14.1 Safety Play Lesson - Thanks SJM!

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everybody. I took a lesson from SJM two weeks ago at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. I highly recommend you take Stu up on his offer to teach the fine points of safety play. He is a true gentleman, and has a real understanding of the game. He teaches some high level players at Amsterdam, so I know he will have something to offer anybody who takes him up on his offer. He teaches for free, and only asks that you be a serious player, occasionally passing on some of your knowledge to others. Oh, it will cost you table time and maybe a $3 bottle of water (hey, it's New York :smile:)

He covers all types of safeties, and when to use intentional scratches. He'll also give you an outline of your lesson so you have something to refer back to. The main thing you will learn is how to think about safety play. I have always executed safes pretty well, I just didn't have a good plan. If I could keep safe and knock out a ball or two I was happy. I had no clue, really, when to take an intentional foul so I was afraid to use this important tool.

I played a good player for my local league finals match, and I can say I out safed him almost every time. He is actually knowledgeable about safety play, using some of the techniques Stu teaches, but I was still able to outlast him for the most part. I can see much more clearly now that some other people I've played since my lesson have a lot to learn, and don't even realize it.

I have also made some bone-head moves playing safeties recently. However, I've been trying different ideas that I've never done before, and sometimes they don't work out. It's just more education as to when to try something and when not to.

I'll post more on specific follow up questions, and hopefully SJM and others will chime in.

Thanks again, SJM!

BigAL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everybody. I took a lesson from SJM two weeks ago at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. I highly recommend you take Stu up on his offer to teach the fine points of safety play. He is a true gentleman, and has a real understanding of the game. He teaches some high level players at Amsterdam, so I know he will have something to offer anybody who takes him up on his offer. He teaches for free, and only asks that you be a serious player, occasionally passing on some of your knowledge to others. Oh, it will cost you table time and maybe a $3 bottle of water (hey, it's New York :smile:)

He covers all types of safeties, and when to use intentional scratches. He'll also give you an outline of your lesson so you have something to refer back to. The main thing you will learn is how to think about safety play. I have always executed safes pretty well, I just didn't have a good plan. If I could keep safe and knock out a ball or two I was happy. I had no clue, really, when to take an intentional foul so I was afraid to use this important tool.

I played a good player for my local league finals match, and I can say I out safed him almost every time. He is actually knowledgeable about safety play, using some of the techniques Stu teaches, but I was still able to outlast him for the most part. I can see much more clearly now that some other people I've played since my lesson have a lot to learn, and don't even realize it.

I have also made some bone-head moves playing safeties recently. However, I've been trying different ideas that I've never done before, and sometimes they don't work out. It's just more education as to when to try something and when not to.

I'll post more on specific follow up questions, and hopefully SJM and others will chime in.

Thanks again, SJM!

Is this stu matana? Same guy who taught Jeanette lee some 14.1? And he teaches for free at Amsterdam? Please give me his info I'd love to meet him and pick his brain. I play at the 14.1 league at Amsterdam and haven't really seen him around. Been buggin Barouty to teach me but I know he's got his hands full at the moment. Thanks again for any info u can provide

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I would love to Do a few sessions with Stu, I had no idea that he taught !

Pass this on to him, tell him he can reach me here. Also I will probably see him at the worlds. I just don't know yet in what attire !!!

Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Let's start by dispelling the myth that I. Stu Mattana, taught Jeanette Lee. She and I have been very close friends for many, many years,and we have practiced 14.1 together for hundreds of hours, but she is a great scholar of all aspects of 14.1. As many will know, Jeannete is origiinally from Queens NY, and her mentor was the legendary 400 ball runner Gene Nagy.

BigAl, you should take that lesson from Dan Barouty, one of 14.1's greatest scholars, not to mention one of the game's greatest ambassadors.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Thanks again, SJM!

It was a pleasure, Dan. Thanks for listening. I'll post more when the opportunity presents itself, but I'm pressed for time right now.

Stu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In case anyone cares, here is an outline of the subjects I saw fit to discuss with Dan. I've rarely seen anything in print that covered anything but Part I of my outline.

I The most basic safeties with an undisturbed rack
a) on the top ball
b) front of the pack, middle balls
c) front of the pack, corner balls
d) behind the pack, middle balls
e) behind the pack, corner balls
f) with ball in hand and opponent on a foul
f) safeties off the only loose ball

II Developing defense
a) Creating individual threats
b) Approach to creating multiple threats
both sides of the pack
when to create a threat near the side pocket
when to create a threat near the top rail
avoidance of covering existing threats

III Taking the likely defensive counter-play into account
a) anticipating the response to a given safety
b) anticipating the defensive sequence
c) changing your plan

IV Taking a scratch
a) The one rail back-scratch
when to use it
how hard to hit it
where to contact the back of the pack
b) The two rail back-scratch
when to use it
how hard to hit it
c) Freeze the cue to the pack?
d) Freeze the cue to the rail?
e) To concede a difficult shot
f) To concede a shot from which opponent can't produce much

V Strategy changes when opponent is on a foul (or on more fouls than you)
a) abandoning a run if you get stuck
b) abandoning a run if you are facing a low percentage shot

VI Escape tactics
a) taking a third foul
b) taking a second foul before shooting a very difficult shot
c) inducing your opponent to play too passively in their defense
d) responses to a back-scratch
e) responses to front of the rack second ball safety
f) response to back of the rack second ball safety
g) when you are frozen to a rail during a safety sequence

VII The 14.1 End Game
a) when you have game on the table and opponent does not
b) when opponent has game on the table and you do not
c) what to do if you determine that you cannot run out
d) what to do once you determine that you can't leave a break shot
when to run out and then play a standard safety
when to run out and then pocket the loose ball remaining
e) two-way shots on game ball

VII Safeties to avoid if some balls in an undisturbed rack aren't frozen

VIII Defensive myths

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
In case anyone cares, here is an outline of the subjects I saw fit to discuss with Dan. I've rarely seen anything in print that covered anything but Part I of my outline.

I The most basic safeties with an undisturbed rack
a) on the top ball
b) front of the pack, middle balls
c) front of the pack, corner balls
d) behind the pack, middle balls
e) behind the pack, corner balls
f) with ball in hand and opponent on a foul
f) safeties off the only loose ball

II Developing defense
a) Creating individual threats
b) Approach to creating multiple threats
both sides of the pack
when to create a threat near the side pocket
when to create a threat near the top rail
avoidance of covering existing threats

III Taking the likely defensive counter-play into account
a) anticipating the response to a given safety
b) anticipating the defensive sequence
c) changing your plan

IV Taking a scratch
a) The one rail back-scratch
when to use it
how hard to hit it
b) The two rail back-scratch
when to use it
how hard to hit it
c) Freeze the cue to the pack?
d) Freeze the cue to the rail?
e) To concede a difficult shot
f) To concede a shot from which opponent can't produce much

V Strategy changes when opponent is on a foul (or on more fouls than you)
a) abandoning a run if you get stuck
b) abandoning a run if you are facing a low percentage shot

VI Escape tactics
a) taking a third foul
b) taking a second foul before shooting a very difficult shot
c) inducing your opponent to play too passively in their defense
d) responses to a back-scratch
e) responses to front of the rack second ball safety
f) response to back of the rack second ball safety
g) when you are frozen to a rail during a safety sequence

VII The 14.1 End Game
a) when you have game on the table and opponent does not
b) when opponent has game on the table and you do not
c) what to do if you determine that you cannot run out
d) what to do once you determine that you can't leave a break shot
when to run out and then play a standard safety
when to run out and then pocket the loose ball remaining
e) two-way shots on game ball

VII Safeties to avoid if some balls in an undisturbed rack aren't frozen

VIII Defensive myths

I have a little interest, Stu.

Perhaps I will get the opportunity to pick your brain in Jersey. Maybe Charlie will let us use a table.

I should have talked to you more when you were at Derby. We had that whole straight pool room.

I lost a game to Ike Runnels in a handicapped straight pool tournament this last Saturday. The most fun I had was during extended safety battles. At least I got back to the table quickly. In fact, I think I was able to win all the safety battles. I would then do something stupid a little later and give back the table, but it was kind of fun and I would certainly love to increase my knowledge in this area.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have a little interest, Stu.

Perhaps I will get the opportunity to pick your brain in Jersey. Maybe Charlie will let us use a table.

I should have talked to you more when you were at Derby. We had that whole straight pool room.

I lost a game to Ike Runnels in a handicapped straight pool tournament this last Saturday. The most fun I had was during extended safety battles. At least I got back to the table quickly. In fact, I think I was able to win all the safety battles. I would then do something stupid a little later and give back the table, but it was kind of fun and I would certainly love to increase my knowledge in this area.

We'll try to find a way, Dennis.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Wow This looks like a great outline on safety play !

I would love to learn more !

-Steve

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

Sjm, your list of topics look amazing. Count me in for a lesson one day when I am in NY in the next year or two. Very interesting topics. I am sure that I can learn from you.
As the saying goes: "You are never too old to learn something new".

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member

Thanks again, SJM!

Dan, as you know, he gave me the same lesson right after you. I wasn't sure if Stu wanted these lessons publicized because he might not be able to keep up with the demand, but I guess the cat's out of the bag! ;)

Stu is an excellent teacher, with that rare combination of tremendous knowledge mixed with a touch of lightheartedness to keep the lessons breezy. He kept the session flowing perfectly, making sure to respond to my myriad questions but also keeping to a spectacular lesson plan.

Stu, I really learned so much, and would love to spend more time with you whenever you have a chance. Thank you so much.

- Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, I really learned so much, and would love to spend more time with you whenever you have a chance. Thank you so much.

- Steve

The pleasure was mine, Steve. I'd be happy to continue working with you on your 14.1 tactics upon my return to NYC in September.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
... I wasn't sure if Stu wanted these lessons publicized ...

Had a good chuckle here, Steve, because it is true that I do not ever wish to be thought as an instructor of pool.

My only qualification, other than the fact that I am a serious player, is that I've followed the professional tournament trail for over thirty five years and have seen first hand how several genrations of straight poolers went about their business. I'm always happy to share what I know with serious students of the game, but have always wanted to remain below the radar.

i've made an exception here in permitting some publicity, Steve, because I am hoping to revive interest in the subject of 14.1 tactical play, a part of the game rarely considered in either print or on AZB.

If I can get you and others excited about this part of the game, I will derive a sense of accomplishment from it.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Stu, thanks a lot for all that you have done for so many. And I would love to learn more.

Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu, thanks a lot for all that you have done for so many. And I would love to learn more.

Steve

I'll return to the NY area on 8/28, just on time for the 14.1 event, which I'll try to attend beginning on 8/29. Assuming you'll be there, we can talk then.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thank you Stu, I really look forward to it. Like I said before I just don't know yet which attire I will be in..

I have my first qualifier this weekend, wish me luck.

Steve

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Thank you Stu, I really look forward to it. Like I said before I just don't know yet which attire I will be in..

I have my first qualifier this weekend, wish me luck.

Steve

Steve: As long as you are attired, I think it will be ok. :smile:

Seriously, though, good luck this weekend. Just make balls when available, and "don't leave the table on a miss, if you can." Mike Grosso. :D

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgwalsh
Steve:
Seriously, though, good luck this weekend. Just make balls when available, and "don't leave the table on a miss, if you can." Mike Grosso

Where have I heard that line before........ Thumbs Up.

Good Luck Stevie.

I knew I heard it somewhere.:grin: