Earl On MC...Just A Hunch

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Morris position play is terrible - cant have that in your own game let alone doubles

I'm always interested to read your posts, but sometimes you say things that make me scratch my head. You said Jesse Bowman (I think it was him) "can't play a lick on any table", now you're saying Rodney's "position play is terrible". Ya gotta give these guys a little credit.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'm always interested to read your posts, but sometimes you say things that make me scratch my head. You said Jesse Bowman (I think it was him) "can't play a lick on any table", now you're saying Rodney's "position play is terrible". Ya gotta give these guys a little credit.

That was a little humor with the Jesse thing lol. Rodney is outta line a lot for the level he plays - great player, but doing that in the doubles will kill a team.
Jason

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this is the team. Don't quote me on it ;)

Most likely. Ages add up, and it did say that a lot of people wouldn't be happy with the seasoned vet pick.

I don't mind Hatch. The only over 40 guys I wouldn't want on the team are Archer and Strickland.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Most likely. Ages add up, and it did say that a lot of people wouldn't be happy with the seasoned vet pick.

I don't mind Hatch. The only over 40 guys I wouldn't want on the team are Archer and Strickland.

But if you had a choice, wouldn't you pick Rodney over Hatch? Hatch plays extremely well but he's only done good in one Mosconi Cup in 2009 where he received MVP, Morris however, has done well in multiple Mosconi Cups and I personally don't see them on the same level. When the heat is on, Hatch can and will fold. Rodney handles the pressure well.

Maybe AtLarge can chime in and compare Rodney's overall performance vs. Dennis' in the Mosconi Cup.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But if you had a choice, wouldn't you pick Rodney over Hatch? Hatch plays extremely well but he's only done good in one Mosconi Cup in 2009 where he received MVP, Morris however, has done well in multiple Mosconi Cups and I personally don't see them on the same level. When the heat is on, Hatch can and will fold. Rodney handles the pressure well.

Maybe AtLarge can chime in and compare Rodney's overall performance vs. Dennis' in the Mosconi Cup.

Eh, I feel it's close when the pressure is on for either of them.

I think Hatch can stay focused more when things don't go his way.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Maybe AtLarge can chime in and compare Rodney's overall performance vs. Dennis' in the Mosconi Cup.

Here are their records for all of the matches in which they have been involved, counting a full point for each win or loss:

• • Rodney Morris (10 years -- 2003-2008, 2010-2011, 2013, 2016) ..... 10-8 singles, 12-17 doubles, 2-0 trebles, 3-5 teams, 27-30 total (winning percentage of 47%)
    • Dennis Hatch (4 years -- 2009-2010, 2012-2013) ..... 4-3 singles, 5-7 doubles, 2-2 teams, 11-12 total (48%)

And here are their contributions to the actual match scores, counting half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, etc.

• • Morris ..... 10-8 singles, 6.0-8.5 doubles, 0.7-0 trebles, 0.5-1.0 teams, 17.2-17.5 total (50%)
    • Hatch ..... 4-3 singles, 2.5-3.5 doubles, 0.4-0.4 teams, 6.9-6.9 total (50%)

--------------------------
Morris used to have a great Mosconi record, but not any more. His record is bifurcated:
  • • First 4 appearances: 7-0 singles, 7-3 doubles, 2-0 trebles, 2-0 teams, 18-3 total (86%)
    • Last 6 appearances: 3-8 singles, 5-14 doubles, 1-5 teams, 9-27 total (25%)
[But he did have Team USA's only win in a singles match last year.]

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly why we need AtLarge around lol. Those stats go to show that the two players have essentially identical records and if anything hatch might be the better selection as of late

I'll admit before seeing the two back to back stats I was inclined to think Morris was better but numbers don't lie.

I'm at the point where I've put all my cards on the table n shown who I believe would be the best overall team but everyday that gets closer I'm more concerned with whoever is picked gets the job done. Kinda like my Philadelphia eagles.. I listen to talk radio 365 and hear every opinion but come Sunday when the season starts I don't care whose out there all I'll be doing is rooting for them to play good and more importantly WIN BABY WIN

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Here are their records for all of the matches in which they have been involved, counting a full point for each win or loss:

• • Rodney Morris (10 years -- 2003-2008, 2010-2011, 2013, 2016) ..... 10-8 singles, 12-17 doubles, 2-0 trebles, 3-5 teams, 27-30 total (winning percentage of 47%)
    • Dennis Hatch (4 years -- 2009-2010, 2012-2013) ..... 4-3 singles, 5-7 doubles, 2-2 teams, 11-12 total (48%)

And here are their contributions to the actual match scores, counting half a point for each player in a doubles win or loss, etc.

• • Morris ..... 10-8 singles, 6.0-8.5 doubles, 0.7-0 trebles, 0.5-1.0 teams, 17.2-17.5 total (50%)
    • Hatch ..... 4-3 singles, 2.5-3.5 doubles, 0.4-0.4 teams, 6.9-6.9 total (50%)

--------------------------
Morris used to have a great Mosconi record, but not any more. His record is bifurcated:
  • • First 4 appearances: 7-0 singles, 7-3 doubles, 2-0 trebles, 2-0 teams, 18-3 total (86%)
    • Last 6 appearances: 3-8 singles, 5-14 doubles, 1-5 teams, 9-27 total (25%)
[But he did have Team USA's only win in a singles match last year.]

Wow, you came in clutch. I didn't realize Rodney played in 6 more Cups than Hatch did. I guess they're even though :eek:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
So nobody has a problem with matchrooms picking players ahead of three points tournaments? Just have the players that they want and show no respect for the players or there points amount.? Johnnyt

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So nobody has a problem with matchrooms picking players ahead of three points tournaments? Just have the players that they want and show no respect for the players or there points amount.? Johnnyt

???

There's only one points event left. The Houston Open which starts tomorrow.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, you came in clutch. I didn't realize Rodney played in 6 more Cups than Hatch did. I guess they're even though :eek:

You can't use analytics unless you have excatly the same comparisons , obviously that's not possible,,, records really don't mean much unless they are all playing the same players analytics 101

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any way you cut it Team USA will once again be big underdogs this year. If by some miracle or Johan's excellent coaching he can get these guys, particularly Shane, to be able to play better under pressure and improve their safety play, kicking and jumping, then we might see some real competition for the first time in years. Too many fouls spoils the broth! :thumbup:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

IF they did, then yes
Jason