I don't even know what to say...

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
A couple days ago I get in a OLD,pre-SST Cuetec shaft for a simple tip replacement.

After initially cleaning the scratched up/dirty ferrule,I found a disturbing round ring on the side of the ferrule,so I called the owner of the poolroom that sent me the job to contact the owner to see what he wanted me to do before I went any further.

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking a picture of it right then.

Anyway,the owner which had already paid me for the tip refused a 20.00 upcharge for a proper ferrule replacement based on the cost ,so I went ahead and just put the tip on as requested.

This is what he got back. This was as good as it could have been without replacement.

Under strong magnification,it looks like one of the following 3 things caused it.

It might have been a molded-in defect maybe?

It also looks like maybe someone drilled a hole in the side,then filled it with a slightly smaller piece of the same material and epoxy because it looks like a translucent,consistent gap in between the 2 white materials that just got chalk down in it at some point.

Or,maybe someone ran a hardened steel set screw into the side of it,like trying to clamp it in a v-block?

Any ideas? Tommy D.

Attachments

• Ferrule 2112.jpg
    Ferrule 2112.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 661
  • Ferrule 1212.jpg
    Ferrule 1212.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
In my haste to get some input,I forgot to post the pics of the finished product,LOL. Tommy D.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the bright side the round mark could be used to aim with. If you don't want to see it, just rotate the cue.:thumbup:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Does it go all the way thru or only on one side? It could be someone's way to keep a ferrule from coming off by drilling and inserting a rod so it 'locks' it on.... could be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.
Dave

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in about 07 I did a ferrule replacement on a cue. It had a plastic pin of the ferrule material right through, and then finished on the od. It was only apparent when the old ferrule was turned off. It was non threaded and the glue used looked to be aliphatic yellow wood glue.
Neil

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first thought was an aiming device. I've seen ferrules with lines etched into them for this purpose.

I can see how the bridgehead theory makes sense too. I see no need to replace the ferrule just because of this circle. If the customer is happy with it... who cares? It was there before you touched it.

Also, is that just the picture, or is the ferrule tapered?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The bridgehead possibility is one I hadn't thought of,that makes sense.

Yes,the ferrule was indeed tapered a bit,maybe .020 smaller out front,but it was like that when I got it. It also had a couple small,dirt-packed cracks in it that no amount of sanding would hide. This is why I offered to replace it.

The mark was only on one side,so it wasn't drilled thru.

He took it back and has already called the owner of the poolroom and raved about the tip I put on,so oh well... :cool:. Tommy D.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about cue making but I can tell you that a set screw could almost certainly not make that mark. A set screw on a round shaft will leave two small arcs at the contact point. To me it looks like the joint is pinned. It has the classic look of a poorly drilled hole filled and glued with a plug. A drill will generally make a triangular hole with a shape very similar to the rotor in a Wankel engine unless everything is held tightly and your speeds/feeds are correct. If you look closely, you can just make out the three lobes of the triangle. Anyhow, that would be my guess.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That mark is from the injection molding to make this ferrule, if it is plastic.

The old Brunswick black and white ferrules have this same mark if you turn them down too far.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I don't know much about cue making but I can tell you that a set screw could almost certainly not make that mark. A set screw on a round shaft will leave two small arcs at the contact point. To me it looks like the joint is pinned. It has the classic look of a poorly drilled hole filled and glued with a plug. A drill will generally make a triangular hole with a shape very similar to the rotor in a Wankel engine unless everything is held tightly and your speeds/feeds are correct. If you look closely, you can just make out the three lobes of the triangle. Anyhow, that would be my guess.

Ditto...what he said. Thought that from the start.
dave

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Your phoograhgy

A couple days ago I get in a OLD,pre-SST Cuetec shaft for a simple tip replacement.

After initially cleaning the scratched up/dirty ferrule,I found a disturbing round ring on the side of the ferrule,so I called the owner of the poolroom that sent me the job to contact the owner to see what he wanted me to do before I went any further.

I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not taking a picture of it right then.

Anyway,the owner which had already paid me for the tip refused a 20.00 upcharge for a proper ferrule replacement based on the cost ,so I went ahead and just put the tip on as requested.

This is what he got back. This was as good as it could have been without replacement.

Under strong magnification,it looks like one of the following 3 things caused it.

It might have been a molded-in defect maybe?

It also looks like maybe someone drilled a hole in the side,then filled it with a slightly smaller piece of the same material and epoxy because it looks like a translucent,consistent gap in between the 2 white materials that just got chalk down in it at some point.

Or,maybe someone ran a hardened steel set screw into the side of it,like trying to clamp it in a v-block?

Any ideas? Tommy D.

Just think you could be a highly qualified for a opening for big foot photographer position.:grinning-moose: