What's your Pool Nickname?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kickin's post about the Lion prompted me to post my "Laser" nickname there, and while I think we had a thread like this a while ago, it's time again LOL

What's you pool nickname and how did you get it?

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave

My real name is David

Trollface_emoticon.png

We have a few guys around here with nicknames:
Jaybird, Red Rifle, Kentucky Bob, Kid Chris, Kid Carl, there's more that I can't think of. I've heard Eddie Brown called Downtown Eddie Brown a few times, but don't think he goes by that. I often hear people call Richie Richeson, Richie Rich.

When I was 17-18 going in the pool halls, people would refer to me as Ponchatoula Dave when I played one hole. No one could pronounce or remember my last name. I never went by the name, but that's what they called me.

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
"Friday" has been my nickname amongst a few folks at the local hall I frequent. I would only gamble every other Friday (payday) so I guess it was fitting.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Buzzard" is a motorcycle nickname, due to my propensity toward taking out various birds at high speed, in a bloody, feathery mess. Had it for twenty years.

Then I retired to Virginia from North Jersey. We were considered "different" among the locals. I was the guy from Jersey with three motorcycles in the garage. Very strange, everyone was watching the Sopranos at the time. So, at a social gathering, much to my wife's embarrassment, I blurted out, speaking at high speed, " Hey, how ya doin' I'm Jimmy 'da Vig". It stuck. I even had to explain what a vig was.

My pool game sucks, I don't deserve a name.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I was nicknamed "Hunnerd" in the 60's-70's by the old-timers at Circus Billiards in San Jose, Ca.
because I insisted on playing a set of 1-hole or 14.1(to 150) for no less than $100.00 .
I laid off Pool from 1980 - 1998, and the nickname faded into the sunset.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not my nickname but there was i guy who passed away his nickname was christmas.because playing him was like getting gifts on chrismas day. r.i p.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
When I was young they called me "Out Al" because in 9 ball ring games, I either ran out or sold out. Safety never crossed my mind.
Later, I was known as Big Al because I was 6'3 260 lbs.
After I developed a strong break, I use to make 3 or 4 balls most of the time.
One day I cracked em and made 7. Some one yelled "Do you think you used enough dynamite Butch?" so they stared calling Butch :)
Now I guess I should be called "Amazing Al" because I'm always amazed when I run out :)

Silver Cue was my "CB" handle when everyone had CBs.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Drawman is another casualty to the seduction of backspin.

Jimmy Varnish once commented that I've got a donut stroke...after the set there is nothing left in my pockets but coffee and donut money.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Stevie Wonder-Bread

Given to me by "New Rochelle Johnny" aka Johnny B (of NYC fame)

According to Johnny, it was inspired by the occasional Jeopardy game show category "the same name game" where each following name must have a firm recognition with the name that precedes it.

Steve's my first name,
Wonder is a name widely recognized with the preceding name/word Stevie
Bread is a name widely recognized with the preceding name/word Wonder

Johnny denied that the Stevie Wonder part was in any way a commentary on how well or poorly (depending on your point of view), that I played Pool. To this day I'm not sure I believe him :(:embarrassed2:.

A few of the other fellow victims of a misspent youth:

Mitch K (of the now defunct Post Billiards) "Mitch-erack", as a tribute to Steve Mizerak

Paulie C: "Cut Man" Paul had a lazy eye (or something going on) which gave him an uncanny ability to sink difficult cut shots whereas a straight in shot was too much to ask from him.

Mikey L: "The Lyte" Mike was tipping the scales at 3 and a Quarter prior to bariatric surgery.

Rick The Hick...Rick wore grunge flannel, denim and leather exclusively before anyone had ever heard of grunge music. Such a regular at denizen at Executive Billiards, one night when had the flu and was too sick to come in, he actually "called in sick" so we wouldn't worry about him when he didn't show up. True story.

George the Greek: George was Greek, but like Jimmy the Greek, at least at Yonkers Raceway (where George was once a Trotters jockey) he had an almost psychic ability to "figure out" the winner before the race had even started...nuff said ;) . George was expelled from the rank and file of being a Jockey of any type and to my knowledge never won his appeal or lawsuit for reinstatement.

Glenn OPP. Glen lived in an area group home. A regular at Executive who could shoot a pretty good stick nevertheless, he must've spent his money on mostly Pool because as far as anyone could tell, he only ever had/wore One Pair of Pants.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For a short while, among a few people, I was "Mr. Bo Angles" - I guess cause they thought I kicked pretty good. But whadda those amateurs know? :)

pj <- always an angle
chgo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Captain stretch nuts" but I can't talk about how that came about;)

I've played with you for years and I've never heard that LOL, are you sure that pool players gave you that nickname or someone you met at a bar? :wink::grin-square:

liakos

Banned
I've played with you for years and I've never heard that LOL, are you sure that pool players gave you that nickname or someone you met at a bar? :wink::grin-square:

Lol, actually, I started playing about a yr before we met. I started playing at my local bowling alley! Anyway, I still play there because of my "older" friends there and that came nickname came about a couple ,3 yrs ago from one the oldtimers! It has something to do with my stroke!