absolutely most difficult shot on a pool table?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, the most difficult shot is the same for everyone:

The shot that means the most to you.......

minh2015

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does it have to be executed legally?

If so, maybe put the cue ball deep in the jaws of the pocket (as suggested), so it's all but falling in the hole. Then put the 9 ball right up next to it with just enough of a hair line gap that it is technically 'not frozen'.

Now he can't shoot through the ball, and if he elevates and doesn't double hit the shot he can't avoid the scratch. It would be essentially impossible to hit an elevated stop shot so precise it doesn't wiggle backwards, while having enough speed to send the object ball multiple rails (I'd aim it for a point on the opposite rail that would lead nowhere).

Of course if the rules allow him to push through the ball as long as he's 45 degrees then that wouldn't work. But if it's being played with rules preventing a double hit and requiring him to either shoot away or not push through the shot, I believe this would be the nuts.

I thinking of a jump cue for this shot

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In place of Jason Shaw I would have a prime Buddy Hall and set up a routine combo and tell him all he has to do is make it to win the Challenge of Champions.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thinking of a jump cue for this shot

I set it up and shot it for what seemed like an hour but made it.

I was not able to use full cue. Jump cue worked but it took WWWAAAYYY to many tries and energy to even think about doing it again.

I didn't plan on spending that much time on the shot....lol... but:

I set it up....shoot....miss...set it up again....miss...repeat....repeat....repeat. Next thing I know, about an hour has passed.

Wish I had that hour and all that energy back. That shot will never come up.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be with cb deep in center of pocket and ob frozen to it, in a way cb couldn't exit location with a legal stroke?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shoot the shot described in the post above yours. Bet you can't make it in a 1000.
Hurts my head thinking about it. It would take a miracle masse draw on the level of Semih Sayginer imo.
Or maybe a 2 rail reverse bank into the opposite side pocket.
Good luck.

I will try it. Just hitting the 9ball is half the shot. Slopping it in somewhere is the other half. It'll take a few tries to figure out how to hit it. After that, when you're hitting it every time, the odds of slopping it in are pretty good.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will try it. Just hitting the 9ball is half the shot. Slopping it in somewhere is the other half. It'll take a few tries to figure out how to hit it. After that, when you're hitting it every time, the odds of slopping it in are pretty good.
I think Pat Johnson already showed several ways it can be made using Virtual Pool. Or were you thinking of a different shot?

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't it be with cb deep in center of pocket and ob frozen to it, in a way cb couldn't exit location with a legal stroke?

Frozen ball you can stroke through. Bob Jewett suggested a similar shot but "one thousandth of an inch" apart. This one could not be hit legally in a way that would pocket the ball so I think we have a winner

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frozen ball you can stroke through. Bob Jewett suggested a similar shot but "one thousandth of an inch" apart. This one could not be hit legally in a way that would pocket the ball so I think we have a winner

Damn that Bob.

(I have now read the posts before mine :embarrassed2:)

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is easy

CB right at the edge of the side pocket

OB frozen to the CB facing the direction of the opposite side pocket.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Does it have to be executed legally?

If so, maybe put the cue ball deep in the jaws of the pocket (as suggested), so it's all but falling in the hole. Then put the 9 ball right up next to it with just enough of a hair line gap that it is technically 'not frozen'.

Now he can't shoot through the ball, and if he elevates and doesn't double hit the shot he can't avoid the scratch. It would be essentially impossible to hit an elevated stop shot so precise it doesn't wiggle backwards, while having enough speed to send the object ball multiple rails (I'd aim it for a point on the opposite rail that would lead nowhere).

Of course if the rules allow him to push through the ball as long as he's 45 degrees then that wouldn't work. But if it's being played with rules preventing a double hit and requiring him to either shoot away or not push through the shot, I believe this would be the nuts.

Very creative Tin Man. I think I see it, I'm not sure I totally understand the set up. Can you post an image to confirm. A drawing will work, nothing fancy.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the most difficult setup would be with the OB frozen awkwardly to the point of the side pocket so it can't be made directly into any of the pockets on that long rail.

View attachment 516935

Even then, given 1,000 tries...

View attachment 516936

pj
chgo

What about striking that first rail above the side pocket, loading the cb up with top inside to go two rails into the 9?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Pat Johnson already showed several ways it can be made using Virtual Pool. Or were you thinking of a different shot?

I saw those options. Was just saying that if you can consistently hit the 9, you are bound to slop/luck it in eventually. Could happen in a few tries, or might take a hundred+ tries. Luck works that way....definitely not something I'd bet against. Lol

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the most difficult setup would be with the OB frozen awkwardly to the point of the side pocket so it can't be made directly into any of the pockets on that long rail.

View attachment 516935

Even then, given 1,000 tries...

View attachment 516936

pj
chgo

I feel like with the right masse off the first rail you may be able to cut the ball down the long rail.

wjiEDRW.png

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is easy

CB right at the edge of the side pocket

OB frozen to the CB facing the direction of the opposite side pocket.
I don't get it? If they are frozen, you can just fire through the CB and pocket the OB in the opposite side pocket it is aimed for - aiming off of dead-on just enough to avoid scratching the CB in the side pocket directly behind the OB.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get it? If they are frozen, you can just fire through the CB and pocket the OB in the opposite side pocket it is aimed for - aiming off of dead-on just enough to avoid scratching the CB in the side pocket directly behind the OB.

I wasn’t aware you could push through like that

In that case put a small gap between the balls so you have to shoot with an elevated cue.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I feel like with the right masse off the first rail you may be able to cut the ball down the long rail.

wjiEDRW.png

I think the idea was that the object ball is frozen slightly around the point of the side pocket so it is corner hooked for that corner pocket. If you play the masse to hit the ball, I think you have to hit the other side of the side pocket. I suppose the ball could go off the other point of the side pocket to the opposite corner.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

wjiEDRW.png
As Bob correctly pointed out, the 1 ball is purposely "frozen awkwardly to the point of the side pocket so it can't be made directly into any of the pockets on that long rail". That's why the closeup pic of the 1 ball (and why I said that).

By the way, two of the banks (into the top right corner and the lower left corner) are kissback shots - and all of them have to be hit HARD.

pj
chgo

P.S. That CB path also doesn't seem likely to me with the extreme spin you'd need for that masse.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What about striking that first rail above the side pocket, loading the cb up with top inside to go two rails into the 9?
If you mean to cut it into the bottom left corner, like sneakynito suggested, see Bob's and my explanations about that.

If you mean driving the 1 ball through the frozen point into the side pocket, that might be feasible with a REALLY HARD shot (probably too hard with inside) - and I don't know if that 2-rail path to the 1 ball is even possible without inside.

pj
chgo

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
If you mean to cut it into the bottom left corner, like sneakynito suggested, see Bob's and my explanations about that.

If you mean driving the 1 ball through the frozen point into the side pocket, that might be feasible with a REALLY HARD shot (probably too hard with inside) - and I don't know if that 2-rail path to the 1 ball is even possible without inside.

pj
chgo

There's really no probable shot with this setup. I mean, it's basically a "hit and hope" shot. So I'd wiz 2 rails into the 9 until I lucked it in. Like an old buddy of mine used to say, "You gotta hit em to shit em." It'll go in somewhere eventually. Now, Bob's thousandth of an inch between cb and ob...that one is super tough.