Old
  (#31)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Money View Post
RJ..was that your pops in the video near the beginning?
No, my dad had left for Florida by this time. There was one person listed as the owner in the video, Sonny Gaigulardo. One of his partners was Phil Gaigulardo, so I'm assuming Race Track Phil sold his interest and headed for greener pastures as well Freddy the Beard was still one of the owners then as well.

You can still buy a t-shirt from North Shore. Freddy's daughters sells them on her website (dad's website) Same t-shirt they had in the 70's, and really, one of the nicer pool hall t-shirts you will ever find.

Check out "FeddyTheBeard.com" Yep, use to wear them in HS 40 years ago. They only came in white back then, but I still thought I was bad ass LOL

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 08-13-2019 at 10:12 AM.

Old
  (#32)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the info. Freddie the Beard what a character that guy was too.

Old
  (#33)
watchez
What time is it?
watchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond reputewatchez has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5625

08-13-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Thanks John, for chiming in. Nice to know someone that actually is a respected player and actually played against him in his prime knows the guy could play. Never leaving someone a shot is quite a bit bigger strategy than folks who think he just bunted balls up table. I know you still had game at DCC as well, I was there for that 1P match, but no, I didn't stay for the entire match. Yep, he truly didn't want medals, trophies or even HOF inductions if there was no money attached
He didnít play Artie in his prime. He played Artie about a decade ago ó- well beyond his prime (whatever that was). Unfortunately there wasnít much record keeping back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Barely any in the 90s. Iíve been around pool since the mid to late 80s. Never heard of Artie and very little of Freddie for that matter. They have stories of who they beat but no one really knows. All I know is the only one pocket players that were talked about from Chicago from my early years around pool were Bugs, The Dasher....you could also include Jeff Carter. Bugs obviously being the cream of the crop.

Watchez Is The Teacher ô

Those who dance are always laughed at by those who don't even hear the f'in music - George Carlin RIP

Old
  (#34)
Rico
AzB Silver Member
Rico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond repute

Wink 08-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Ya that Don McCaughy in Iowa couldnt play 1p either because most never heard of him. All around Dallas W.,gambling still take Artie.

Old
  (#35)
ibuycues
I Love Box Cues
ibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond reputeibuycues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-13-2019, 06:24 PM

This has been a great thread.
Great comments, links, insights and reflections all offered civilly and in great form.
Much appreciated.

Will Prout

hustlers spent a lifetime on the down low
Old
  (#36)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!

ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

hustlers spent a lifetime on the down low - 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez View Post
He didnít play Artie in his prime. He played Artie about a decade ago ó- well beyond his prime (whatever that was). Unfortunately there wasnít much record keeping back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Barely any in the 90s. Iíve been around pool since the mid to late 80s. Never heard of Artie and very little of Freddie for that matter. They have stories of who they beat but no one really knows. All I know is the only one pocket players that were talked about from Chicago from my early years around pool were Bugs, The Dasher....you could also include Jeff Carter. Bugs obviously being the cream of the crop.

Hustlers spent a lifetime on the down low. It is a measure of their success when there is no hard information about them. We hear so and so beat somebody and they beat them for ever bigger figures as the stories are repeated. What was a five thousand dollar score when that was a nice score has grown in the telling to keep up with inflation! The same story told today, another zero is added.

To make things even more confusing, when the supposed big loser is alive and commenting, his side of the story is usually a lot different!

Hu

Old
  (#37)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-13-2019, 07:50 PM

billy incardone could comment on artie

he knows plenty and is fun to read

Old
  (#38)
usakr
AzB Silver Member
usakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond reputeusakr has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
Then we will have to play a set of spelling bee and a set of 1p.

Tiebreaker, something fair...like bicycle!
bicycle!!!! That's the word I missed in my 5th grade spelling bee. If I would have got it right I would have been school champion. Needless to say I ended up school alternate.
I was so excited they gave me that word for the win that I spit out bis then it hit me that I said s instead of c and proceeded to spew out random letters.
Very traumatic.

Old
  (#39)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchez View Post
He didn’t play Artie in his prime. He played Artie about a decade ago —- well beyond his prime (whatever that was). Unfortunately there wasn’t much record keeping back in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Barely any in the 90s. I’ve been around pool since the mid to late 80s. Never heard of Artie and very little of Freddie for that matter. They have stories of who they beat but no one really knows. All I know is the only one pocket players that were talked about from Chicago from my early years around pool were Bugs, The Dasher....you could also include Jeff Carter. Bugs obviously being the cream of the crop.
Well, Bugs and Artie played all the time. Freddy and Bugs were buddies. Hell, Freddy raised the money to bury Bugs. That's how Freddy rolled. If you needed something, he'd help you out. And Artie beat Bugs regularly. Bugs spotted Artie a ball, not that it made a difference, but Artie never wanted it be known that he beat bugs "even"... just bad for action But, if you were from the area, did you know Tommy Spencer, Bill Incardona, Cannonball, Mark Jarvis, Luis Campos, Billy Smith (AKA as Mr. 3 Cushion) There is a long list. If you didn't know all them, i'm thinking you were not as tight as you thought in the pool scene. The guys that played and gambled knew, there is no way they didn't. Mark Jarvis turned pro for awhile. Still plays at DCC in banks. Strickland to Varner to Efren have been to the North Shore. I went off to college and left the pool scene for about 15 years.

and by the 80's, Artie was gone to Vegas to make his millions. But, anyone in the pool world knew both Artie and Freddy in Chicago. Nobody came through Chicago to gamble didn't stop at the North Shore. it was open 24 hours a day and had cash poker games going on in the office. Plus, carom tables, snooker tables and even high action Pinochle games. My old man could not hold his own with local great players, but in Pinochle, nobody could touch him.

