Help buying a beginner cue?

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my limit has gone up to $175. Anything worth buying in that price range rather than $100. Ozone has a lucasi that I like. Are they better than the others I was looking at?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

irockash

Registered
Well my limit has gone up to $175. Anything worth buying in that price range rather than $100. Ozone has a lucasi that I like. Are they better than the others I was looking at?

Which Lucasi were you looking at? I just got an LD2 and love it, while I've also used a Lucasi Sneaky Pete (L2000SP or something) and both feel really good for the price. Check with member "neilhin" I've found better prices with him (http://cuemart.com) on Lucasi than any other site.

Trent

Banned
not trying to be a dick here but i sent you pics and a description of a older custom i took back in on trade and offered it to you for 150 shipped (60% off) since that was your budget, it was byfar the best deal you could have gotton a highly figured piece of birdseye with a linnen wrap to the buttplate and a nice curly maple shaft. i think if you were really trying to by somehting you would have done it already.

basically just buy a cue chances are youll get another in 6 months and if this is your first you probably have zero prefrence on how a cue should play so..... be like Nike and JUST DO IT.

by the way i sld the cue i offered you for 300 locally.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which Lucasi were you looking at? I just got an LD2 and love it, while I've also used a Lucasi Sneaky Pete (L2000SP or something) and both feel really good for the price. Check with member "neilhin" I've found better prices with him (http://cuemart.com) on Lucasi than any other site.
I'll check that. The one I found is the lucasi LEL.

@ Trent:
Thanks for your offer, and I would've been more interested in it if I had the money in my pocket right now. I'm not getting paid until next week. Also, I kinda wanna buy from a store with a return policy, just in case its damaged in shipping or something. Nothing against you, just over cautious I guess.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Frankly, the best cue in that range would be a sneaky pete. I would just look for a sneakiest pete. . .I forget who list's them on here.

I would get an 18 - 19 oz, 12.5 - 13mm tip and then play the heck out of it. After you beat everybody you know, it will be time to upgrade to something you really have your eye on. . .or not. Frankly, you will play best with one cue and that is really all you should be striving for is having one cue. BTW, I would break with it also!

Oh yea, and when you wear the first tip off, change to a Triumph.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frankly, the best cue in that range would be a sneaky pete. I would just look for a sneakiest pete. . .I forget who list's them on here.

I would get an 18 - 19 oz, 12.5 - 13mm tip and then play the heck out of it. After you beat everybody you know, it will be time to upgrade to something you really have your eye on. . .or not. Frankly, you will play best with one cue and that is really all you should be striving for is having one cue. BTW, I would break with it also!

Oh yea, and when you wear the first tip off, change to a Triumph.

Idk, Im just not a fan of sneaky petes. I'm not overly worried with style, but I at least want something that doesn't look like a house cue. Plus I already beat everyone I know. Not bragging, they're just not very good. Most of the regular players at the bar I go to are a little better than me. Thanks for the info too. I've always heard its better to have a seperate cue for breaking.

carter1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• FUNR23comp.jpg
    FUNR23comp.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 633

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool, thanks. I've looked at some fury cues, but haven't heard much about them so I didn't know what to think.

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, one last question on this thread. I think I've decided on either a Viking G02 or a Shmelke SP series. I like that I can get one customized from billiardwarehouse.com. Either one more highly recommended over the other?

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I finally made my purchase. Thanks for all your suggestions. I ordered a Mcdermott M91p from billiards.com for $160 with a free hard oval case. From what I read it's a USA made cue, 2009 limited edition and they still had some in stock. No inlays or anything, but some nice traditional looking black overlays on a brown/cherry stain and a black wrap and some rings. You think the standard triangle tip will be hard to get used to?

uploadfromtaptalk1319602284726.jpg

bjones72751

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not aimed at most of you, just a few people that made my first experience here kind of a downer. I'm thankful for all the advice I got here, but I really hate it when people are rude for no good reason. But seriously, thank you to the people who provided kind, useful information.