Palmer? I defer to the experts..

OldManOfTheSea

Registered
Hello all,

Check out this cue being advertised as a Palmer. When I asked the guy where it says Palmer on the cue, his response was "It's not signed and the gentleman I got it from bought it 50 years ago from a reputable cue dealer. The inlay and the way it's built is consistent. It's numbered 724".
I looked high and low over at palmercollector.com and don't see anything that looks like this. Also, I didn't think Palmers were numbered. Thoughts?

OldManOfTheSea

Attachments

• P1.jpg
    P1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 365
  • P2.jpg
    P2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 361

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No its not a Palmer....0 chance.

Joint looks like old Brunswick, but IMO, its a junk stick worth less that $10.

Ken

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm afraid not. Either a department store or a cheap Asian import. The only thing that looks remotely like a Palmer is the joint collars.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
That plastic has been (hilariously) described as "Mother of Toilet Seat"

One of my favorite cue expressions

Fun thing to tinker with, not to resell though ��

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There were cue dealers in 1970?

There sure were. Bought my first cue from Ed Sharp, a cue dealer who also owned the Golden Cue, in Bladensburg, Maryland, probably started in the 60s.

I think he dealt mostly with Palmer, but I suspect he could get his hands on others if you wanted.

All the best,
WW

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also bought my first Palmer from a pool hall, as many people did and as some do today, but that scenario differs from what we today know as cue dealers.

There sure were. Bought my first cue from Ed Sharp, a cue dealer who also owned the Golden Cue, in Bladensburg, Maryland, probably started in the 60s.

I think he dealt mostly with Palmer, but I suspect he could get his hands on others if you wanted.

All the best,
WW

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brunswick made by Schmelke shipped to Japan and finished by Adam cues. bout 1970.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Brunswick made by Schmelke shipped to Japan and finished by Adam cues. bout 1970.

Ha ha, I knew I would like it when Jayman came out of hiding.

I'm going with Jay on this one. Brunswick by Schmelke and no Dean jokes please, they were new at the time.

"Mother of toilet seat" still laughing about that.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I would also say that Schmelke is likely. The black band on the end of the shaft is odd? Maybe a joint protector? I have seen those cues now and then and others have had the same band.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59469

Here's a thread from a while back - better pics:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=59469

If you look at post #8, Pizza Bob somehow knew a ton about the 1970's Asian cue market. I met Bob and couldn't believe his knowledge.

The other thing is the Taiwanese makers later ended up copying both Schmelke and Adam parts - usually nowhere near the quality, but they can look OK in photos.

Last edited: