The Color of Money on Showtime

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The Color of Money is on Showtime this month. Here are the channels and times.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 5.41.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 5.41.18 PM.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 632

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many times after they have an airing of this movie, Keith gets a phone call from an old friend who would say, "I just watched TCOM and wanted to call you." :)

Last week, a friend from Vegas called, who was a partner with the late Tony Rila, who was one of Keith's bestest of friends. In fact, the night Tony died, Keith and he were playing online poker together. Tony would watch Keith, and Keith would watch Tony. They enjoyed the online poker a lot, every single night in fact. Tony passed a little over a year ago, right before Ronnie Allen and Cole Dickson.

He still gets royalty checks from this movie, though they are very teeny tiny today.

One thing about it, they can't take these memories away from Keith. He may be the Stu Ungar of the pool world, but he will always be Grady Seasons to others.

One of my favorite memories of being on the road with Keith was at the Super Billiards Expo action table on the lower level in 2003, I think. It was standing room only, and there must have been a few hundred people surrounding this little Diamond barbox. There was a waiting list of challengers to the action table. Before each game, bets would go down between the spectators. "Who wants the racker for 20?" and "I'll take the breaker for 50," et cetera. If someone was lucky enough to hold the table, they could win a nice chunk of money with the sidebets going on. :wink:

This year, Keith had a good run, and he had a couple consecutive runs on that action table. After all, the barbox is his specialty. The betting went fast and furious, and Keith would patiently wait before he broke the balls, allowing the people to get their bets down.

After one win, Keith was collecting his sidebet winnings, and someboyd from the crowd yelled out, "Keith, say it. Say 'it's like a nightmare.'" Keith was in his element, smiling from ear to ear. After all, everything's funny when you're winning that big money, and so Keith uttered out, "It's like a nightmare." The entire crowd erupted in laughter, as did I. It was one of my favorite memories ever with Keith. He was so happy. :grin-loving:

Attachments

• threeringcircusvf.JPG
    threeringcircusvf.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Just record it on the DVR. Thats what I did. I watch it all the time. That guy who created that online TCOM quiz still hasn't fixed the inaccuracies that were pointed out in the thread here he created. :cool:

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I own a dvd of the movie or vhs can't remeber which but as I was channel surfing the other night I saw it on showtime. I couldn't help but watch it again as it was a great movie. I have seen it probably 10 times.

Kevin

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Many times after they have an airing of this movie, Keith gets a phone call from an old friend who would say, "I just watched TCOM and wanted to call you." :)

Last week, a friend from Vegas called, who was a partner with the late Tony Rila, who was one of Keith's bestest of friends. In fact, the night Tony died, Keith and he were playing online poker together. Tony would watch Keith, and Keith would watch Tony. They enjoyed the online poker a lot, every single night in fact. Tony passed a little over a year ago, right before Ronnie Allen and Cole Dickson.

He still gets royalty checks from this movie, though they are very teeny tiny today.

One thing about it, they can't take these memories away from Keith. He may be the Stu Ungar of the pool world, but he will always be Grady Seasons to others.

One of my favorite memories of being on the road with Keith was at the Super Billiards Expo action table on the lower level in 2003, I think. It was standing room only, and there must have been a few hundred people surrounding this little Diamond barbox. There was a waiting list of challengers to the action table. Before each game, bets would go down between the spectators. "Who wants the racker for 20?" and "I'll take the breaker for 50," et cetera. If someone was lucky enough to hold the table, they could win a nice chunk of money with the sidebets going on. :wink:

This year, Keith had a good run, and he had a couple consecutive runs on that action table. After all, the barbox is his specialty. The betting went fast and furious, and Keith would patiently wait before he broke the balls, allowing the people to get their bets down.

After one win, Keith was collecting his sidebet winnings, and someboyd from the crowd yelled out, "Keith, say it. Say 'it's like a nightmare.'" Keith was in his element, smiling from ear to ear. After all, everything's funny when you're winning that big money, and so Keith uttered out, "It's like a nightmare." The entire crowd erupted in laughter, as did I. It was one of my favorite memories ever with Keith. He was so happy. :grin-loving:

:thumbup: Hey, JAM ... tried to send some green your way but wasn't allowed. Loved the story!

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
someboyd from the crowd yelled out, "Keith, say it. Say 'it's like a nightmare.'" Keith was in his element, smiling from ear to ear. After all, everything's funny when you're winning that big money, and so Keith uttered out, "It's like a nightmare." The entire crowd erupted in laughter, as did I. It was one of my favorite memories ever with Keith. He was so happy. :grin-loving:

Great story, thank you for sharing !

Reactions: JAM

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Glad to hear Mr. McCready enjoyed that. I wonder if he ever gave thought about doing an exhibition incorporating his character from The Color of Money. I picture people lining up like little kids waiting for Santa Claus to have him whisper lines into their ears, while he runs out on them.

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for another great story JAM. I throw TCOM and the hustler in multiple times in a year. Keith was great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

UGOTDA7

Ban pending.....
Silver Member

I love these stories....Keith is a living legend.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup: Hey, JAM ... tried to send some green your way but wasn't allowed. Loved the story!

Same thing happened to me when I tried to give you a little green this morning. ;)

Another "It's like a nightmare" Keith happening was when he was playing Efren at the 1988 Brunswick World Open.

Gee, I guess back in those days, nobody had a problem with using the word "world" in a pool tournament, like they do today. :grin-square:

Anyway, Efren was kind of the new kid on the block as far as the Filipino Invasion. He flexed his pool muscles at various events, but it was Jose Parica who was, and still is, the leader of the Filipino Invasion. :yes: In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, Jose still gets no respect. :embarrassed2:

Efren had just beat Keith in an event the week before this tournament in California, right in Keith's home court, and I'm sure Keith was still stinging a little bit from it. During this back-and-forth TV match, Efren sat there quiet as a church mouse, struggling to score a win. Keith, on the other hand, was confident and cocky as usual.

Right after Keith sinks a game-winning ball, making the score 6 to 3, he looks over at a stoic Reyes and says, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" ---> HERE

Then Keith breaks and comes up empty. :embarrassed2:

Steve Mizerak commentating, this is a good one. :cool:

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
first time I saw TCOM

When TCOM was first released me and my GF went to see it I was 16 years old , my GF was a major Tom Cruise fan so this is probably the first and only time we ever agreed on a movie.

Through the whole movie she was OMG Tom cruise is so cute and OMG Tom this and Tom that , but when it showed Kieth as Grady Seasons , I was like OMG that's Kieth McCready

LOL she was looking at me like I was crazy ,

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me when I tried to give you a little green this morning. ;)

Another "It's like a nightmare" Keith happening was when he was playing Efren at the 1988 Brunswick World Open.

Gee, I guess back in those days, nobody had a problem with using the word "world" in a pool tournament, like they do today. :grin-square:

Anyway, Efren was kind of the new kid on the block as far as the Filipino Invasion. He flexed his pool muscles at various events, but it was Jose Parica who was, and still is, the leader of the Filipino Invasion. :yes: In the words of Rodney Dangerfield, Jose still gets no respect. :embarrassed2:

Efren had just beat Keith in an event the week before this tournament in California, right in Keith's home court, and I'm sure Keith was still stinging a little bit from it. During this back-and-forth TV match, Efren sat there quiet as a church mouse, struggling to score a win. Keith, on the other hand, was confident and cocky as usual.

Right after Keith sinks a game-winning ball, making the score 6 to 3, he looks over at a stoic Reyes and says, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it?" ---> HERE

Didn't he use that in the Joss Tour finals at The Golden Cue in Albany N.Y. also, I think he did.
Not sure but I think he might have been playing Frankie Hernandez if I remember
correctly.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't he use that in the Joss Tour finals at The Golden Cue in Albany N.Y. also, I think he did.
Not sure but I think he might have been playing Frankie Hernandez if I remember
correctly.

Oh, yes, he did. He and Frankie had a rivalry going on the Joss Tour, as both of them seemed to always rise to the top.

That tournament at The Golden Cue, I remember so vividly. It was a day or two after April 15th, and I was a broke dog, after paying my income taxes. I didn't think we could afford to go to this weekend tournament, but we went anyway. :eek:

Keith was having a blast. Next door, he made friends with all the regulars at Joe's Bar, and soon the bar patrons walked next door to sweat Keith's matches. He befriended the entire bar between matches and ended up having a cheerleading squad rooting for him. :grin-square:

Frankie Hernandez was taking no prisoners, and he was hitting 'em strong. The two of them ended up in the finals. We were stuck a little money for the trip, hotel, food, entry fee, et cetera, but I wanted so much for Keith to win this tournament. We needed the dough badly. :frown:

It was a close finals between Frankie and Keith, but Keith managed to triumph. As soon as he sunk that last ball for the win, he immediately turned around and looked at me. I will never, ever forget that look. It was like he knew how much we needed the money, and he wanted to see how happy it made me that he won. That glance by Keith warmed my heart. He was so proud to win this one, not that he wanted to beat Frankie so much, but that he wanted to please me.

And he did. :wub:

Mike Zuglan (Joss Tour TD), Frankie Hernandez, Keith, and Rocco Spinelli who is the owner of The Golden Cue in Albany, New York.

Attachments

• Zuglan, Frankie Hernandez, Keith, and Rocco Spinelli.jpg
    Zuglan, Frankie Hernandez, Keith, and Rocco Spinelli.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 253

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
"The Color of Money" is really on cable TV a lot and I've watched it many times. I've always liked it better than "The Hustler." To me, "The Hustler" is about life, while "The Color of Money" is about pool and all the wrinkles and fascinations of the pool scene itself.

Both great films, but "The Color of Money" is the one for me.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Me -2

I own a dvd of the movie or vhs can't remeber which but as I was channel surfing the other night I saw it on showtime. I couldn't help but watch it again as it was a great movie. I have seen it probably 10 times.

Kevin

I do the same thing. I keep telling myself I will just watch this scene but I do that from scene to scene until I hear " I 'm BACK ! "

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

Then does Efren answer, "It just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?" ;) I recently had the pleasure of proving to my wife that "Grady Seasons" was played by a real player, not some actor...she doesn't get my infatuation with the game and it's legends. I have to remind her that she met me in a pool hall in the middle of a money match all those years ago...

I ran into Earl Strickland last weekend in New York at Steinway Billiards...I was in town with my family (and my brother's family) touring, and we went up to Astoria to check out the Greek pastry shops (my wife's Greek). I led the clan on a long detour to Steinway in the hope that Earl would be holding court...which he was. I was giggling like a girl when I introduced myself and shot the breeze with him about his upcoming match with Efren. My brother (he's a player, too) explained to my wife that she just had to understand my "man crush"; Earl's been my hero since I started playing back in the '80s. My wife said, "he seems kind of arrogant"..:grin-square: I told her he had a lot of reasons to be.

That's the second hall of famer I've met in as many months (I ran into Mike Sigel last month in a tournament at Champion's Billiards in Frederick). Hopefully I'll get the pleasure of meeting your man soon, and I'll have hit the Trifecta! :thumbup: You should drag him down to Midlothian for the Virginia State 10 Ball Championship next weekend...there's still a few spots open. Maybe I could draw him, I'd much rather suffer one of those "nightmares" from him than get smoked by one of the regional players like I usually do! :)