Please return the Tascarella

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Looks like pillory is a noun, rather than a verb. Would have better to say subject the recipient to the pillory. Just an observation. This is far from past plu perfect, by the way.

All the best,
WW

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Looks like pillory is a noun, rather than a verb. Would have better to say subject the recipient to the pillory. Just an observation. This is far from past plu perfect, by the way.

All the best,
WW

It is both a noun and a verb.

Lou used it correctly and should not be subject to such pillory.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It is both a noun and a verb.

Lou used it correctly and should not be subject to such pillory.

I'm afraid not. As a verb, it would have to be pilloried, or pillorying. Pillory is only a noun.

All the best,
WW

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I'm afraid not. As a verb, it would have to be pilloried, or pillorying. Pillory is only a noun.

All the best,
WW

If you say so. But if it's all the same to you, I'll trust Merriam-Webster, Oxford and Miss Joy, my smokin' hot high school English teacher.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If you say so. But if it's all the same to you, I'll trust Merriam-Webster, Oxford and Miss Joy, my smokin' hot high school English teacher.

I do say so. No hard feelings, but some here should refer to this thing called the dictionary. I suspect very few here have, or have appreciated the encyclopedia.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pillory?s=t

Anyhow, it's but a mute point, a particle of sagacity. It reminds me of the old story of a Texas guy going to Harvard. The Texas guy asks a guy, "Hey, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The Harvard student replies, "Sir, this is Harvard. We do not end a sentence with a preposition."

The Texas guy replies, "OK, can you tell me where the library is at, asshole?"

I had smokin' hot high school teachers too. Fortunately one was the French teacher, and I spoke French well. The other was Shakespeare. Hotter, but harder to please...

All the best, for correct grammar,
WW

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do say so. No hard feelings, but some here should refer to this thing called the dictionary.

Isn't Merriam Webster a dictionary? I am not an English major, but having stayed at a holiday inn last night, and reading the definition in a couple of dictonaries right now, in my uneducated opinion Jimmy is clearly right.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do say so. No hard feelings, but some here should refer to this thing called the dictionary. I suspect very few here have, or have appreciated the encyclopedia.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pillory?s=t

Anyhow, it's but a mute point, a particle of sagacity.
WW

I enjoy it when people are argumentative about English, then get MUTE POINT wrong...Moot point is the phrase you are looking for. For every finger you point, 4 are pointing back...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Since everyone likes to correct everybody else in the name of grammar,

Its MOOT point, not mute point. :thumbup:

I know. I intentionally used mute as a bad pun, because that's been the misuse all along. Nice try.

All the best,
WW

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JhagmeP.jpg

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Class dismissed...

Webster Dictionary(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:

Pillorize(verb)

to set in, or punish with, the pillory; to pillory

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Webster Dictionary(0.00 / 0 votes)Rate this definition:

Pillorize(verb)

to set in, or punish with, the pillory; to pillory

Some modern uses, yes. But not how it was initially used in this thread.

C is gnashing his teeth, wondering how he can strike...

All the best,
WW