Why people leave the forum.....

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'll admit. I do get into a lot of discussions, but even I had to take a break.

Last post May 2015

Passive-aggressive much?

You can call me mean-spirited, but the fact is that i have a low tolerance for bs.

Banned

I guess I'm lucky, since I've been haunting the joint, I've only had bad dealings with one person.

Last post June 2015

I come for technical discussion, which has now mostly devolved to constant correction of pseudoinfo. I think this dynamic is changing AzB into a source of questionable technical info.

pj
chgo

Banned

It's a shame if some of the rotten apples make people with alot to contribute quit.

Last post December 2016

I don't care about opinions and disagreements but at some point every thread turns into a I make more than you, I'm better than you, I've done this bs.

Last post November 2016

Ad infinitum. I would say that conflict does have a lot to do with it.

Is AZ simply a microcosm of our overly antagonistic game?

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stevie Moore is a pro player who openly advocates Stan Shuffet's CTE Pro One, both as a player, and as a CTE Pro One instructor...or is he not a "big enough" name for you? Like Neil said, who gives a crap if it works for a pro or not. It's more about does it work for you?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I have an honest question for JB, or whomever. After years and years of listening about CTE and for that matter a plethora of other " systems ", why has not ONE TOP PLAYER come out and endorsed it if it's so good? Even if not an actual endorsement then why not - I know it and have seen it work? John throws some low level names around ( yes they all can beat me OR you but that not saying much , THEY ARE STILL LOW LEVEL PLAYERS when compared to the pros. Ok, ok, they wanna make some money pushing something " they made up or perfected " - we get it.

I just have to think though, someone, somewhere - a top player would come out and endorse one of these things and put much of this to rest if it were in fact a real, dominant, proven system - no??? Btw, I'd pay to see the KD vs JB match. Love to watch but picking who I'm rooting for might just be one of the toughest decisions ever for me lololol☺. Trying to objective still at this point, KD's list is much more impressive than JB's. And I have to guess JB was using CTE again st Lou right? Not exactly a ringing endorsement, actually it must have been embarrassing to CTE peeps lol.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Last post May 2015

Banned

Last post June 2015

Banned

Last post December 2016

Last post November 2016

Ad infinitum. I would say that conflict does have a lot to do with it.

It could be but I don't see nearly this level of conflict in the poolroom. Chris we have a forum with 27000 members and post traffic that goes so fast. Some of our threads get hundreds of comments and we rarely have flame wars. I firmly believe it's because we are very clear about the rules and quick to enforce them. With five active mods someone is generally alerted to any hostility and able to tamp it down quickly and ask the users to modify their behavior accordingly. I think on AZB it often happens that a flame war ignites and ends up with 100 replies and 10 more people piling on before a moderator is even aware of it.

And there are unfortunately some here who are defacto trolls. A lot of their "content" is simply fanning the flames of conflict.

I am one a few forums with the same platform as AZB. About the same amount of members. But the amount of conflict is near zero. The mods are on top of anything close to breaking the rules and they weed the forum diligently. As a result the content is on topic and helpful. The banter which is not on topic is congenial and friendly. Mutual respect abounds. And they both sell a lot of advertisement against the traffic.

To me it's all about the type of establishment you want....biker bar with rubber walls or well appointed place for relaxation and good conversation....

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have an honest question for JB, or whomever. After years and years of listening about CTE and for that matter a plethora of other " systems ", why has not ONE TOP PLAYER come out and endorsed it if it's so good? Even if not an actual endorsement then why not - I know it and have seen it work? John throws some low level names around ( yes they all can beat me OR you but that not saying much , THEY ARE STILL LOW LEVEL PLAYERS when compared to the pros. Ok, ok, they wanna make some money pushing something " they made up or perfected " - we get it.

I just have to think though, someone, somewhere - a top player would come out and endorse one of these things and put much of this to rest if it were in fact a real, dominant, proven system - no??? Btw, I'd pay to see the KD vs JB match. Love to watch but picking who I'm rooting for might just be one of the toughest decisions ever for me lololol☺. Trying to objective still at this point, KD's list is much more impressive than JB's. And I have to guess JB was using CTE again st Lou right? Not exactly a ringing endorsement, actually it must have been embarrassing to CTE peeps lol.

What does endorsement mean to you?

I mean if one is not paid to endorse something then endorsement would be a positive testimonial right?

Well let's examine that for a second. The pro would first need to learn CTE as Stan teaches it. Which is unlikely because most pros are probably fairly set in how they aim, whether or not they could improve on what they do. Secondly the pro would then need to like it enough to want to share with everyone else how great it is for their game which means they would be "smartening up" the competition and allowing them the same "edge" that they felt CTE gives them. That's also unlikely to happen.

