Trouble drawing the ball?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

I'm not saying that you "are a troll" so, dont take the following personally because you, like others on here may end up being one of the "goto" people for help at some point. You never know....time will tell.

Your question is prime for argument starting.....lol....bait, bait... again, I'm sure that's not the case but, it's still funny to read some of the advice.

Now, lol......AZB:

I cant believe most of the advice given in this thread. Lol....I'm not saying it was bad advice, I am saying it was "wasted" advice due to the fact it was given to a "complete newb".

We all preach FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS.....on and on and on.....

Well, someone that is a PRIME CANDIDATE to develop great fundamentals comes on asking about lol....drawing a ball....LOLLOLOLOL.....

Do we (AZB) set him towards working on his fundamentals......feet, arm, shoulders, head positions, how to approach the ball, how low to get or not get, SET / PAUSE ...etc..etc...etc.....

NOPE.....we try to TELL him how low to hit the ball....etc...etc....

OMG.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

I'm not saying that you "are a troll" so, dont take the following personally because you, like others on here may end up being one of the "goto" people for help at some point. You never know....time will tell.

Your question is prime for argument starting.....lol....bait, bait... again, I'm sure that's not the case but, it's still funny to read some of the advice.

Now, lol......AZB:

I cant believe most of the advice given in this thread. Lol....I'm not saying it was bad advice, I am saying it was "wasted" advice due to the fact it was given to a "complete newb".

We all preach FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS.....on and on and on.....

Well, someone that is a PRIME CANDIDATE to develop great fundamentals comes on asking about lol....drawing a ball....LOLLOLOLOL.....

Do we (AZB) set him towards working on his fundamentals......feet, arm, shoulders, head positions, how to approach the ball, how low to get or not get, SET / PAUSE ...etc..etc...etc.....

OMG.
All I said was loosen your grip and don’t practice to the point of burning out.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

OMG.
Actually, you haven't tried to tell him anything - except that everybody else is wrong.

pj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

Now, lol......AZB:

OMG.

He’s doing the Tor’s stroke drill. If he’s doing that, he probably learned that from a Zero-X Biggest Secrets DVD which covers those fundamentals visually better than we will be able to communicate through text. So it would be a bit redundant. Plus, he asked a specific question. Might as well give the relevant answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
He’s doing the Tor’s stroke drill. If he’s doing that, he probably learned that from a Zero-X Biggest Secrets DVD which covers those fundamentals visually better than we will be able to communicate through text. So it would be a bit redundant. Plus, he asked a specific question. Might as well give the relevant answer.
For those wanting or needing to work on and improve fundamentals, lots of good resources dealing with each important area can be found here:

fundamentals resource page

online pool fundamentals tutorial

Enjoy,
Dave

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you haven't tried to tell him anything - except that everybody else is wrong.

pj
chgo

PJ, how can you say fundamentals are wrong? That's what your saying in a nutshell.....without saying it.

Look, I've been playing, like some for a few years, I can / do beat 8, 9, 10 ball ghost regular. I have a very good 14.1 average.....yada...yadda....yadda

But, you know what I would be told if I said i was having problems with "x" part of my game?

Lolol......yep.....work on some part of my "fundamentals"....

So, why in the hell would we tell someone that says they've never played to do ANYTHING BUT fundamentals?

Search through YOUR POST......lol....you have, countless times....told very experienced players to go back to what????

Lol.... yep, FUNDAMENTALS.

BTW, I didn't say everyone was wrong, I said it was wasted...lol

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I understand but, sometimes 'we" have no clue what we need so, we just ask "a" question hoping to get help which is fine, heck I've done the same in the past.

I'm glad you understand what and why I said what I said.

Lol...say ^^^^^10 times real fast...

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Good news and bad news for you Bryce. The good news is that you are headed in the right direction to learn how to play this game. The bad news is that you need to hit about a MILLION balls to become reasonably proficient at it. Pool is no simple game that can be masteted by reading a few books, watching some DVD's and practicing an hour or so a couple of times a week.

ALL the good players have put years into developing their games, and they continue to learn and improve constantly. Yes, even players like Shane are looking for ways to draw the ball better and be better players!

Good luck in your quest!

