PFD Studios

Gaelic7

Registered
Shout out to Mr. Drexler. He recently made a shaft for me and I’ve had other work done in the past. The quality is second to none. Feel fortunate to be local to this top notch craftsman and innovator. Been in his shop many times and have always enjoyed our conversations. A true gentleman that clearly enjoys what he does. Thanks Paul and Ellen for all you’ve done. Hope to see you soon and of course I’ll bring the coffee!

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in texas but I often buy from Paul and ellen drexler

Particularly when I want something so special that no one
else can do

look in the gallery to see the Wylie Coyote/Roadrunner Cue

Pure silver form the outline for the full inlaid characters

I bought several of his Anniversary cues,Pete Glenn
the famous cue collector bought one of them and told his
son ,Denny that it was the perfect cue,beauty,design and
quality workmanship

After i bought the Wylie coyote,I commisioned Paul to make
me another Mighty Mouse looking cue,"Here i come to get the cheese"

Funny that you mentioned the shafts Paul made,I never noticed
anything about them,not that they are not perfect but they are so nice I
just never thought about it

I did talk to him the other day,and when he delayed sending my cue
because the shafts turned out

less than he accepted,I was impressed

Glad to see Paul getting his due

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Paul & Ellen are great people and are world renowned for their uncompromising craftsmanship.
Between the both of them they have way more brain cells and IQ points than any 2 people should have...and it shows not only in their work, but HOW they do their work.
I would imagine very few cue makers in the US have the cutting edge technology that would allow them to do the custom, high tolerance work that Paul & Ellen do.
As if that's not enough, then there's Paul & Ellen's creative & artistic ability.

I too greatly enjoy speaking with Paul & Ellen whenever I have occasion to see them. I feel fortunate to have gotten to know them.
While many in the cue sports world regard them as "Rock Stars", they are both far too humble to see themselves that way.

Paul has worked on my Huebler & Scruggs for many years. I'm glad to say I now have a cue made by him & Ellen.
Is the cue "pretty" and a beautiful piece of art, hell yes!
But, the cue also hits & play even better than it looks.
There are many things that suck about living in the Constitution (LOL) state. Being less than hour from Paul & Ellen's shop more than makes up for them.

It's interesting to me that Paul's fame came form his fine cue craftsmanship, yet he is hardly ever recognized for being the principle engineer behind the Portable Document Format (PDF).
If only he had patented it.

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dittos

I am also fortunate to be local to PFD Studios, the Drexler shop. It has spoiled me to have two craftspeople readily available to do everything from custom cues and shafts right down to rudimentary maintenance.

Paul has made more shafts for me than some people own cues. They are consistent and of the highest quality.

When it comes to complete custom cues, whether simple or complex, they have turned my ideas into reality. Where other cue makers flinched at executing some of my ideas, Paul and Ellen have eagerly, and with enthusiasm, signed-on to special projects.

Paul and Ellen have also been an asset to help me maintain my Palmer collection and other vintage cues. When it comes to repairs, there is no learning curve as they already have the experience to effect any repair.

Attachments

• PFD - Juma -4.jpg
    PFD - Juma -4.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 926
  • PFD - Juma -1.jpg
    PFD - Juma -1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 901
  • PFD - Juma -2.jpg
    PFD - Juma -2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 889
  • PFD - Juma -3.jpg
    PFD - Juma -3.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 897

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WOW!!!! could you give us the run down on your cues in the case please

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snake Juma / Bois de Rose

WOW!!!! could you give us the run down on your cues in the case please

They are made from Snake Juma and Bois de Rose and are, obviously, a reverse from one another. Shafts are sleeved in the same manner as a Palmer Model 20. Each cue with it's shaft and joint protectors have over 200 inlays. In picture the Bois de Rose cue appears to be ebony but it is vary deep burgundy in color.

The case was a special order from O'Neil Leather Specialties.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul's not that great. In fact, here's the long list of problems with him:

(JK - truly a class act)

Those look pretty sharp (understatement).

A large part of his craftsmanship is material choice, including hardware.

Paul must have an insider picking the nicer pieces of Ivory Snake Juma for him.

bstroud

Deceased
In my opinion, Paul and Ellen are doing the most creative and interesting cues in the World today.

Everyone else is in second place.

Bill S.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paul & Ellen - pfd Studios

Thanks ALL for the many kind words - but mostly for acknowledging my wife Ellen who is such a very significant part of pfd Studios . . . I am not bashful in telling everyone that she makes me look good . . . !!

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
In my opinion, Paul and Ellen are doing the most creative and interesting cues in the World today.

Everyone else is in second place.

Bill S.

Holy $#!+, you don't see that kind of praise/endorsement every day.

You know how many cue makers would kill for this?

Wow! -Z-

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Bill -- Just an FYI -- You had suggested to me another fine cuemaker as someone who might be able to make a low deflection shaft for one of my JW cues, which has has the Acme thread pin. Turns out he is retiring, and he politely declined the work. He suggested another respected cuemaker, but my calls went unreturned. I then found Paul, and he is making up a shaft for me (and handling a couple of other small tasks). I am a new customer of Paul's but he has treated me like an old friend, and his knowledge and experience shine through on each and every topic of discussion. So, if any owners of your JW cues are looking for your advice on who might be able to make new shafts for them (or handle any other help, I'm sure), I humbly suggest that you might want to keep Paul in mind. Best regards. Seth.

markusca

Registered
As a complete stranger I emailed Paul this morning about cue making. He answered immediately and then took an hour out of his day getting to know me and answering tons of questions. I have now stalked him on so many forums. There seems to be nobody that doesn’t describe his work as anything less then perfect. It’s truly amazing to find someone like this and I can’t wait to meet him and Ellen.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
As a complete stranger I emailed Paul this morning about cue making. He answered immediately and then took an hour out of his day getting to know me and answering tons of questions. I have now stalked him on so many forums. There seems to be nobody that doesn’t describe his work as anything less then perfect. It’s truly amazing to find someone like this and I can’t wait to meet him and Ellen.
He is indeed a Gentleman and a LIVING LEGEND!! :)

TFT