Third, pros aren't into making "free" testimonials about things. That's not how they are wired. Pool is their job not their hobby. Amateurs are the ones who get giddy and excited about new toys and make gushing testimonials about them. If a pro finds something that works well for them they keep it to themselves or a very tight circle. They are not in the habit of giving away the tools of their trade. Now if you want to buy their time and ask the right questions....

But as far as that goes, a few years ago Rodney put up a post on Facebook and said he was excited because he just beat the 13 ball ghost (I think) and that he was seeing the shots better than ever because Stevie Moore showed him some CTE. That's as close to an unsolicited testimonial by a top notcher who has zero financial interest in CTE that I have seen. I don't know what Stevie showed him but I know Rodney had no reason whatsoever to mention it other than he wanted to give Stevie and CTE some part of the credit for what he felt was a good enough accomplishment to brag about.

Now, I will say this and you can think I am a liar if you want to. I know that Stan has hosted many professional players in his house who came to him for lessons. Almost all of them ask Stan not to mention their names and he does NOT publicize those names. A few of them have done pretty well after the coaching Stan provided. Whether or not they learned CTE is between them and Stan. Stan is a damn good coach beyond the aiming. So who knows maybe some day some of those players will come out and say something positive about CTE.

At the end of the day though your premise is wrong. Just because a professional endorses something doesn't make that thing good. Nor is it not good if no professional endorses it. If two top pros endorsed CTE then folks would say weill look the other 98 in the top 100 don't endorse it therefore CTE doesn't work......and if 50 endorsed it then people would still complain that only 50% of pros use it so it isn't the "best" way to aim, just one way to aim.....

The entire point of all this is that it EXISTS. And that existence does not deserve to be facing attempted eradication merely because a few people don't think it works. Let people discuss it in peace and don't spend time trying to dissuade others to not even consider trying it.

Now as to me using CTE in my big match. I did use it but I coupled it unfortunately with the worst stroke ever. I went way past the worst of my stroking habits into the abyss of beginnerdom for a lot of that match. Which only goes to prove what we have said all along which is that the perfect shot line means nothing if your crappy stroke sends the cueball elsewhere. You actually make the the same mistake that a lot of people make in elevating CTE to be a cure-all for a person's entire game. Learning to aim is not learning to stroke or learning to play. It's SIMPLY learning to aim. And if a person is actually aimed correctly then any flaws in stroke are amplified by how easy it is to make the cue ball veer off that perfect line. And that's exactly what happened. I dogged it.

And yes it was embarrassing in terms of showcasing CTE. I was a terrible example. I do have a twinge of regret for that aspect. As much of a cheerleader for CTE that I am I am far from the best poster boy to showcase it. On the other hand though as badly as I played I think being down 3 games after 9 hours against someone rated much higher than me wasn't a bad result. I am pretty sure I would have done way better and likely won the match had I had my stroke and my mind under control. But it is what it is.

Hope that answers your questions.

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is there actualy a open topic forum on your FB page ,, FB is ok it pails in comparison to web site forums of open conversation on many subjects ,,
Yes they have many members most just add it to thier list of groups 90 pct or better are not regular posters ,
A lot of those sites are started by people who have been banned by web sites so they start thier own FB group where they can run it as they see fit ,, a dictatorship run by a dictator throw freedom of speech out the window , stepford wives at its finest ,,

More pool conversation happens on the many FB pool groups every hour than happens in a week on AZB.

You don't have freedom of speech here either. You can only say what the moderators allow you to say. That's the nature of moderated forums everywhere.

All I know is that we have very little conflict on our groups. Out of 27000 members we have banned a little over 600. We have a moderators group where we discuss issues and that helps a lot for all the mods to be on the same page as to how to handle conflicts and rules violations.

A lot of people post regularly on our groups that used to post a lot here. You can analyze that any way you want to but they are more there than here based on what I see.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More pool conversation happens on the many FB pool groups every hour than happens in a week on AZB.

You don't have freedom of speech here either. You can only say what the moderators allow you to say. That's the nature of moderated forums everywhere.

All I know is that we have very little conflict on our groups. Out of 27000 members we have banned a little over 600. We have a moderators group where we discuss issues and that helps a lot for all the mods to be on the same page as to how to handle conflicts and rules violations.

A lot of people post regularly on our groups that used to post a lot here. You can analyze that any way you want to but they are more there than here based on what I see.

What FB groups are you referring too

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Originally Posted by TATE:

Come on buddy you and I both know that question is way too complicated for this group lol :D

Sorry, this is what I sound like in two-whiskey rhetorical mode. I was probably holding my glass up in a toast when this was uttered. :wink:

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Half the problem is people being stupid.
The other half is the people who act stupid because they can't handle stupid people.

However, this situation is not unique to forums or this one in particular.
Go to any public place where people gather and listen to them talk.
It's like reading the thread titles in this forum.....some of them make you think " hmmm I wonder what that's all about?" .....and some make you think " jeebus H chriminy what has he been drinking??"

In other words, it's to be expected, so why take anything personal?
These people dont know you. Its words on a screen - who the hell cares what some basket case is ranting about today, I have better stupid shit to worry about than someone else's stupid shit lol

In other other words, kookoo people are everywhere. Accept it, and learn to not open threads that you know you'll hate.
Its just a forum for Pete's sake, you know, people talking and stuff.
If people talking makes you angry then forums are the least of your issues.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
After taking another stance against the benefits of learning a system. and then being promptly rebuffed, I have come to the conclusion that a member will leave here because their head hurts.
Usually, after being gone for awhile, the headache eases and the member comes back, eager to participate once again. Before they know it, however, the headache has returned, and wanting relief, they leave again.
Eventually the throbbing sensation in the middle of the forehead becomes too much to bear, and he, or she, decides that enough is enough and leaves permanently.
My advice is simple: Load up on Advil, or Aleve, about thirty minutes before you log in. :smile:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
IMO, people leave, besides not learning one damn thing to improve one's game, is the people who post written jokes in the funny pic/gif thread. Also the numbnuts who feel compelled to comment on the funny pic/gifs without posting a funny pic or gif.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
IMO, people leave, besides not learning one damn thing to improve one's game, is the people who post written jokes in the funny pic/gif thread. Also the numbnuts who feel compelled to comment on the funny pic/gifs without posting a funny pic or gif.

Two AZers walk into a bar.
One sez "Where's the bar box?
The other one sez "It's right over there."
The first one sez "I don't see no stinkin' bar table."
The other sez "You need a better PSR and an aiming system."

..let the flack begin

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Two AZers walk into a bar.
One sez "Where's the bar box?
The other one sez "It's right over there."
The first one sez "I don't see no stinkin' bar table."
The other sez "You need a better PSR and an aiming system."

..let the flack begin

Two AZers walk into a bar.....and laugh their asses off at the trolls on AZB.

Two AZers walk into a bar and realize people actually exist who don't know what CTE is.

Two AZers walk into a bar and don't play pool they just keep arguing on AZB.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
After taking another stance against the benefits of learning a system. and then being promptly rebuffed, I have come to the conclusion that a member will leave here because their head hurts.
Usually, after being gone for awhile, the headache eases and the member comes back, eager to participate once again. Before they know it, however, the headache has returned, and wanting relief, they leave again.
Eventually the throbbing sensation in the middle of the forehead becomes too much to bear, and he, or she, decides that enough is enough and leaves permanently.
My advice is simple: Load up on Advil, or Aleve, about thirty minutes before you log in. :smile:

Sorry for the "rebuffing" hopefully your ass is well polished now. :) I hope you understand that making statements where there are some who have the opposing experience will lead to some dissent.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
half the problem is people being stupid.
The other half is the people who act stupid because they can't handle stupid people.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^

however, this situation is not unique to forums or this one in particular.
Go to any public place where people gather and listen to them talk.
It's like reading the thread titles in this forum.....some of them make you think " hmmm i wonder what that's all about?" .....and some make you think " jeebus h chriminy what has he been drinking??"

in other words, it's to be expected, so why take anything personal?
These people dont know you. Its words on a screen - who the hell cares what some basket case is ranting about today, i have better stupid shit to worry about than someone else's stupid shit lol

in other other words, kookoo people are everywhere. Accept it, and learn to not open threads that you know you'll hate.
Its just a forum for pete's sake, you know, people talking and stuff.
If people talking makes you angry then forums are the least of your issues.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO; and only given as a general statement because most of us know the specifics , folks leave leave for only one of two reasons. 1), everytime they log on, thread after thread, all they are able to read is one or more of a couple handfuls of members constantly bickering without end trying to impart all others with their beliefs along with never-ending personal attacks. 2) certain people are singled out ( also usually by these couple handfuls of members ) and constantly attacked any and every time they post, regardless of the topic or subject or content in which they are posting. People come to a forum for a positive experience. I'm not saying this place nor any p.ace should be all unicorns and rainbows but it also shouldn't be a place that raises your blood pressure and make you want to break stuff lol.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
IMHO; and only given as a general statement because most of us know the specifics , folks leave leave for only one of two reasons. 1), everytime they log on, thread after thread, all they are able to read is one or more of a couple handfuls of members constantly bickering without end trying to impart all others with their beliefs along with never-ending personal attacks. 2) certain people are singled out ( also usually by these couple handfuls of members ) and constantly attacked any and every time they post, regardless of the topic or subject or content in which they are posting. People come to a forum for a positive experience. I'm not saying this place nor any p.ace should be all unicorns and rainbows but it also shouldn't be a place that raises your blood pressure and make you want to break stuff lol.

I know.
And what about that guy who thinks his stories and jokes are so funny. They ought to ban that jerk-off for life. :thumbup: