Cue balance

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I have this old green label mali wrapless African Mahogany butt.

The shaft was warped when I bought it and I tried straightening it for about a year and gave up.
The cue sat in the corner for years and I had never hit a ball with it.

All of the woods I have used in the past are heavier woods .

My plan is to redo this cue the way I want to, not to original and I already know this old mali just is not worth it .
I will never get my money back out of this cue and my time is a free be and looking more for the experience and to bring this old Mali Back to life.

This is kind of out of my experience because I have never worked with wood used in a cue that is so lite.

It had a 5/16 x 18 brass pin I am switching it to a 3/8x10 SS pin

With the butt of the cue striped no pin , no collars, no weight bolt Does have the but cap on but I am going to machine some of it off and I am going all deer and elk antler ferrule collars and butt cap.
Right now the cue weighs about 9.4 oz.
The weight bolt 1/4x 2 wood screw that is not included in the 9.4 weight couldn't of made any difference .....

I have the cue stripped ( removed the finish ) slight roll in one piece but removed 030 on the retaper .

My target weight if 19 oz and it would be nice if the weight and balance point is a little bit adjustable.

I would like the balance point at 19 to 20 inches from the bumper end of the butt.
The 3/8 x 10 pin will weigh about a 1oz

I can do a 1/2 weight bolt system and be able to drill and tap about 10 inches .

The weight bolt will be about 6 long to make up I figure to make up 5 oz worth a of weight needed .
I think the new shaft will come out to be around 3.8 to 4.0

I have had insane thoughts of drilling the joint pin a few inches deeper and putting a weight bolt in there and maybe cutting the cue close to where the top of the wrap would be and putting in weights there .

What is the best way ?

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The shaft was warped when I bought it and I tried straightening it for about a year and gave up.

My plan is to redo this cue the way I want to, not to original and I already know this old mali just is not worth it .
I will never get my money back out of this cue and my time is a free be and looking more for the experience and to bring this old Mali Back to life.

This is kind of out of my experience because I have never worked with wood used in a cue that is so lite.

With the butt of the cue striped no pin , no collars, no weight bolt Does have the but cap on but I am going to machine some of it off and I am going all deer and elk antler ferrule collars and butt cap.
The weight bolt 1/4x 2 wood screw that is not included in the 9.4 weight couldn't of made any difference .....

I have the cue stripped ( removed the finish ) slight roll in one piece but removed 030 on the retaper .

My target weight if 19 oz and it would be nice if the weight and balance point is a little bit adjustable.

I would like the balance point at 19 to 20 inches from the bumper end of the butt.

I can do a 1/2 weight bolt system and be able to drill and tap about 10 inches .

The weight bolt will be about 6 long to make up I figure to make up 5 oz worth a of weight needed .

I have had insane thoughts of drilling the joint pin a few inches deeper and putting a weight bolt in there and maybe cutting the cue close to where the top of the wrap would be and putting in weights there .

What is the best way ?

What I think is one of the best ways, if you have the equipment, is to drill the bolt hole deeper and thread it then use a 3/8 set crew type screw. This will you to play with the balance a little by screwing the set screw in and out.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The best way is a secret.
No risk of buzzing like what has already been suggested.
It will come to you if you think and look hard enough.

JC

Coos Cues
How about buying 3/8-10 in rod form and just make a longer joint pin?

Where can a person buy this other than the billiard suppliers? Are cues the only application for the thread so it's made just for us?
JC

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where can a person buy this other than the billiard suppliers? Are cues the only application for the thread so it's made just for us?
JC

The only 3/8-10 I've ever heard of, other than cues, is Acme threads. I assume that the threaded rod is rolled. Once you make the dies, it doesn't cost anymore to make than any other thread so it's not really as big of a deal as you might initially think.

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuefits sells a 3/8-10 die, if you feel like making your own.
You will need a lathe with a collet chuck to hold the work piece secure though..

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Cuefits sells a 3/8-10 die, if you feel like making your own.
You will need a lathe with a collet chuck to hold the work piece secure though..

Would you really want a 6" long joint screw?
Tapping that deep of a hole dead straight would be a real challenge.
And that thing would be susceptible to buzzing.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not that you'd want to sell something like this, but is there a reason you couldn't just fill it with #12 lead shot/epoxy mixture and plug it at the same time? Since he's switching to 3/8, the plug will get bored away anyway. Would that still buzz? Anyhow, just curious.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Not that you'd want to sell something like this, but is there a reason you couldn't just fill it with #12 lead shot/epoxy mixture and plug it at the same time? Since he's switching to 3/8, the plug will get bored away anyway. Would that still buzz? Anyhow, just curious.

All I can say is, do a mock-up and do your tests .
Stick it in the trunk of your car for a few days .
See what happens.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe not quite that deep.
How about plugging the hole with a heavier wood like ebony and installing a longer than usual joint pin.
As long as the threads are nice and tight, the chance of the epoxy cracking and cause a buzzing sound would'nt be any higher than a normal joint pin install would it?

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you actually suggesting people do some R&D work. Oh, your not nice. Lmao....just kiddin

Already started...I happen to have a bag of #12 shot here that I use as a beater bag when I'm doing fret work. I'm not going to ruin a cue to do it, though. I'm just building an extension. Good opportunity to practice installing that 3/8-10 pin with a shoulder that I just got, and I wouldn't mind having an extension anyhow....who cares if it ends up rattling.

Incidentally, here's a funny mistake: my mother happened to be over playing with the grandkids, and she came into the shop to see what I was up to. I got so distracted that I proceeded to install one in a shaft I was finishing up. Doh! Looks like I'll get some practice installing phenolic inserts too. :embarrassed2:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is the best way ?

Well 'cored' cues are all the rage - core it with something heavy, Wenge is about as dense
as ebony and costs about 1/8 as much.

Dale

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I guess I was worried over nothing

Been waiting for the stain to dry
I found out what all thread I have is 3/8x 11 and I am out of the 3/8 x 10 ss all thread .

I went ahead and drilled and taped for the 3/8 x 10 for the joint pin
And drilled and tapped a 9.5 inch half inch hole in the butt for weight bolt and put in four half in set screws for weight bolt .

I screwed the shaft on and without joint collars and butt cap and bumper and without a finish the total cue weight is 17.4.

I am thinking the elk antler butt cap and joint collars and finish will equal 2.0oz .

Right now my balance point is eighteen and a quarter inches and I have room to change the balance .

I am happy so far with the results, thanks everyone .

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cored cues

Well 'cored' cues are all the rage - core it with something heavy, Wenge is about as dense
as ebony and costs about 1/8 as much.

Dale

Hi Dale .
Little embarrassed , I have made a hand full of cues , some of those cues are jump cues and because I don't really know what I am doing I have been using BEM with purple heart handles because its the best and most inexpensive materials I have.
Haven't really faced balance issues or weight .yet

The exotic wood I have , I have had for about 8 years and It was bought from other cue makers going out of business so allot of it has been drying for 10 to 17 years .
If that makes any difference ?

I don't plan on making allot of cues, but I do want them to last for decades.
So what ever that takes , if I have to core cues so be it .

Are cored cues the best ?