phenolic tip ban?

dragdime

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i may have missed this in a past post.............is the phenolic tip ban rumor on break cues true and when does this go in effect. i play many different tours and tourneys and was just wondering. will this rule effect jump cues too?

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
In the BCA league that I play in it went into effect at the beginning of this session. I went ahead and replaced the phenolic tip I had with a Tiger jump/break leather tip.

As far as I know, it's just the BCA that has done this. Apparently the phenolic tips can damage the cue ball.

- Jump Cues are not effected by the ban -

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
I have talked to 3 diff. league operators in Mich. they are not enforcing it, at state and national level look out...................

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I think

the BCA shot themselves in the foot with this one. It will be extremely hard to police at the national tournament level.

g10 tips should have been looked at before phenolic tips. And I don't think phenolic tips damage the cue ball anyway.

It seems to me, that there should be 'Scientific evidence' before the BCA goes off and makes a ruling like they did.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the BCA shot themselves in the foot with this one. It will be extremely hard to police at the national tournament level.

g10 tips should have been looked at before phenolic tips. And I don't think phenolic tips damage the cue ball anyway.It seems to me, that there should be 'Scientific evidence' before the BCA goes off and makes a ruling like they did.

I'm not so sure about them not damaging the cue ball. I have been using an aramith measel ball for some time now. I have been noticing that when it rolls real slow, it wobbles a little bit. I had been using phenolic and white diamond tips to break and a small amount of jumping. I don't see this with the regular white cue ball. Of course, it would be a lot easier to spot with the red dots on the measel ball. Just my opinion.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
In the next few weeks you will be hearing that Russia has banned all phenolic tips and will prosecute. Up to 3 months in jail and 4,000,000 roobles ($5.00) fine.

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
North Alabama . . .

BCA not enforcing here . . . YET. I bought some white diamond tips just in case.

Hey . . . it is gonna be a boon for the cue builders and repair guys. I talked to my cue guy Saturday and he said he's been taking the phenolic tips flat and installing hard leather tips on break cues at a steady pace for the last several weeks.

It'll probably fade after while and we'll be right back to using phenolic or some other "miracle" material after while . . . I broke with a house cue all night long Tuesday - did surprisingly good with it. Hey . . . anybody wanna buy a nice, gently used phenolic break cue .. . .. ???

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah...really tough! :rolleyes: Maybe if the ref is DEAF! LOL A phenolic tip sounds VERY different, than a leather tip. Oh, and btw...it's NOT the BCA, it's the BCAPL...and it's THEIR tournament. They can set any rules they want to. Don't like it?...Don't play! :boring2:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Jerry Forsyth

This is not a new rule. The following has been in the Specifications section of the BCA Rule Book for as long as I remember:

"The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed."

It has been there since before Phenolic tips came into popularity. And while it does not mention phenolic specifically it uses two words (fibrous, pliable) that, in this context, would not be expected to be used to describe phenolic. To me it seems to decree a material whose texture and 'feel' are similar to leather. The spec has just not often been enforced before. There is a lot of conversation in the industry that it may be time to update and enforce the specifications. The situation with scarred or cracked cue balls is drawing a lot of attention at the moment.

Quite a few people think we need a 'measuring device' such as a durometer at every event with a number that the tip cannot exceed. Well, last I checked, durometers aren't real cheap. And they can be used incorrectly and give bad results. We used them in the printing industry to measure the hardness of printing blankets and two pressman on the same blanket would get two different results.

How about this? Leave it to the discretion of the Tournament Director? Every TD knows when a tip that he inspects is made to obey the spirit of the description or designed to skirt the edges and get over on the spec. Let them decide. No one who presents a true leather tip will have a problem, only those attempting to 'lawyer' the rule. Simple. I like simple.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry...tap, tap, tap!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

This is not a new rule. The following has been in the Specifications section of the BCA Rule Book for as long as I remember:

"The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed."

It has been there since before Phenolic tips came into popularity. And while it does not mention phenolic specifically it uses two words (fibrous, pliable) that, in this context, would not be expected to be used to describe phenolic. To me it seems to decree a material whose texture and 'feel' are similar to leather. The spec has just not often been enforced before. There is a lot of conversation in the industry that it may be time to update and enforce the specifications. The situation with scarred or cracked cue balls is drawing a lot of attention at the moment.

Quite a few people think we need a 'measuring device' such as a durometer at every event with a number that the tip cannot exceed. Well, last I checked, durometers aren't real cheap. And they can be used incorrectly and give bad results. We used them in the printing industry to measure the hardness of printing blankets and two pressman on the same blanket would get two different results.

How about this? Leave it to the discretion of the Tournament Director? Every TD knows when a tip that he inspects is made to obey the spirit of the description or designed to skirt the edges and get over on the spec. Let them decide. No one who presents a true leather tip will have a problem, only those attempting to 'lawyer' the rule. Simple. I like simple.