9ft vs 7ft

PhishPhan1995

Registered
Thanks Everyone for the suggestions. I'm kinda surprised at he amount of people that said 9ft.

I have another dilemma that just came up. So I called and talked with diamond and seyberts beings they are closest dealer to my location. its 12 to 14 weeks out for any table i order new since it will need to be 3 piece slate. plus 1k for delivery and setup

I found a 7ft diamond purchased in July 3 piece slatethe guy lives 30 miles from me. He is moving and needs to sell it he wanted 4500. I offered him 4k he said he would do it I called the billiards shop local to me they said they will move and set up the table for 450. I could be shooting pool on it next weekend. Plus a price savings of 2450.00 from the 9ft

So would the savings change anyone's mind?

I also feel like at that price if i ended up wishing I had a 9ft i could order one and when it gets here sell the 7ft table. I would think i would be able to get 4k back out of it? I have the room for 2 tables so its not like i couldn't move the 7ft over the other side of the room till someone purchased it.

I'm gonna be honest I have never really had the desire to shoot on a 9ft table and when I do I don't feel intimidated by the size the only thing i notice is the shots tend to seem longer and deflection comes into play more.

Another thing i worry about is I'm older now have a little more time to dedicate to the sport I'm dead set on putting in loads of time to get much better so when start practicing more at home will I grave that 9ft table? I have a 2 day session with Mark Wilson next month. My goal is to see how good i can actually get.

Sorry for rambling just trying to hear what others have to say and maybe here some mistakes they felt they made in there pool table purchase.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
If you practice long shots on a 9' table every day, nothing on a 7' table will ever seem long to you.

You get hooked more often on a 7' table. You get more opportunities on a 9' table, but they can be more challenging opportunities. I love big tables, but it's not due to my skill level.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Cannot recommend the used 7' or the new 9' either way.

But IMO, if you've been playing 22 years, 3 1/2 months seems an insignificant amount of time. YMMV

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Phishphan. I like the name. Money and time wise is whatever but if you’re planning on seriously improving and playing real good pool I’d also go for the 9’. I don’t know what level you play at but if you ever want to take up one pocket or straight pool, bank pool..you need a bigger table to really get the full experience.

I can also verify the oversized 8’ is a fun table and I can bounce around pretty easily but I much prefer 9s.

And if you play on a 7 all the time the long shots will seem long, even playing just a few days in a row does it to me. But I rarely play on them and it’s always fun and confidence building when I do.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 footers suck for me. long shots just too long, cant see the angles. buy the 7 footer, will be better as you get older and more enjoyable.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if all you play on is 7's and you have no future plans on transition to 9's from time to time then you get the 7. It's as simple as that. Each of us will do different things based on our own life, in all of yours you have not made significant effort to play on 9's so leave it that way.
All that you've heard about playing on the 9 and are great but applies where it applies, not knowing your skill and such. you can have a 12 and not put in the proper practice to make anything worth while, you get that 7 and master that.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
questions only you can answer

There are questions only you can answer. The cash difference can be a bit deal to one person, toilet paper to another. However, I can talk a little about big table practice for little table play.

I did just that for years. I practiced on a snooker table then went and gambled on usually a seven foot table, sometimes a nine. My aim and touch were both great and losses were very rare. I had a local small time hustler staying with me a few days and I took him to the snooker table without telling him why. He cussed and complained about forty-five minutes but then started making a few balls. An hour or two later we moved on to a local watering hole. Rod got in action. When he hit the very first ball he looked up at me and grinned. I just said "Yeah." No more needed to be said.

If you play exclusively on a nine footer it will mess up your position play on a seven footer a little. However, even once or twice a week is plenty to keep tuned for the seven footer. Too, some half table drills and such are an option. As has been said, the nine can play like a seven footer but the seven footer can't play like a nine footer. Things like straight pool and even one-pocket against yourself can be entertaining, on the nine footer.

I will strongly recommend against the oversize eight footer. Like an eight foot table it is neither fish nor fowl. I would much prefer the seven or the nine over the odd sized table.

In the end the choice is yours. Easier to resell a modestly priced seven footer around here but a four thousand dollar seven footer isn't something most of the used table hobby buyers are looking for. Used bar tables are under a thousand and while the Diamond might demand a premium it doesn't demand four to six times premium for easy sales. Your market might be different. One question, how long has that seven footer been on the market now? Around here, if you have buyer's remorse the "high dollar" nine footer is easier to move than a "high dollar" seven footer.

I think long term you will be very glad you chose the nine over the seven footer. With the room to put it my choice would be a ten foot table, pool or snooker. However, I ain't you!

