How much more accurate are the REVO shafts?

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I like the Revo, but I prefer the Predator wood shafts. The Revo, to me, is sort of like a novelty. Nice to have, kinda fun to show because it's unique, but I don't play much with it anymore. I really don't like the uniloc joint and I don't like the Predator tips

Predator isn't for everyone, it just don't fit some people, and a lot of people still think it's just a gimmick so I don't really go around advertising that I play with one. The fact that mine is about a 93' alleviates some of the shit I would take for it. I'm a Predator guy, not everyone is

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Revo, but I prefer the Predator wood shafts. The Revo, to me, is sort of like a novelty. Nice to have, kinda fun to show because it's unique, but I don't play much with it anymore. I really don't like the uniloc joint and I don't like the Predator tips

Predator isn't for everyone, it just don't fit some people, and a lot of people still think it's just a gimmick so I don't really go around advertising that I play with one. The fact that mine is about a 93' alleviates some of the shit I would take for it. I'm a Predator guy, not everyone is

No right and wrong in pool cues, just what fits your personal style best. I personally am not in any way a Predator guy. I think the LD thing is overplayed and no where near the most important playing characteristic of a cue, though many now do feel that. I have tried a number of their cues and did not like the feel of any of them at all.

Give me a Treadway or Lambros any day of the week. They might be ever so slightly higher deflection than a Predator, but they are significantly better in every other way. For me.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It plays MUCH better once I got that terrible predator tip off of it. It was so inconsistant.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thing about Tiger Woods in 2000 that does not get mentioned very often was that Tiger actually had an equipment advantage that year in that he was among the first to use the truly modern solid golf ball. At that time most of the top pros were still using wound balata balls. Trevino was a notable exception playing the Top Flite ball and he got a lot of critcism for playing "rocks". Obviously everyone wholesale changed around that time as well.
Pro V1 came out at Vegas in 2000. Billy Andrade wins with it its first week out. Tiger used Titleist balls until he signed with Nike. Norman used that Top-flite TourEdition back in the mid-80's. Solid-core with what they called Zinthane, just another name for urethane. I used them and they were great balls.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever played with a z2, z3, or Revo?

I've played w/ a z2 but not a Revo.

But the 314² just deflects so little—it almost feels like a no-deflection shaft haha. Can't get less than zero, so I feel like the benefit would be marginal at best.

Edit: I didn't like the z because of the diameter, but the deflection seemed just as low as the 314

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played w/ a z2 but not a Revo.

But the 314² just deflects so little—it almost feels like a no-deflection shaft haha. Can't get less than zero, so I feel like the benefit would be marginal at best.

Edit: I didn't like the z because of the diameter, but the deflection seemed just as low as the 314

Has Oscar thinned his down to 9mm - if he has one?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I got to hit with one last night, and it's definitely as accurate as the newest tennis racquet, and possibly almost as accurate as some of the top golf balls. I can't believe how pinpoint the cue's aiming is. if I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say it's at least 30% more accurate than a sailboat, and 50% more accurate than chopsticks. if we'd had some revo's spotting for us in Vietnam, we'd have won the war.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About as accurate as a normal, boring 9mm ash Snooker shaft with a thin walled brass ferrule. No LD coring or so needed.

haha!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
About as accurate as a normal, boring 9mm ash Snooker shaft with a thin walled brass ferrule. No LD coring or so needed.

haha!

I'd be careful about that...Sometimes if you hit hard with pool balls, the ferrule will dig into the shaft shoulder and ruin the shaft. If it's a cheap POS, that's ok but if it's a 500 Euro Parris cue...Not so ok. Unless you go nuts with it, you'll probably be ok, but I have seen several examples of this, so I'm not just making it up.

The Chineese 8 ball cues have a carbon ferrule and are very solid and accurate hitting. They are also closely resembling snooker cues, which is good for people who transition from that cuesport dicipline. They tend to be 11-12mm though, so maybe they're to thick for your liking. I have seen examples down to 10mm online.

As I'm reading my own words I caught myself using the word "accurate" about a cue...What I meant is that these conical tapered, solid wood shafts tend to go through the ball. I suspect the difficulty some seem to have with ld-shafts is the (necessary) fact that they deflect away from the cueball or bend in unpredictable ways, especially pro tapered shafts. What I've found is that I struggle a bit with the speed control with these shafts, as they tend to act differently at different speeds. The bending causes a "mushy" feedback at higher speeds. A solid conical shaft tends to act in a similar fashion in both hard and soft speeds. It's easy to "feel" the speed at even pretty hard stun-shots with a cue like that. Though most "pool cue" conical tapers are too weak to have this benefit. A snooker cue is too thin for pool and tend to flex too much, but the thicker Chinese 8-ball cues are properly sized and thus act exactly like a snooker cue would on a snooker table.

FWIW, IMO, ETC

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to hit with one last night, and it's definitely as accurate as the newest tennis racquet, and possibly almost as accurate as some of the top golf balls. I can't believe how pinpoint the cue's aiming is. if I had to put a percentage on it, I'd say it's at least 30% more accurate than a sailboat, and 50% more accurate than chopsticks. if we'd had some revo's spotting for us in Vietnam, we'd have won the war.

Posted from Azbilliards.com App for Android

I am with this guy.

The REVO shaft is so accurate that it makes the cue ball go right where you hit it 99.999% of the time. That other .001% is when the shaft decided it didn't like your shot selection.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thrilled with my REVO

I'm personally thrilled with my REVO 12.9 Shaft. I finally took the plunge and can say I think it's more accurate than my 314-2. I don't play too much anymore and feel like I can do more with the cue ball with less effort, and certainly can see the difference when I end up out of line and elevated off the rail, or when I'm loading up my cue ball with heavy english full table. I've also noted that I can throw balls more readily because of how much action I'm getting. The finish is stellar and with minimal maintenance it feels terrific.

Everyone has an opinion, but I really have enjoyed playing with it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Yes, it is easier to throw the object ball with a REVO shaft. It seems that my REVO shaft draws the cue ball far easier than my other shafts. I can also spin the cue ball more easily. That being said, taming the side spin is like taming a wild stallion. In the meantime, I will try to use less side spin. :)

Earl Strickland would enjoy playing with my REVO cue.
Many years ago Mike Gulyassey made me a shaft just like the one Earl was using and you could put huge amounts of spin on the cue ball but it was hard to control. (It had a straight taper about 18" in length. Lol)

I'm not having much trouble with controlling the cue ball even though I have only played with the used REVO cue for a couple of days.

So far, I have broke even in local matches. No tournaments so far. If I stay close to the center of the cue ball with side spin, I have more consistent accuracy, but if I need to curve the cue ball a little more, going outside will do the trick.

Looking forward to putting the cue under pressure in a pool tournament real soon. So many bar table tournaments. I think I would like to try my luck on 9 footers, maybe 9 ball, even though I am weak at rotation games.

JoeyA

I'm personally thrilled with my REVO 12.9 Shaft. I finally took the plunge and can say I think it's more accurate than my 314-2. I don't play too much anymore and feel like I can do more with the cue ball with less effort, and certainly can see the difference when I end up out of line and elevated off the rail, or when I'm loading up my cue ball with heavy english full table. I've also noted that I can throw balls more readily because of how much action I'm getting. The finish is stellar and with minimal maintenance it feels terrific.

Everyone has an opinion, but I really have enjoyed playing with it.

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it is easier to throw the object ball with a REVO shaft. It seems that my REVO shaft draws the cue ball far easier than my other shafts. I can also spin the cue ball more easily. That being said, taming the side spin is like taming a wild stallion. In the meantime, I will try to use less side spin. :)

Earl Strickland would enjoy playing with my REVO cue.
Many years ago Mike Gulyassey made me a shaft just like the one Earl was using and you could put huge amounts of spin on the cue ball but it was hard to control. (It had a straight taper about 18" in length. Lol)

I'm not having much trouble with controlling the cue ball even though I have only played with the used REVO cue for a couple of days.

So far, I have broke even in local matches. No tournaments so far. If I stay close to the center of the cue ball with side spin, I have more consistent accuracy, but if I need to curve the cue ball a little more, going outside will do the trick.

Looking forward to putting the cue under pressure in a pool tournament real soon. So many bar table tournaments. I think I would like to try my luck on 9 footers, maybe 9 ball, even though I am weak at rotation games.

JoeyA

Joey, is this the special Revo? Or is this a 12.9 or 12.4?

Cocoa