Liquid Weight Cues

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been seeing some advertisements for these cues and checked out their website.

It looks like an interesting concept to me but others might see it as a cheap gimmick.

I am not ready to run out and buy one, but just curious what other people think?

https://squareup.com/store/tasting-sets-inc

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been seeing some advertisements for these cues and checked out their website.

It looks like an interesting concept to me but others might see it as a cheap gimmick.

I am not ready to run out and buy one, but just curious what other people think?

https://squareup.com/store/tasting-sets-inc
I'm already visualizing pool's version of the Valdez oil spill. I can sorta see the benefit on a break cue. Pretty strange.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Works pretty well in the butt of a rifle to cut recoil..Far as a cue not sure except like the guy above me in this post said it might help on break with the shift in weight.You would have to try one to see if its going to jerk or smooth things out in your favor.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I had the same idea many years(decades) ago. Snap On came out with what the called the dead blow hammer. It is a hammer with lead shot in the head. When you hit something with it, like an anvil, the head doesn't bounce up at all. It stays down. Other brands make them now days. I thought it would be cool to apply it to a pool cue. It wouldn't do anything at low speeds but when you hit a ball firm it would give you an extra umph and hold the tip through the ball.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago when I was a teen and first got hit by the pool bug, I noticed when sliding a half full gallon of milk back on the refrigerator shelf, it would stop and then go again when the milk hit the back wall of the container. I thought that concept could be used in a pool cue to get a better follow through or some power benefit. Now that someone has actually manufactured one, it does look like a gimmick to me. I personally wouldn’t spend the money on it. But if someone else did, I’d be curious to see what they think of it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
https://www.cuetrader.org/

1. we make pool cues,
2. our cues do NOT have a weight bolt,
3. we install a tube filled with weighted oils ( liquid ),
4. and stainless steel ball bearings ( weight ), therefore the name Liquid Weight Cues.

3 main benefits of owning a cue with a moving weight system:

​Solid cue strike
1.8 to 3.7 % more ft/lbs of energy at same stroke speed, which produces better break dispersion - so (if true) pretty much the same as adding a tiny bit of fixed weight - so what?

Stay on line
An object in motion stays in motion in the same direction, which produces less chicken winging - This is true (except the "produces less chicken winging" part) of any weight. Nothing is added by making the weight "moveable".

Better application of english
More ft/lbs of energy allows better tip compression thus more english without moving tip so far off ball center, which produces a more solid hit - This is just untrue.
Bzzzt! Gimmick.

pj
chgo

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I would think one's pre shot "waggle" would affect the hit, depending on where the ball bearings were.

I'd like to hit one and see.

Jeff Livingston

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m more concerned about what happens if you lose your temper with this cue.
...if you slam the butt on the floor....you may lose your bearings.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They have been on the market for a while. :D

41fPn1sGGZL._SY355_.jpg

minnesota-fats-pool-stick-cue-ball_1_b4dce8a8193b9cacb678f1e5f24de300.jpg

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
OK, Mr. cue fixit guy....I'd like a new tip, a shaft refurb....

....and don't forget to check the oil.

Jeff Livingston

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, Mr. cue fixit guy....I'd like a new tip, a shaft refurb....

....and don't forget to check the oil.

Jeff Livingston

And don't forget to change it. What is the oil change schedule on these things?

Synthetic?

Costs more but you'll get more strokes per oil change if you go synthetic.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the oil were to be in a clear tube as part of the butt it could be made very attractive by having a shapely female lose her bikini during the forward stroke. I'll never forget seeing one of those pens the first time when I was a kid. Mitch

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Does anybody know how these sliding weights are supposed to deliver "more energy at the same stroke speed"? Doesn't allowing them to slide forward on impact with the CB subtract their weight from the force delivered, at least partly?

pj <- yeah, I know I should lay off the oil
chgo

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I find the idea very interesting. Not really as far as performance is concerned, but more for timing and feel. Having this contraption in the cue could help a a player to pause on the backstroke, and would maybe give a very clear indication of timing by giving a different feel on a well timed shot and a jerked one. Haven't tried it, but that is what I can imagine happening.

On the other hand it could also feel pretty terrible, I guess if you really jerk your stroke. And the worry is it would feel more mushy overall.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't be patronizing this. $9.95 would be too much.

Please, send these back to China with the Black Plague attached.