Hu

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have easy access to practicing and playing on 7 footers near your home, you can always warm up on them and put serious practice time on the 9 footer at the house. Your goals and choice is yours.

I don't play on the barbox, but I have a couple clubs 1 mile from me with several Diamond barbox tables that I could play on for 8 hours with not having to pay table time. I have a wore out 9ft table, if I ever get another table it will be a 10ft Diamond. That's what I enjoy, but everyone is different. At the end of the day, what makes you happy is what matters the most.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Everyone for the suggestions. I'm kinda surprised at he amount of people that said 9ft.

I have another dilemma that just came up. So I called and talked with diamond and seyberts beings they are closest dealer to my location. its 12 to 14 weeks out for any table i order new since it will need to be 3 piece slate. plus 1k for delivery and setup

I found a 7ft diamond purchased in July 3 piece slatethe guy lives 30 miles from me. He is moving and needs to sell it he wanted 4500. I offered him 4k he said he would do it I called the billiards shop local to me they said they will move and set up the table for 450. I could be shooting pool on it next weekend. Plus a price savings of 2450.00 from the 9ft

I also feel like at that price if i ended up wishing I had a 9ft i could order one and when it gets here sell the 7ft table. I would think i would be able to get 4k back out of it? I have the room for 2 tables so its not like i couldn't move the 7ft over the other side of the room till someone purchased it.

I'm gonna be honest I have never really had the desire to shoot on a 9ft table and when I do I don't feel intimidated by the size the only thing i notice is the shots tend to seem longer and deflection comes into play more.

Another thing i worry about is I'm older now have a little more time to dedicate to the sport I'm dead set on putting in loads of time to get much better so when start practicing more at home will I grave that 9ft table? I have a 2 day session with Mark Wilson next month. My goal is to see how good i can actually get.

Sorry for rambling just trying to hear what others have to say and maybe here some mistakes they felt they made in there pool table purchase.

You've been given some really, really good advice but, the more you say, the more it sounds like you should just buy a 7' table.

At this point all I'll add is don't get in a hurry.

Jeff

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home place is a pool hall they have 12 7ft diamonds and 3 9ft diamonds .

Another thing that might help you choose, is strictly practice on one of them 9ft tables only at the pool hall and skip the barbox for the time being. Only play on the barbox for matches in league or tournaments. Don't worry about losing your stroke or touch on the barbox, it's only temporary.

It's an almost permanent big financial decision. After strictly playing on the 9ft table, you'll know what you'll want and that's not necessarily saying it will be the 9ft table. Don't worry about what your buddies want or think. You want to kick their ass, right? LOL

Edit: If your buddies will only come over to play is if you get a barbox, don't worry about them. The less people that want to come over, the more practice time you can put in. It's a win win either way.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Do you have room for both?

If you want to develop your stroke, precision and long game, get the 9 footer. The warning is there will be an adjustment period going down to the 7 footers you compete on. The main adjustment is speed - I find myself overshooting position a lot on 7 footers, especially fast ones. However shot making is a cinch.

If you want to play better on a 7 footer without having to adjust, get the 7 footer. The warning is that your game on a 9 footer will not develop easily.

I was impressed to learn that Ernesto and Oscar Dominguez had both sizes at home and of several different brands. They tried to practice before tournaments on the tables they would be using.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get the 9ft if you have the room. Bar-box is like goin' to the kiddie pool after an Olympic size. Easy peasy especially if its a Valley or a Diamond with league-cut buckets.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it’s a matter of how much you prioritize your league play on the bar box tables? If that is a priority for you regarding your pool game, I‘d get the seven footer. Otherwise, I’d recommend the nine footer, if you have plenty of room.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 ft and usually play on 9 ft tables. But when I play on fast 7 ft Diamonds, I start out over running my CB position for the next shot. Traffic is different also.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 footers suck for me. long shots just too long, cant see the angles. buy the 7 footer, will be better as you get older and more enjoyable.

There are plenty of mid 70’s year old players the beat the crap out of me so don’t give me this old players crap.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I personally would never buy a 7’ table but a good deal is hard to pass up especially when you seem to play 99% on bar boxes. However if your seriously wanting to improve your game and spend the time and money for lessons then your foolish for not getting a 9’ table with 4 1/2 inch corners.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He answered his own question when he said he wanted to get as good as he could get. Everything else is just nice conversation.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you said you have the room for a 9' table that would be the way I'd go. You can play all the games on a 9', one pocket, 14.1, 8 ball and 9 ball. Get comfortable on a 9' and the bar box IMO becomes easier.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

While it is wise to plan for the future, I fail to see the wisdom (pun intended).

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have you reached out to Statewide Billiards to see if they have anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro