balls and miss an easy 8. What the hell? :angry:

PSR - work on it and it will help you concentrate.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Your not alone my friend.I wish i had a penny for every ball i have missed.
I would be rich.lol Keep going, its just part of the learning process.
The best thing about my game is that i never give up no matter how bad i play.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Been there

The easiest out can be screwed up.

Any ball can be missed.

Habitually shoot all shots the same.....psr,focus,stroke.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
There's no such thing as an easy ball.

This is simply the answer, otherwise you wouldn't miss it. If you go out of your way to make the shot simple you open the door to some bad or incomplete thoughts.

It all comes down to how you envision the shot. Not pocketing the ball, but "the shot". A clear complete image in your mind of the shot which includes sight, sound, timing of the clicks, path and speed of both OB and CB and their final resting place.

Be comfortable in your mind that what you envision is how it is going to come out. If you're not comfortable, you're seeing a picture mentally that you can't execute. Get up and regroup.

Taking the time to properly envision the shot gives you a mental focus and helps prevent your mind from wandering, perhaps into negative thoughts.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Hangers deserve the same attention as an 8 3/4 foot thin cut, though, we all have been guilty of doing the opposite.

There will always be those days where you get frustrated over a shot, game or even an entire match.

What I like to do after making a mistake is to try and understand what exactly went wrong and make it into a lesson so, hopefully, when it comes up again you will have a different outcome.

Worth mentioning is for you to immediately after the disappointing shot, file it to the back of your mind so you can get right back into your match.

Access it later, analyze it, try to understand it, and work hard on it.

Take some comfort in knowing we've all had some frustrating moments. It's absolutely part of the deal. :thumbup:

Lee and Neil know of what they speak.

A consistent pre shot routine should help with this. That and embracing the notion that all shots pose the potential to not go in.

Best,
Brian kc

Last edited:

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are complaining? I might have missed the 6, with ball in hand. :confused:
It could always be worse............until you get down to where I am.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
You could be missing for many reasons. If you can't run 3 balls, then you need to back up and go back to the basics and/or get a instuctor to get you going in the right direction. Johnnyt

Hustler84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am teaching my 7 year old son the game right now, and I always hear him say that shots are easy, and he misses them. Then he will ask me why, and I have to explain to him that you never take any shot for granted. You give what seems like the easiest shot the same attention you give a shot that is much more difficult. It is a very common thing for people to miss easy balls because they think it doesn't deserve the same respect as a harder shot. But believe me, it definitely does! I have lost plenty of games on what I though was a very routine shot, that I have engrained it into my mind not to take any shot for granted because it can bite you in the a$$. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, and don't give up!

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I explained it to a buddy the other day who was getting frustrated with himself for missing easy shots. To put it simply, you hit the wrong spot. I try to look at every shot the same, there is only 1 spot on every shot that will make the ball go in the pocket that you want. It sounds simple, but it helps me to stay focused on every shot.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I like Danny D's take..

"An easy shot is a fantastic opportunity to perform a perfect stroke"

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
You could be missing for many reasons. If you can't run 3 balls, then you need to back up and go back to the basics and/or get a instuctor to get you going in the right direction. Johnnyt

What he said. I agree that you can't take any shot for granted and doing so leads to unforced errors, but all the concentration in the world isn't going to help you're consistency if you can't execute consistently. Pre Shot routine, alignement, repeatable stroke, balanced stance, all these things serve to make an increasing variety of shots unmissable (dependant on you're level of play).

maidenfreak

Maidenfreak2009
Silver Member
Here is another take on your post. You pointed out the fact that it was the 8 ball you missed. Getting shape on the 9 is what you may be over thinking. Use your psr and natural stroke without trying too hard for shape. If you are in the area of the 9 it's a done deal. :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he said. I agree that you can't take any shot for granted and doing so leads to unforced errors, but all the concentration in the world isn't going to help you're consistency if you can't execute consistently. Pre Shot routine, alignement, repeatable stroke, balanced stance, all these things serve to make an increasing variety of shots unmissable (dependant on you're level of play).

i think easy shots that are missed are due to lack of focus not a change in your psr, or in my case that is what i attribute it to.

i wait until after a match to review what happened when i missed a shot. i learned a long time ago when you miss, put it on the backburner and dont think about it while in a match.

when i do go over what was happening when i missed i usually find i was thinking about my next shot before completing the shot i was on at the time. other times i was having negative thoughts about that particular shot or some personal things in my life and not completely focused on that shot.

i really do not believe that you can run 4 or 5 balls in a row , some of them maybe hard shots or not then you miss probably the easiest shot on the table and blame it on your psr. i do not think you missed because somehow you changed your stance stroke or grip etc etc in the middle of a game after running a few balls. lack of focus is the culprit, at least every time i miss an easy shot it is.

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre shot routine definitely helps. I've recently rediscovered it and I've been playing better.

The PSR will make sure everytime you get down to shoot, you're putting yourself in the same position when you start to make balls. I feel that this ensures that your aim won't be off. Where I play there isn't sufficient room all around the table, so sometimes I'm jacked up on the rail and the butt of the cue will touch the wall behind me. My stance will get thrown off and my head starts to move. Once that head moves or you move your arm somehow, your shot may not do what you thought it was going to do. Having a PSR and thinking about it makes sure you're lined up correctly, your body is in the right place, and finally you're good to shoot.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found over the years of shooting pool, having some spectacular moments and some real downers ,that my greatest success was when I kept my runouts simple using natural angles for shape and playing as much middle-ball as possible.My lack of success was when I was spinning way to many shots and being overly fancy which is totally unnecessary when you want to play at a high-level of pool consistently.