Balabushka?... uhhh, Judges?

tom-o

Registered
Do a search of this site for Harvey Mason,back to eBay view items location and sellers id.hope this helps

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an ad for a Balabushka on Craigslist(Chicago) for $100,000. Been there for quite a while

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see that he has turned off bidder ID. Is he bidding against himself?

How much would this be worth if it is just a Hoppe conversion?

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see that he has turned off bidder ID. Is he bidding against himself?

How much would this be worth if it is just a Hoppe conversion?

Exactly... I think those other bids are shills...

We talked about that... meh Hoppe conversion, $350-$400 TOPS.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to know is who the hell were all these people making cues for Brunswick for decades that no one knows anyone’s name beside Rambow....or was it that Brunswick was into that slick union work and no one knew any one single job but their own except the shop foreman ?

I mean they built a chit load of cues.....like car guys can find out who made their blocks from back in the gap....so wtf lol....

Don’t give me all that Brunswick burned down stuff they made plenty of cues till after wW2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to know is who the hell were all these people making cues for Brunswick for decades that no one knows anyone’s name beside Rambow.... ..
For the most part I don't think that the concept of "collectible cue" caught on until the 1970s. At that time you could still get a Balabushka from George for $150, including two shafts and shipping.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Time machine, anyone?

For the most part I don't think that the concept of "collectible cue" caught on until the 1970s. At that time you could still get a Balabushka from George for $150, including two shafts and shipping.

Anyone know where I might get a time machine on the semi-cheap? I checked Ebay and Amazon. Can't find anything. I want to head back to 1968 for a couple weeks with a few grand.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Anyone know where I might get a time machine on the semi-cheap? I checked Ebay and Amazon. Can't find anything. I want to head back to 1968 for a couple weeks with a few grand.

1968?

While you are back there, buy some precious metal. Gold, silver and Detroit iron.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
1968?

While you are back there, buy some precious metal. Gold, silver and Detroit iron.

Check... 20 Balabushkas, 20 Szambotis, gold, silver, etc...

And Microsoft stock.

Oh, wait... 68. Ok, we'll skip the MS stock.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to know is who the hell were all these people making cues for Brunswick for decades that no one knows anyone’s name beside Rambow....or was it that Brunswick was into that slick union work and no one knew any one single job but their own except the shop foreman ?

I mean they built a chit load of cues.....like car guys can find out who made their blocks from back in the gap....so wtf lol....

Don’t give me all that Brunswick burned down stuff they made plenty of cues till after wW2

Now and then one or two other names are mentioned. One, whose name escapes me at the moment, is known to have done some of the calligraphy on Brunswick personalized cues that people often claim is Rambow's work.

Obviously, several others worked in the Brunswick shop over the years, some are known, and some are not.

Rambow is prominent because of his patents and what he did on his own after he left Brunswick. None that came out of that shop surpassed him.

One that worked for Brunswick, as a technician of some sort, went on to own his own billiards supply business and his family is still operating it on the West Coast. He did make cues on his own in the 1950's including Titlist conversions. His name was Gus Adams.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pick up a couple of each for me: COPO Camaro, Yenko Nova, COPO Chevelle.

I'll pay double the cost

:grin-square:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Now and then one or two other names are mentioned. One, whose name escapes me at the moment, is known to have done some of the calligraphy on Brunswick personalized cues that people often claim is Rambow's work.

Obviously, several others worked in the Brunswick shop over the years, some are known, and some are not.

Rambow is prominent because of his patents and what he did on his own after he left Brunswick. None that came out of that shop surpassed him.

One that worked for Brunswick, as a technician of some sort, went on to own his own billiards supply business and his family is still operating it on the West Coast. He did make cues on his own in the 1950's including Titlist conversions. His name was Gus Adams.

Yes I do hear a name drop here and there it’s just always struck me as an odd thing to have occurred

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
What I’ve always wanted to know is who the hell were all these people making cues for Brunswick

I get your point, but it's kind of like asking who in the hell actually worked on Chevrolet cars... I bet very few of us can point to any actual people.

They were pretty much common laborers, except they were making cues, rather than cars. Cues weren't particularly exciting or collectable in those days, so I suspect the workers came and went. Herman, on the other hand, took it to a better level. Slimmed down the cue a bit, did a bit better finish, ditched the awful leather wrap at the time, put on a linen wrap. And did that for Mosconi, Crane, Cranfield, Caras, Boston Shorty, and quite a few others. So we remember Herman.

Nobody remembers the others. Just like Chevrolet.

All the best,
WW

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search of this site for Harvey Mason,back to eBay view items location and sellers id.hope this helps

Did anyone else do the search?

What do you make of it?

What I gathered:

- The guy was a hell of player.
- He's the father of a pro Joanne Mason.
- He used to play with a Balabushka with a rubber wrap.
- He's from or lived in Queens.
- A guy supposedly writing a book on Balabushka was searching him out for an unspecified reason.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Check... 20 Balabushkas, 20 Szambotis, gold, silver, etc...

And Microsoft stock.

Oh, wait... 68. Ok, we'll skip the MS stock.

68' wouldnt get you any Szamboti's. I would go to 1974. I'd be assured of getting all my Bushka's made with Gus blanks. :wink:

If it had to be 68' I'd hit up George and Ernie plus I'll second the Copo's and Yenko's and I'd search for a ZL1 :)

Michael Andros

Silver Member
68' wouldnt get you any Szamboti's. I would go to 1974. I'd be assured of getting all my Bushka's made with Gus blanks. :wink:

If it had to be 68' I'd hit up George and Ernie plus I'll second the Copo's and Yenko's and I'd search for a ZL1 :)

I didn't know Gus started that late. I always assumed he was contemporary to Balabushka. Well, hell... If I can get a time machine on the semi-cheap, I'll just pop into 74/75 on the way back. Anyone want a pet rock? On me...

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it might be fun to compare a known titlist bushka from the early 1960's to the cue on ebay. This gives a visual reference for what some have said so far. The one on the left is in original condition.

I know the large photo screws up the width of this thread, but I wanted to show as much detail as possible side by side.

Attachments

• Bushka compare.jpg
    Bushka compare.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 214