Harris Cues Meltdown on Eddie Wheat Proportions

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me the biggest issue is any misrepresentation that may have occurred by Sly or Diviney. Sure other cue makers have helpers but we expect it to be overseen by the named cuemaker and for it to be completed by the named cuemaker so that the cue represents their brand/name and is consistent with work quality and playability. I don't believe production cues fall into the same category since we understand they are mass produced.
I ordered a cue from Paul Drexler once and was wanting him to build me an ebony titlist. Paul explained he could convert an older titlist or have John Davis build a blank that he could then finish. I didn't realize it at the time but in comparison this was a very upstanding response because he was clear about the process and allowed me to make an informed decision. Had Paul not told me about using a blank from John, then I would have felt misinformed. Worse if Paul had told me he would build me the current and then used another's blank, I would have also felt that he misrepresented his work to me. Ultimately we are paying quite a bit of money for cues built by these makers and we certainly should be informed if they are using blanks from other cue makers.

I don't think there is anything wrong with cue makers using blanks or materials from other makers as long as they explain it to their customers. It is common within our industry but as a customer I would like to be informed about it so I can make the final decision. I have been fortunate that Paul Drexler and Jim Baxter have both been honest about suggesting previously made blanks for cues that I had been considering.

If Sly or Diveney have had Robert Harris build blanks or cues for them, then they should simply state the level of work that was done, be transparent with future customers, and move on with their cue building. They clearly are doing some high level work and have a strong following. I don't see any reason why this should derail their business unless they get defensive and try to defend their right to not disclose significant cue construction decisions to the customer.

I hope everyone moves through this mess as honorably as possible. The current makers involved and named are talented folks and hopefully will offer many more excellent cues in the future.

Really great advice, at least in my opinion. In the event I was ever to make cues to sale, I will follow this advice. Never really given much thought to it all until HawaiianEye made a thread a few weeks ago about a similar topic.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
57F3B918-277D-4992-AB27-772E40D9DEEB.jpeg

Paua shell, a fine Maori thing.........-:cool:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This it’s such a great community where we can help each other out. So I think we should investigate and see if we can pull up some pictures and investigate more

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Thats a fancy lookin l or s
Ita looka lika.......

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-15-15-14-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-15-15-14-05.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 417

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder why most the heat has fallen on Sly, when another builder was mentioned as well, I guess "drunk" was the smart response to the allegations.

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I missing something here? For years I've read where famous hall of fame cue makers have used other cue makers components in their cues. I recently saw a Tascarella with a Davis blank, I've seen Scruggs Cue with Davis Blanks, I've seen Balabuska cues with spain blanks, and the list could go on, hell there are hundreds of Titlest blank cue from almost everyone, so why all the uproar? Maybe, and I say maybe because frankly I don't know, but why dose it matter. If you order a cue from Sly and you receive what you ordered and are happy with it what difference does it make.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Am I missing something here? For years I've read where famous hall of fame cue makers have used other cue makers components in their cues. I recently saw a Tascarella with a Davis blank, I've seen Scruggs Cue with Davis Blanks, I've seen Balabuska cues with spain blanks, and the list could go on, hell there are hundreds of Titlest blank cue from almost everyone, so why all the uproar? Maybe, and I say maybe because frankly I don't know, but why dose it matter. If you order a cue from Sly and you receive what you ordered and are happy with it what difference does it make.

You are missing something

The allegation is harris made cues for sly and leon slapped his logo on it

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6292495&postcount=17

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
For some reason when it was posted on open billiards market discussion forum
It didnt catch near the amount of fire or interest that it does here

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I wonder why most the heat has fallen on Sly, when another builder was mentioned as well, I guess "drunk" was the smart response to the allegations.

Saw that myself. The allegations for that cue builder was that he purchased components, such as mitered windows; not full cues. I guess it's the lesser of two evils. I added him to my list of "never buy"; but that's just me.

Josh

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was never liked on this site from day one but I didn't let it bother me I took on cue making back in early 2000 as my primary job to feed my family pay my bills and pay taxes on the product that I sell. All I can say to those who View who believe Robert Harris built all my cues you really need to pull the wool back over and up above your eyes because if you continue to follow me on Facebook "sly custom cues you will see pretty daily of the cues that I am working on Q's in progress cue parts that are built by me for my cues and so on this is my last post here on azbilliards. Attention!! mr. Wilson or any moderators that may read this may I ask you please to delete my azbilliards account this is my last post on this site.
I would like to thank the ones that have supported me over the years on this site I also met a lot of very nice people on this site but I no longer want to be a part of the AZ community please delete my account thanks.

Haven't been back since eh?