Production Cue you Swear By.....

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My cue is 10 years old.
In human years thats 70 years old.
None of us are as good at 70 as we once were.
But it still keeps pocketing balls pretty good.

In cue years that's about a day and a half for me

The Lucasi hybrid with Flexpoint shaft is a pretty nice set up, but
I'm still partial to Schon. cues.
For low deflection I like the Jacoby hybrid

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon. Mine is 21 years old and hits like day 1. A couple of small finish dings but that's it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am confused. How could this be Jeff ? Is your REVO a 5/16x18 Uni-Loc 5/16 x 14 Wavy combo joint ?

The person that owned (still owns) the cues in question, had all of his pins changed to uniloc radial when the revo was first released.

I would never have changed the Boar or TS pin. The mezz cue, ehhh, not a biggie. Then again, if I had his money, I would burn mine.

He has more than just a few $$$$ cues that he has changed to "his" specs.

Having said that, he had more than one revo changed over to various pins but he prefers the uniloc radial so, he went the other way.

Jeff

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since my Predator has been my #1 player for the last 15 years I guess I swear by it. I don’t think if I played with a $5000 custom I would play any better. I would like to try a mezz someday.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NEVER heard that about Mezz cues. The higher-end ones are fancier that's about it. Same joints, shafts, cores, tapers. That makes no sense. The Exceeds are super nice but don't play any better.

I'm not talking about high end cues.
For example Mezz Axi K is the entry level cue and Mezz Axi 153 is a bit expensive but not a high end. Axi 153 cue plays much better than Axi K.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since my Predator has been my #1 player for the last 15 years I guess I swear by it. I don’t think if I played with a $5000 custom I would play any better. I would like to try a mezz someday.

Not sure what shaft you use but, if you have your shaft fit to a mezz, I would be very surprised if you would see any difference as long as the mezz was the same weight, same balance point and same length as your predator butt.

A buddy of mine took several really high end cue (boar, TS....etc...etc) butts and had the pin changed to radial uniloc so he could use his revo on them.

Later, he was letting people hit balls with them and most was disappointed. Not because they didn't play well but, because they expected them to play much better than his previous roadline cue and it's just not gonna happen these days.

Modern technology dragged production cues into and beyond the quality range of the most elite custom cue makers as far as playability goes.

Jeff

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure what shaft you use but, if you have your shaft fit to a mezz, I would be very surprised if you would see any difference as long as the mezz was the same weight, same balance point and same length as your predator butt.

A buddy of mine took several really high end cue (boar, TS....etc...etc) butts and had the pin changed to radial uniloc so he could use his revo on them.

Later, he was letting people hit balls with them and most was disappointed. Not because they didn't play well but, because they expected them to play much better than his previous roadline cue and it's just not gonna happen these days.

Modern technology dragged production cues into and beyond the quality range of the most elite custom cue makers as far as playability goes.

Jeff

I don't know that I would agree with that.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Jeff

I don't like the taper on most of those low deflection production shafts.
The hit is subjective but for me the custom cues I like play better than the numerous
production low defection cues & shafts I've had lately.
The production stuff plays good to a point but without the feel I like from a good custom cue.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't like the taper on most of those low deflection production shafts.
The hit is subjective but for me the custom cues I like play better than the numerous
production low defection cues & shafts I've had lately.
The production stuff plays good to a point but without the feel I like from a good custom cue.

As far as what I've experienced, as long as I take a "shaft" that "I like" I can pair it with any butt and be happy as a pig in slop as long as the weight and balance point is same or really, really close.

I could've saved myself a fortune when I was a lot younger if I would've tried cheaper cues with same specs as my expensive players.

YMMV,

Jeff

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
As far as what I've experienced, as long as I take a "shaft" that "I like" I can pair it with any butt and be happy as a pig in slop as long as the weight and balance point is same or really, really close.

I could've saved myself a fortune when I was a lot younger if I would've tried cheaper cues with same specs as my expensive players.

YMMV,

Jeff

This rings true for me too. Once you find that "spot" within your playing realm that just "fits" you right... you can go on the hunt for something with the exact same specs and get some very desirable as far as play-ability.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Update to everyone:

The Mezz came in yesterday! A day early.... and yes I was anxious to play with it. So a little cue review of my thoughts after 2 hours of horsing around with it(yes I know there's a review section)

This is for all you people who said "go with a Mezz!"
How in the world did I not play with this sooner!!:cool::cool:

For the price range being spot on, it hits fantastic. j2pac you were right when you said if a modified 3/8 by 10 is the joint I'm used to..... the Mezz United or Wavy won't be far from the mark. It screws together tight! And yes he did throw in the JP's. :smile:

The finish and figure on the wood is WAY better than pictures offer. Beautiful cue, yet under the radar. A true sneaky with it's own little Mezz twist I guess you can say.

The 30" shaft will take a little adjustment, but man what a solid hit! the mx-700 is low deflection and still has that feel of a nice undoctored maple. Kamui tan soft works well on it. There's no finish after 4" of the shaft, just pure wood, which is what I'm after.

Any style of play I threw out there just felt superb. Open bridge slow deliberate. Closed bridge fast and loose. One stroking three rail positiion. Slow rolling top inside to check spin the rails...... feels great!

The butt end feels the best. It's got that 'thin' style manufacture, where the diameter is a little less than standard. Feels great in my hand, it's what I'm used to.

Feedback is just damn good, guys. Any mistakes I was making last night, I could tell were just getting into the cue a little better. It's like I can feel when anything is fundamentally off!

So wish me luck, I'm out to snap off some tournaments :killingme:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update to everyone:

The Mezz came in yesterday! A day early.... and yes I was anxious to play with it. So a little cue review of my thoughts after 2 hours of horsing around with it(yes I know there's a review section)

This is for all you people who said "go with a Mezz!"
How in the world did I not play with this sooner!!:cool::cool:

For the price range being spot on, it hits fantastic. j2pac you were right when you said if a modified 3/8 by 10 is the joint I'm used to..... the Mezz United or Wavy won't be far from the mark. It screws together tight! And yes he did throw in the JP's. :smile:

The finish and figure on the wood is WAY better than pictures offer. Beautiful cue, yet under the radar. A true sneaky with it's own little Mezz twist I guess you can say.

The 30" shaft will take a little adjustment, but man what a solid hit! the mx-700 is low deflection and still has that feel of a nice undoctored maple. Kamui tan soft works well on it. There's no finish after 4" of the shaft, just pure wood, which is what I'm after.

Any style of play I threw out there just felt superb. Open bridge slow deliberate. Closed bridge fast and loose. One stroking three rail positiion. Slow rolling top inside to check spin the rails...... feels great!

The butt end feels the best. It's got that 'thin' style manufacture, where the diameter is a little less than standard. Feels great in my hand, it's what I'm used to.

Feedback is just damn good, guys. Any mistakes I was making last night, I could tell were just getting into the cue a little better. It's like I can feel when anything is fundamentally off!

So wish me luck, I'm out to snap off some tournaments :killingme:
They are fine cues. You did good.