Pre-Stance Routine ... A New Approach

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is very wrong. With enough practice it can look extremely natural, but a step-wise approach to getting into stance accurately and consistently, as Dr. Dave outlines in the video, should be a very intentional and conscious part of a player's technique until an effective process is so ingrained it happens without conscious thought.
I don't have any conscious thoughts while I am doing this. I do all of my thinking much earlier in my pre-shot routine. At this point, I am just focusing on my aim and alignment with a clear mind.

Even then, habits can drift over time, and intentional tuneups are a necessary part of continued development in the game, and each tuneup will require making the process conscious (forcing it) for a time.
Well stated. I agree.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave isn't properly aligned. His shoulder is out to the side and his elbow not behind his head. The elbow behind the head is an important tool to ensure consistency on long shots, or indeed any shot that needs accurate cueing. In snooker, the chest and chin will also support the cue, thus making the cue go absolutely straight.
To get my shoulder over my cue, I need to close my stance and add significant neck and body twist and/or should pull-back and lift. I can't do these things for a long period of time without physical issues (tightness, cramping, etc.). I have purposely evolved my stance and alignment into the current configuration, and I do not agree that it is improper. As long as the forearm is vertical and the cue moves in a straight line during the stroke, and one's personal "vision center" is also over the cue, I think the stance is very proper. I don't think the shoulder location is important unless one moves the shoulder and drops the elbow significantly; and even then, it is not a problem as long as the elbow drops straight down.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great info, Doc!
Thanks.

Your stance should enable you to comfortably "freeze" in place until the shot is made or missed, and the cue ball comes to a complete stop. Once I was able to complete that exercise easily, my game jumped several balls. I was truly SOLID.
I need to work on this more. Being impatient by nature doesn't help. That's one reason I've had to add things to my routine to slow myself down.

For me, the shorter the distance between the cue ball and object ball, the higher the stance. The LONGER the shot (distance between cue ball and object ball), the lower I go.
I do this at times too (mostly out of laziness), but I agree that the benefits of a low stance are not really required with a short/easy shot. However, it is probably best to do the same routine on every shot to give every shot respect (even the "easy" ones, that are sometimes missed).

Regards,
Dave

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I would pay good money to look like that when down on a shot.

I don't know if you're making some kind of joke here? But in case you aren't, you don't need to pay anybody anything. All you need is a camera or a big mirror by the table, whatever is more convenient. You can use your dining room table in the beginning, and a big mirror. Doesn't matter. You can used that to copy Dr. Daves style or the orthodox snooker style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwXV6jTU9E
Just do what he says. If you can't keep the back leg straight and get down to the table, bend it but bend the front leg slightly more. This will turn your body to the right/or left (depending on if you're left or right handed). If you're right handed, the left leg is the front leg, and your body will turn towards the right. This turning action will bring your elbow behind your head, and your chest and chin over the cue. Use Barrys guidelines as to foot distance, and work from there. You'll soon learn (using the mirror or a camera) how to adjust the stance to your body type.

If you can't bend over much at all, it's still possible to stay in line by adopting a more sidways stance, like Buddy Hall. You won't have as much sideways stability, but you'll be more on line, which is more important. You can't do as much of a turn at the hip at a high stance, so you'll have to sacrifice some of the stability you get from a square on stance. Use the mirror for this, too, until you find the perfect line up for you.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I in no way am trying to knock or critique Dr. Dave or his fundamentals, and I am not an expert in fundamentals, just read a few books on the topic and mostly from the world of snooker.

The picture you posted looks much more correct in terms of what I understand the stance should look like.
attachment.php

I have always tried to implement what you mentioned, and that may be more difficult for Dr. Dave being a tall gentleman.

Naturally, before ever working on my stance, it looked something like Dave's before implementing a more inline technique(accomplished through a more traditional snooker stance with my back leg locked which seems to rotate my shoulders more into the shot getting everything inline as you mentioned).

Stephen Hendry and Steve Davis were both taller guys 6'1'' & 6'2", do you mind if I ask how tall you are Dave?
StephenHendry-Banner.jpg

vUY2Lnr.jpg
Thank you for posting the info and photos. I used to stand and align more like this "textbook ideal," but it honestly hurts my neck just looking at these photos. For somebody tall like me to get down that low (which I do) and have my face square to the shot (which I prefer), with the "textbook" or "orthodox" stance, causes me much discomfort and makes my neck stiff over time. That's why I had to change. Pool should not be unpleasant.