I'm not a good player, but been playing for a long time. I learn something new almost every time I play. Tried a shot the other night I didn't think I could pull off, and managed to keep the run out going. Amazing for a simple game the things you don't know.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ, how can you say fundamentals are wrong? That's what your saying in a nutshell.....without saying it.

Look, I've been playing, like some for a few years, I can / do beat 8, 9, 10 ball ghost regular. I have a very good 14.1 average.....yada...yadda....yadda

But, you know what I would be told if I said i was having problems with "x" part of my game?

Lolol......yep.....work on some part of my "fundamentals"....

So, why in the hell would we tell someone that says they've never played to do ANYTHING BUT fundamentals?

Search through YOUR POST......lol....you have, countless times....told very experienced players to go back to what????

Lol.... yep, FUNDAMENTALS.

BTW, I didn't say everyone was wrong, I said it was wasted...lol
OP asked for help with drawing the ball, so who are we to redirect and answer a question that he didn’t ask?

why not just try and help him with his request?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
She should be starting out with low speed, short distance draw shots anyway. It'll teach her that draw isn't about power.

Try using a striped ball to show where she needs to hit (near the lower edge of the horizontal stripe) vs. where she actually hits (check chalk marks afterward). I bet you'll both be surprised how scattered her "shot grouping" is - and this is the fundamental problem.

I doubt you'll have much luck until she stops moving her elbow.

pj

chgo

Yeah, I tried to demonstrate to her that a person can draw a long way without hitting the ball hard.

The striped ball is a good idea for visual effect. I was showing her how low that I could hit the cueball without miscuing, but many times she just started to scoop under the ball.

You're right. I don't think much of anything will work until I can get her to stop dropping her elbow though.

_______

Bryce1552

Registered
Thank you everyone who has chimed in so far, I appreciate all the feedback and I finally got a chance to upload some video's excuse the quality I C-clamped my phone to a pool cue but I tried to provide good angles for evaluating my stroke.

I was shocked to see how different what I thought I was doing to what I was doing when I looked at it from an outside perspective was. one thing I notice for sure is I need to STAY DOWN after taking the shot and follow through definitely comes up short at times.

There's a LOT to work on and a mountain of information it feels at times but I'm only a few baby steps into my learning experience so I'm open to any and all feedback. I was unable to get my footwork into the shot unfortunately and I made some pretty dumb miss or two and some miscues where it almost seemed like my stroke scooped the ball.

The first video im just shooting balls into the far pockets as per tor lowrys drill and just trying to focus on the feel of my stroke/stance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08g-QX7dqoY

The second video is me practicing my draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrea4qoA04

The third is me from a second angle attempting more draw shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64PsGnOeLc

I'm reaching out during my early stages in hopes to avoid what everyone seems to reference in my reading so far that starting off with bad habits can cost you thousands of hours down the road. I enjoy learning and I enjoy improving my intentions are just to be a good student of the game and improve over time nothing more than that.

Any feedback is welcome on ANYTHING you see in the video and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for drills or other practice techniques

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any feedback is welcome on ANYTHING you see in the video and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for drills or other practice techniques
The second video has a broken link. Here is one that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrea4qoA04

On your draw shots, if you want significant draw you will have to hit the shots at least twice as hard. That is why I recommended the up-and-down-the-table drill to make the cue ball go four lengths. You can also practice more speed with the straight-into-the-pocket shots.

On every shot you need to step back from the table and do a complete approach. You are still learning the approach and you shouldn't skip over it by shooting from the same position without even moving your feet.

I think it is better to set up shorter shots to practice draw so you don't have to worry as much about aiming. Make sure you have a little angle so the cue ball does not run back into you, but that only takes a little angle.

If you have a nearby instructor, I suggest you schedule a lesson soon. Suggestions on fundamentals should only take an hour or two and can save you a lot of time learning on your own. With any instructor (or book, or video, or website), you will have to figure out what works for you and whether there is chaff to discard. If the instructor is any good, you should see marked improvement during the lesson considering your current level.

Good luck.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
General practice technique: start with a shot that you can do well and gradually increase the difficulty. "Progressive Practice" is a way to design exercises to do that automatically and adjust the shot difficulty to your current level.

Bryce1552

Registered
The second video has a broken link. Here is one that works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrea4qoA04

On your draw shots, if you want significant draw you will have to hit the shots at least twice as hard. That is why I recommended the up-and-down-the-table drill to make the cue ball go four lengths. You can also practice more speed with the straight-into-the-pocket shots.

On every shot you need to step back from the table and do a complete approach. You are still learning the approach and you shouldn't skip over it by shooting from the same position without even moving your feet.

I think it is better to set up shorter shots to practice draw so you don't have to worry as much about aiming. Make sure you have a little angle so the cue ball does not run back into you, but that only takes a little angle.

If you have a nearby instructor, I suggest you schedule a lesson soon. Suggestions on fundamentals should only take an hour or two and can save you a lot of time learning on your own. With any instructor (or book, or video, or website), you will have to figure out what works for you and whether there is chaff to discard. If the instructor is any good, you should see marked improvement during the lesson considering your current level.

Good luck.

Thank's a lot I'm going to work on getting that 4 length power down this weekend. I'll also try working on approaching each time as you suggested. I'm looking in the near future to get some lessons from Mark Wilson once I can afford to set aside the funds. Just finished the basement and bought the pool table so a little tapped out for the next month.

I'll try setting up each time as suggested as well because at times I get down and I'm still checking everything and making adjustments I'm really not in that stage where I can just fall into my stance yet. thanks. for all the advice Bob.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you everyone who has chimed in so far, I appreciate all the feedback and I finally got a chance to upload some video's excuse the quality I C-clamped my phone to a pool cue but I tried to provide good angles for evaluating my stroke.

I was shocked to see how different what I thought I was doing to what I was doing when I looked at it from an outside perspective was. one thing I notice for sure is I need to STAY DOWN after taking the shot and follow through definitely comes up short at times.

There's a LOT to work on and a mountain of information it feels at times but I'm only a few baby steps into my learning experience so I'm open to any and all feedback. I was unable to get my footwork into the shot unfortunately and I made some pretty dumb miss or two and some miscues where it almost seemed like my stroke scooped the ball.

The first video im just shooting balls into the far pockets as per tor lowrys drill and just trying to focus on the feel of my stroke/stance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08g-QX7dqoY

The second video is me practicing my draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmrea4qoA04

The third is me from a second angle attempting more draw shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64PsGnOeLc

I'm reaching out during my early stages in hopes to avoid what everyone seems to reference in my reading so far that starting off with bad habits can cost you thousands of hours down the road. I enjoy learning and I enjoy improving my intentions are just to be a good student of the game and improve over time nothing more than that.

Since you were willing to put yourself out there, I thought I’d do the same and share advice/feedback with my own video, knowing that opens myself up to a lot of criticism on my own fundamentals. So be it, this is for you.

I’ll also preface that I’m considered a strong C player (nearing B). There are lots of strong B, strong A, and semi-pro players on this forum. So take my advice with that in mind.

LAST COMMENT: I only watched video 1 (in full) and 3 (in full). Video 2 had a broken link before I started recording.

https://youtu.be/Hdrm6rAWeDM

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heres what I see.
Slide the hand that swings the cue forward about two inches.
Widen your feet a bit so you can bend lower over the shot
(this should put your cue on a more level plane)
Slow backswing, pause, accelerate smoothly through the ball like your trying to hit the object ball with the tip( figuratively).
Keep in mind I'm no coach, just some schmuck who loves pool.
Drill for draw. Place the cueball and object ball about 6in. to a foot apart in the middle of the table. Scratch in one side, object ball in the other. Make it harder as you get better at it.
Wishing you good luck!

Edit- go into the youtube wormhole of Barry Stark.
Good info there

Last edited:

Bryce1552

Registered
Since you were willing to put yourself out there, I thought I’d do the same and share advice/feedback with my own video, knowing that opens myself up to a lot of criticism on my own fundamentals. So be it, this is for you.

I’ll also preface that I’m considered a strong C player (nearing B). There are lots of strong B, strong A, and semi-pro players on this forum. So take my advice with that in mind.

LAST COMMENT: I only watched video 1 (in full) and 3 (in full). Video 2 had a broken link before I started recording.

https://youtu.be/Hdrm6rAWeDM

Wow thank you for taking the time to make a video in response I really appreciate that. I really think a big thing for me is my practicing is really at the "pocket speed" as you put it and I think I'm going to take a step back and really work on committing to the shot more when just using center ball over the weekend and get my speed up.

I think that's a big thing I'm lacking and you touched on another point that contributes to that is I'm too far back on the stick on a lot of shots and not quite hitting that apex as I make contact. as of right now I really only have 3 speeds tapping a ball, "pocket speed" as you put it and the worlds sloppiest attempt at break speed. It seems all the things im trying to train into myself fall apart once I try to put my speed on the ball so that's something I definitely want to commit to working on for the next week.

Thank's again for the feedback actually seeing and hearing the sounds of your hits on the draw shots helped me understand is its definitely going to take some more speed control to progress on this.

Bryce1552

Registered
Heres what I see.
Slide the hand that swings the cue forward about two inches.
Widen your feet a bit so you can bend lower over the shot
(this should put your cue on a more level plane)
Slow backswing, pause, accelerate smoothly through the ball like your trying to hit the object ball with the tip( figuratively).
Keep in mind I'm no coach, just some schmuck who loves pool.
Drill for draw. Place the cueball and object ball about 6in. to a foot apart in the middle of the table. Scratch in one side, object ball in the other. Make it harder as you get better at it.
Wishing you good luck!

Edit- go into the youtube wormhole of Barry Stark.
Good info there

"Slide the hand that swings the cue forward about two inches."
that seems to to similar to what matt hit on I believe thats keeping me from hitting at the power I intend so I'm going to work on that for sure.

also I'm going to take you recommendation for a drill and use it as I think pretty much everyone noted a full or 3/4 table shot and then drawing back a half a table is a pretty ridiculous benchmark I've set for myself as a beginner so I'm going to start small when I get back to draw after spending a few days working on my speed control primarily.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You look tall....How tall are you?

Here is what I see:

1. I don't like the way you line up the shot With Your cue. Your hand is so far in front of your hips, then you take huge steps forward With both legs and end up too close to the table.

RECOMENDED FIX:
I'd rather see you keep your cue hand on your hip. Walk towards the shot line and plant your right foot on the shot line, then step out and forward With Your left foot. Slightly wider than shoulder Width apart and With the heel of the left foot as far forward as the toes on your right. YOU MUST NOT MOVE YOUR RIGHT FOOT AFTER THIS! You may have to do this With the cuetip some distance away from the cue ball, otherwise you'll end up to close, like you do now. You''ll figure this distance out. You can still keep the cue tip on the line,

You then slide forward into the shot With Your bridge hand. It's important to slide the bridgehand into position, don't just put it Down. Give yourself every chance to get it on the shot line. Another way to achieve this is to put your cue in front of your face With the bridgehand on the cue and then go down, watching the cue and the shotline. Even if you don't do any of these Things, at least pay careful attention to the placement of the bridgehand.

The weight should be slightly forward when you're down. It's ok to bend both your legs, especially since you seem like a tall fellow, or if I'm mistaken in assuming you're tall, it still feels more comfortable for some to do that. In snooker we like to keep the right leg straight and braced, but the table bed is higher off the ground on these tables. You may want to look up 4 point contact. I recommend videos by Barry Stark.

2. Your cue hand is behind perpendicular to the ground at the moment you strike Your cueball. This is very bad. This will rob you of both Power and Precision. But this all stems from your error in stepping in. Once you get the distance to the table right, it should be easy to fix this. Even if you don't listen to anything else I say, at least make sure to adjust your stance a bit to make this happen. It's near impossible to play a good game With the hand behind perpendicular, and you'll especially struggle With Draw shots. Your cue will dip, causing you to scoop the ball.

3. What I like:
You take Your time, which is good.
You stay quite still on the shot, especially for a beginner.
You are smart not to put too much Power into the shot too soon. Please do not try to run before you can walk. The Power will come naturally, once you learn to relax your arm and let the cue do the work. That may seem abstract now, but you'll understand what I mean with time.

4. All in all, this isn't too bad, but the stance (and if not that AT LEAST THE CUE HANDS POSITION) does need an urgent fix. If you don't believe me, find a competent instructor near you, I'm sure there is someone qualified. If there are none, or you don't have the money for it, watch the Barry stark lesson videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRD10tybtIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHBTw9K-qfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4LkJLVr6s&t=1230s

Last edited: