Funny story I thought y'all might like

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the club yesterday just brushing up on my 9 ball game when I noticed a group of 3 guys playing 8 ball but one of them seemed to be sitting out for long periods (I guess he wasn't shooting well) anyway, I racked up 9 ball proceeded to crush the rack and runout which got the guys attention.

Next I racked up 15 ball rotation again crushed the rack and ran 13 of the 15 balls now this REALLY has the guys attention so finally I rack 1 final game of 9 bal and snap the 9 in off the break, by this time all three of them are looking at me so I said "anyone fancy a quick game of 8 ball".

The fear on their faces was priceless you could actually see them swallowing hard and desperately wanting back peddle as one of them spoke up stuttering and stammering "eh, no you're alright".

Its the funniest thing i've seen in years.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Eh... I guess.. If frightening neophytes with mad skilz is yer thang....

Myself, I'd rather frighten experienced players with my mad skilz. But first, I have to get the mad skilz. :D

Russ

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
RunoutalloverU said:
Ill play you on a 9 foot table with 4 inch pockets, ill give you the eight, for 500 race to 10.

I'm thinking RunoutalloverU would have to be the favorite, against "anonymous player who shows off around people he knows will not play him".

Generally, players with accomplishments feel no need to lord their high skill level over lesser players. :D

Russ

Russ Chewning

Silver Member
9 ball said:
so finally I rack 1 final game of 9 bal and snap the 9 in off the break, by this time all three of them are looking at me so I said "anyone fancy a quick game of 8 ball".

One last thing.. Did you mention to them that the 9 ball usually only goes in when you give yourself a bad rack? No? Before you swell up too much in your awesomeness, you should fully inform your "audience". :D

You would not have known they were watching if you had been paying full attention to your practice. People who "play to the crowd" are often the prime targets for road players. Road players know that a great player will have learned humility by getting beat down at numerous times in his career. So, the road player correctly identifies you as a player who plays well when there is no pressure, but likely craps himself if someone runs a two-pack on him.

Sorry, bro. That's just the way I see it. Just keep your head down and follow through. Match up with decent players, and don't try to club baby seals. Play against good players more, and you'll realize anyone can be beat, no matter how good they are. A good sense of humility will allow you to try your very hardest on every shot.

Russ

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
Road players know that a great player will have learned humility by getting beat down at numerous times in his career. So, the road player correctly identifies you as a player who plays well when there is no pressure, but likely craps himself if someone runs a two-pack on him.

Sorry, bro. That's just the way I see it. Just keep your head down and follow through. Match up with decent players, and don't try to club baby seals. Play against good players more, and you'll realize anyone can be beat, no matter how good they are. A good sense of humility will allow you to try your very hardest on every shot.

Russ

Wow, you described me so perfectly.... Have you watched me play??? Well atleast I know better than to play most road players...lol...

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
I'm thinking RunoutalloverU would have to be the favorite, against "anonymous player who shows off around people he knows will not play him".

Generally, players with accomplishments feel no need to lord their high skill level over lesser players. :D

Russ

I couldn't agree more Russ !!!!

That's why I always refer to him as "Runoutalloversomeone".....:D

Russ....

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jaden said:
Wow, you described me so perfectly.... Have you watched me play??? Well atleast I know better than to play most road players...lol...

After reading your post, I'm sure there are many players, road and otherwise, who would love to get to you...

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9 ball said:
I was in the club yesterday just brushing up on my 9 ball game when I noticed a group of 3 guys playing 8 ball but one of them seemed to be sitting out for long periods (I guess he wasn't shooting well) anyway, I racked up 9 ball proceeded to crush the rack and runout which got the guys attention.

Next I racked up 15 ball rotation again crushed the rack and ran 13 of the 15 balls now this REALLY has the guys attention so finally I rack 1 final game of 9 bal and snap the 9 in off the break, by this time all three of them are looking at me so I said "anyone fancy a quick game of 8 ball".

The fear on their faces was priceless you could actually see them swallowing hard and desperately wanting back peddle as one of them spoke up stuttering and stammering "eh, no you're alright".

you playing in a pool hall or bar? and where?

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
They'd have to know who I am...

pwd72s said:
After reading your post, I'm sure there are many players, road and otherwise, who would love to get to you...

The great thing about an internet forum is the anonymity.. THey would have to know who I am to come after me or avoid me, whatever the case may be.

Besides which, I am now married with a wife and a child, so there are no more head games that I have to deal with, I may well be getting over my mental handicap....MY back is acting up right now though so maybe I'm not in tip top....Want 2 play some ten ahead sets? J.K....

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This kind of reminds me of a time I was at Brighton Billiards waiting for a friend, a kid with a southern accent was practicing and broke and ran at least 5 racks of 9 ball on the tight table. Maybe he didn't know I was looking but then he says "Would you like to play a cheap game of 9 ball?" to which I replied "There's nothing cheap about your game." And that's just looking out for my wallet's health since I know nothing of handicapping 9 ball.

On the flip side years later I'm in Brooklyn killing time at Balukas' place waiting for a friend, and I'm just shooting and ask a kid from the table over if he wanted to shoot ( he was with 2 friends) it was funny because I had to make it very clear that I just wanted to shoot for fun since I was bored of shooting alone.

People are just cautious that's all.

Paul

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to have ten out of every hundred that I've won sitting on the sideline waiting for just such a thing. Some pretty good player firing balls in in front of some recreational players. What would the response have been if a guy (which you've not seen hit a ball) asked, "Sure, wanna play a race to seven for a hundred?"

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
9 ball said:

I have never witnessed anyone with a big break and run 1 rack of 9-ball.

You were able to make 13 out of 15 and then only messed up on the last two?.... WOW!!!!

Never seen someone snap a 9-ball before...(That must take a LOT of skill)

Some things that may have been left out of the origonal post...

"I was in the (boys) club yesterday"
"I noticed a group of 3 guys (ages 6,6, and 7) playing 8-ball"

Impressive!!!!:rolleyes: :)

9 ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very funny brknrun but It was only a practise session which I was coming to the end of and the three guys where the same age as me 23, So don't criticise me for recounting something that happened to me at my local pool hall.

You sir are an ignorant moron.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
9 ball said:
Very funny brknrun but It was only a practise session which I was coming to the end of and the three guys where the same age as me 23, So don't criticise me for recounting something that happened to me at my local pool hall.

You sir are an ignorant moron.

Sorry my bad.....I did not realize you were making a serious post...In that case...congratulations....well done...keep up the good work...

The good news is I am not JUST a moron...but and ignorant moron...SWEET!!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Football coach to player: "I can't decide if you're ignorant or apathetic."

Player: "I don't know and I don't care."