FYI, my other stance video covers pool vs. snooker stance differences and how to find one's personal best pool stance. Check it out. Among many topics it covers, it explains why my shoulder being off to the side is not an issue. Here it is:

NV J.21 – How to Find the Perfect Pool/Snooker/Billiards Stance

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you once again Dr. Dave. Needed that reinforcement. I have been adjusting and making some changes to my stance as well as PSR since my neck injury ( broke C3 vertebrae in 2010 ) mysteriously put me off the table ( C3,4,5,6 disc issues) from late July until October and have had to make adjustments in order to play again.

I have been concentrating more on properly getting aligned standing back off table on my aiming line on OB and then walking into, dropping in squared with body/stance where I am comfortable without too much pain. Much like your 'new' PSR but I need to work hard on keeping my eyes on OB throughout stroke.

At first It felt a bit awkward but am getting a bit more comfortable and I am gaining confidence and it's starting to flow more freely.

Have a good day:thumbup:

-Kat,
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you are finding things that work for you. That's what it is all about ... finding your personal best PSR, stance, stroke, etc. ... regardless of what other players do or what books might say.

Regards,
Dave

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mini snooker fact:

For all the precision mechanics involved, they insist on using sticks with that invasive taper. Obviously they get snooker to work but really...

Just sayin'...

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once again, a great video Dr. Dave. Your videos have content that can benefit players of all skills and that is no easy feat.

Watching it one time thru, it reminded me of 3 principles that I need to keep in mind during my shot.

Everyone’s stance, stroke and vision center are unique to them. It is hard to find instruction that applies to the masses. You always seem to keep it specific but general enough to apply to all.

To introduce instruction to the masses will always have critics. Job well done and thanks for your contributions to pool.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Mini snooker fact:

For all the precision mechanics involved, they insist on using sticks with that invasive taper. Obviously they get snooker to work but really...

Just sayin'...

Those chip butty eating chaps are insane with the open bridge though so it’s not as invasive for that style.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,

Thank you for the validation. Old age demands change. Wider stance and bent knees get me closer to the stick. Nicklaus likes a little waggle, too.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once again, a great video Dr. Dave. Your videos have content that can benefit players of all skills and that is no easy feat.

Watching it one time thru, it reminded me of 3 principles that I need to keep in mind during my shot.

Everyone’s stance, stroke and vision center are unique to them. It is hard to find instruction that applies to the masses. You always seem to keep it specific but general enough to apply to all.

To introduce instruction to the masses will always have critics. Job well done and thanks for your contributions to pool.
Thank you for the supportive comments.

I appreciate it,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave,

Thank you for the validation. Old age demands change. Wider stance and bent knees get me closer to the stick. Nicklaus likes a little waggle, too.

If golfers do it, why can't pool players do it too? :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for posting the info and photos. I used to stand and align more like this "textbook ideal," but it honestly hurts my neck just looking at these photos. For somebody tall like me to get down that low (which I do) and have my face square to the shot (which I prefer), with the "textbook" or "orthodox" stance causes me much discomfort and makes my neck stiff over time. That's why I had to change. Pool should not be unpleasant.

FYI, my other stance video covers pool vs. snooker stance differences and how to find one's personal best pool stance. Check it out. Among many topics it covers, it explains why my shoulder being off to the side is not an issue. Here it is:

NV J.21 – How to Find the Perfect Pool/Snooker/Billiards Stance

Regards,
Dave

I am getting older and find it less comfortable to get into the "textbook ideal" as well, I have been playing around with a bit more of an upright stance and trying some different techniques. At the end of the day, a person has to be comfortable at the table.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like your new approach is to plant your feet first, then lower your body, rather than moving into it while getting down, all in one motion. It makes sense, because you’re not doing two things at once.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
It looks like your new approach is to plant your feet first, then lower your body, rather than moving into it while getting down, all in one motion. It makes sense, because you’re not doing two things at once.
Bingo ... with the feet placement being more accurate and consistent. Also, take more time "aiming and aligning while standing," and do so closer to the table with a higher look, where you can see the angles better. All good stuff.

Regards,
Dave