The Young Guns Match-Up

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It was an amazing match up to 60-60. Chris had climbed back after being down quite a bit, and he took the lead. At this point, it looked like he was going to be a runaway train. Then Tyler closed out the session winning the last 7 to go 67-60. And the next day, it was all Tyler.

It's not like Tyler outdistanced him from the start or progressively increased the lead. It was 60-60, something happened that Tyler flipped the switch up, and Chris flipped the switch down.

Thanks for your insights, my friend. Sounds like it was competitive much of the way, but Tyler always rated to pull away at some point.

Chris is a fine young man and a fine young player whose game is on the rise, likely a future member of Team USA at the Mosconi Cup. Chris has a very solid game and a winning attitude, but Tyler is further along in his development as a player, possessing a more effective break and slightly better fundamentals.

Wishing both of them continued success as they navigate the path to greater and greater excellence over the glorious green felt. So far, they have both given us reason to be excited about the future of American pool.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris should've challenged Tyler in 9b so he wouldn't have to fade Tyler's big 10b break.

Same reason why Filler doesn't want Shane long race 10b.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris should've challenged Tyler in 9b so he wouldn't have to fade Tyler's big 10b break.

Same reason why Filler doesn't want Shane long race 10b.

What would be the reason for Shane not playing Filler in 9 ball?

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I liked the trash talking they did about in each other in the interviews. Tyler saying Johan didn't pick Chris for the Mosconi because his stroke doesn't hold up and Chris saying Tyler only hangs in because of his break lol I think it was scripted to stir up drama like they do in UFC or boxing but it made me think. We need stuff like that in pool. Why is poker so big? The personalities.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I liked the trash talking they did about in each other in the interviews. Tyler saying Johan didn't pick Chris for the Mosconi because his stroke doesn't hold up and Chris saying Tyler only hangs in because of his break lol I think it was scripted to stir up drama like they do in UFC or boxing but it made me think. We need stuff like that in pool. Why is poker so big? The personalities.

Tyler in that promo video:

"The biggest difference between me and Chris -- I just think I'm a little bit better in every part of the game."

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What would be the reason for Shane not playing Filler in 9 ball?

Might be because Filler seems to torture him over and over at nine ball.

About four months ago, they played two matches at the Mosconi

First match: Filler 5 Shane 1
Second match: Filler 5 Shane 0

The met again at the Derby City 9-ball in January

Filler 9 Shane 2

That's 19-3 Filler in the last 22 racks they've played against each other. Shane won't play Filler a long 9-ball race because he knows better.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Filler 9 Shane 2

That's 19-3 Filler in the last 22 racks they've played against each other. Shane won't play Filler a long 9-ball race because he knows better.

With TPAs of .984 and .714. :yikes:

This is one of the reasons I read AZ....thank you, gentlemen.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Filler 9 Shane 2

Most posts refer to Filler being scared to play Shane 10 ball and probably rightfully so. Looks like Shane has a reason to be scared a little also,lol.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did hear Ra make a comment bout Larry Nevel taking smack about something during the match, but I didn't see the comments he was referring to. Anyone know what that was about?

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did hear Ra make a comment bout Larry Nevel taking smack about something during the match, but I didn't see the comments he was referring to. Anyone know what that was about?

He made some comments about Tyler. Not real sure what they were though

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Filler 9 Shane 2

Roy said earlier this year that Shane agreed to play Filler 9 ball ( initially Shane wanted 10b and Filler wanted 9b) and they just have to agreed on dates.
But that could have been before the Derby match LOL.
19-3 is strong. There were some calculations here that race to 20 may good enough to determine the better player
:grin:

Tyler's 10b break is HUGE...top 10 in the world

controlled the 1b and qb

Chris said on the stream that Tyler has best break in world. He could be right if we look at successful break % from AtLarge stats. Even higher than Shane. Break win% also pretty good but his stats in other areas (Misses, Fouls) were bad. He would still lose (quite badly) against a weak breaker like Bergman

Last edited: