Marietta Billiard Club (Atlanta) closed/moving

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too briefly talked to Archer at the DCC. He was super excited about moving his room to another location very close to the original one.

I didn’t ask specifics, but there must be a good business reason:)

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too briefly talked to Archer at the DCC. He was super excited about moving his room to another location very close to the original one.

I didn’t ask specifics, but there must be a good business reason:)

What ever his reasons I hope he does very well, and is able to retire from it.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
runscott...It might have been the last chance for that guy, as he might not have been able to travel...or he couldn't afford another $2000 entry. The 3rd qualifier was in CA, and the last two were in Europe.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott, the reason I thought it was the last qualifier is that the guy Shane beat had barely missed qualifying in the previous one, and I remembered his loss to Shane as being his last chance. My memory is constantly failing me!

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think JA has been a majority owner for awhile. While it was my primary pool hall, and I loved the space between the tables, frankly it has been quite run down. The tables never were cleaned. They pretty much lost all their league (APA/TAP) play to Cues just down the road. Of course, this is needed for $$$. Food was not real good, and they were always out of things. I mean how hard is to keep paper towels in the bathrooms. Frankly, it has been mismanaged for some time.

Within like 10 miles, you had MBC with like 30 tables; Cues with probably 20 plus, and Kennesaw Billiards with another 20? Not to mention Mr. Cues on the other side of town which is massive and well run.

I do hope they open and be profitable. I stayed a loyal customer spending money and tipping well in an effort to do my part to help keep them alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think JA has been a majority owner for awhile. While it was my primary pool hall, and I loved the space between the tables, frankly it has been quite run down. The tables never were cleaned. They pretty much lost all their league (APA/TAP) play to Cues just down the road. Of course, this is needed for $$$. Food was not real good, and they were always out of things. I mean how hard is to keep paper towels in the bathrooms. Frankly, it has been mismanaged for some time.

Within like 10 miles, you had MBC with like 30 tables; Cues with probably 20 plus, and Kennesaw Billiards with another 20? Not to mention Mr. Cues on the other side of town which is massive and well run.

I do hope they open and be profitable. I stayed a loyal customer spending money and tipping well in an effort to do my part to help keep them alive.

I figured they were in trouble a few years ago, when they had some work done on their tables, and instead of using Artemis or even Superspeed cushions, they used Championship cushions, only because they were one of JA's sponsors, so I assume he got a great deal on them.

At the time, I found that kind of strange for a big fancy poolroom like that, owned by a Hall of Fame player, to be cutting corners on something as important as your table's cushions.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It was definitely mismanaged...

I loved it there. Of course the last time I was there was probably 5 or 6 years ago and it was mismanaged then, but it had good food when they weren't out of shit. I loved their hamburger steak with mushrooms...

It also looks like I'll be coming back into town for a week or two here before too long also, so hopefully they will be up by the time I come into town.

Jaden

starmaster

Registered
Sad to say but the interest in pool has gone down in recent years. All the young guys are playing video games. I see a lot of old dudes at pool halls now, I am one of them, Ha, Ha,. Lol Its a shame because I still love the game,, wish more young guys would get into it.

chefdrew

Registered
I just went there a couple of days ago to buy a few things before they totally closed the doors. It was a shame to see the place empty knowing that it was going to be gone forever.

I used to work there back in 2004 - 2006. It was called "The Poolroom" back then and was owned by a man named John. He had that place top notch and was, in my opinion, the only place around that gave Mr Cues II a run for their money as far as rooms go.

That place was packed almost every night with great staff and customers. The food was great and the servers/managers were awesome as well. When John sold it is when things just went down hill. It was some years after I left..I went back to play pool and thought that they had really just let the room & service go way downhill compared to how it was once run.

John always had Mark Gregory take care of the tables, had a cleaning lady come in every morning and really cared about his place. And, at the same time, had a staff that took care of him...more or less.

The new place, with the other owners, excluding Johnny Archer, will reopen right down the road. Johnny Archer, from my understanding, is off in another direction.

Anyway...Good by The Poolroom...you were once a great room!

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when The Poolroom first opened... If memory serves me, the owner hired a carpenter/friend to redo the interior, the wood furnishings and all that good stuff. The place was indeed top notch inside and out.

I guess Atlanta is still lucky that there are still a couple other bustling pool rooms in the metro area.

I just went there a couple of days ago to buy a few things before they totally closed the doors. It was a shame to see the place empty knowing that it was going to be gone forever.

I used to work there back in 2004 - 2006. It was called "The Poolroom" back then and was owned by a man named John. He had that place top notch and was, in my opinion, the only place around that gave Mr Cues II a run for their money as far as rooms go.

That place was packed almost every night with great staff and customers. The food was great and the servers/managers were awesome as well. When John sold it is when things just went down hill. It was some years after I left..I went back to play pool and thought that they had really just let the room & service go way downhill compared to how it was once run.

John always had Mark Gregory take care of the tables, had a cleaning lady come in every morning and really cared about his place. And, at the same time, had a staff that took care of him...more or less.

The new place, with the other owners, excluding Johnny Archer, will reopen right down the road. Johnny Archer, from my understanding, is off in another direction.

Anyway...Good by The Poolroom...you were once a great room!

chefdrew

Registered
I remember when The Poolroom first opened... If memory serves me, the owner hired a carpenter/friend to redo the interior, the wood furnishings and all that good stuff. The place was indeed top notch inside and out.

I guess Atlanta is still lucky that there are still a couple other bustling pool rooms in the metro area.

That's right. His name was Earl. He was slow but awesome! He also did all the work for John's 2nd room that he opened in Duluth GA.