And for Freddy, growing up with him, even sometimes I was not sure about his stories to be honest. I mean, he had a story for everything, claimed he knew everyone, etc.

So, about 15 years ago, I'm at DCC for the first time. Freddy had a booth there selling his new book. So, I thought I'd hang and chit chat with him as I had not seen him in a few years. I kid you not, everyone and anyone stopped by to say hi. Pro after pro, hustler after hustler, even the Italian trick shot artist Mr. Pelinga stopped by. Then Efren stops by, and he's wearing one of Freddy's shirts.

I was speechless. He does know everyone. If I had half a brain I would have gotten 3 dozen or more autographs that day, but I was too happy getting to meet everyone. From that day on I never doubted him again, about anything. Sometimes folks with the most stories just did the most stuff

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 08-14-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Old
  (#40)
mr3cushion
Regestered User
mr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
The story that got back to me is Artie would only play on one table.

He was far from a "road player".

Freddy was his friend, and with his politics he advanced him for the HOF. Did he deserve it? I don't know, but is probably the least known and least traveled of all of the HOF players.

Ken
Your first sentence is completely not true!

Artie was such a good undercover player, no one and even his closest friends, Freddy, myself didn't know when and how he did on the road! He'd always say, "I broke about even!" What really happened is he broke everyone he played!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
"Good Shooting & Good Billiards"
http://mr3cushion.com/

Old
  (#41)
mr3cushion
Regestered User
mr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond reputemr3cushion has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdoner View Post
Although i stopped playing in 12-65 until relocating from CHI in 76 (military, job, life and other sundry bs) to the woderful metropolis of memphis i stayed somewhat abreast of the pool scene and can't recall Artie booking many, if any, losers.

That said i also can't recall any reports of him getting into the pit with monsters such as Shorty, Worst,Cook, etc......not to say he did or didn't

RJ, do you recall him playing "Champions" ?
He played Shorty a race to 30 for 5K at Bensingers in 1970. He beat Shorty 30-5!

He beat Jersey Red in 68, Red gave Artie 10-8 and Red got ALL the breaks!

He beat Gene Nagey playing straight pool, Nick Varner wouldn't quit playing Artie for $300 a game because he was learning so much from him! His father begged him to quit! Robbed Jimmy Reid, He played Bugs his entire life, 9-8. The only reason Artie took the 9-8, and didn't play even is not to give up all the same spots Bugs did on the Southside of Chicago!

I'd really like to know where the people that NEVER seen him play get their info!

In the 60's and 70's, if a road player came to Chicago to play ANY game on the green felt we had it covered at Bensingers! If they came with a big smile and bank roll they'd leave without both!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-14-2019 at 07:31 AM.

Old
  (#42)
mr3cushion
Regestered User

08-14-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Ya that Don McCaughy in Iowa couldnt play 1p either because most never heard of him. All around Dallas W.,gambling still take Artie.
Artie played Dallas West, Straight pool, Artie got and won at 125-100, Artie played him 3 cushion even and robbed Dallas! DW wouldn't play 1P at any game with Artie! Artie really hated 9 ball! He always said, "How smart do you have to be, to know you have to shoot the 4 after the 3!"

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited by mr3cushion; 08-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Old
  (#43)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Anybody know the years Artie owned Bensingers?
...I played there briefly when I was a kid....didnít know anybody till after I left.

....it was one floor in the basement by then...canít remember the address.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#44)
mr3cushion
Regestered User

08-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Anybody know the years Artie owned Bensingers?
...I played there briefly when I was a kid....didnít know anybody till after I left.

....it was one floor in the basement by then...canít remember the address.
Artie owned it in 70,71, the lease ran out. He sold it to Bob Segal owner of Howard & Palina Billiards. Clark Diversey Billiards (Bensingers) was at the intersections of, Clark, Diversey and Broadway, they opened New Years day 1960.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Old
  (#45)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr3cushion View Post
Artie owned it in 70,71, the lease ran out. He sold it to Bob Segal owner of Howard & Palina Billiards. Clark Diversey Billiards (Bensingers) was at the intersections of, Clark, Diversey and Broadway, they opened New Years day 1960.
Thanx, Billy....I guess I never seen Artie then.

I wouldíve loved to see the original Bensingers...the room Tevis called Benningtonís in
his book.......five floors...with the billiard floor on top.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Page 3 of 11 123 45 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: