Anyone seen this yet? *The Pool Mate*

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kickstarter (or other popular crowd funding sites) has a pretty decent ratio for successful "funding" of ventures. The ratio for what I've seen for pool products/ideas has been......?
I may have missed it...has anything been funded?

But I do use "Pool Mate" products for swimming pools...no relation apparently

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Jeanette Lee had this in her booth at this year's Super Billiards Expo. To me, this is marketed to the home table buyer.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Interesting and kinda cool, I hope it takes off. I recently made a cue holder that is about three times as big in diameter and it holds 18 cues. Mine revolves and was a PITA to make.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own:) I personally think its not a good idea, and will not get funded. If it does somehow get funded, I don't think it will sell well at all. Nothing wrong with trying though!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each his own:) I personally think its not a good idea, and will not get funded. If it does somehow get funded, I don't think it will sell well at all. Nothing wrong with trying though!

They need to demonstrate how stable it is. On first look it seems like you can just knock your stick over. Not to mention if it did the stick will land on the tip with the butt elevated. I can see a stick snapping in two if it got knocked over. Other then it being mobil I don't see any advantage. To be honest, I would be scared having my cue sticking up like that in a room full of people milling around.

The goal of $20,000 doesn't seem like enough. Their patent pending is not worth anything, Patent Pending as such does not protect an invention until the actual patent is published and/or issued. they will never get a patent on a thing like that. It's a piece of wood with a hole in it. Also you can't claim patent pending unless you have actually applied for a patent, have they? That cost a lot and I don't see it in the budget they show. Sounds fly by night. A weak product, no money and probably no market.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well thats not completely true...,

They need to demonstrate how stable it is.

, Patent Pending as such does not protect an invention until the actual patent is published and/or issued. they will never get a patent on a thing like that. It's a piece of wood with a hole in it. Also you can't claim patent pending unless you have actually applied for a patent, have they? .

Patent Pending does protect your right to profits from competitors if the patent is granted and their design is deemed similar.

As far as it never getting a patent because ''its a piece of wood with a hole in it''. There are both design and function patents, so there might be an opportunity to patent the product based on its function.

I wish them the best of luck!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only Holding 1 stick is ridiculous. Most players have 2 or 3 cues and friends.
http://www.ozonebilliards.com/cueracks.html

That's what I was going to say, one cue is a bit silly, if you don't have a break/jump cue or one of those $5-10 portable holders you will not be looking to spend over $100 on a single cue holder even if it's made out of pretty materials. Now if they made one that was larger for maybe 4 cues that held it that way, that would be neat looking, a bit like a cue tree.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kickstarter (or other popular crowd funding sites) has a pretty decent ratio for successful "funding" of ventures. The ratio for what I've seen for pool products/ideas has been......?
I may have missed it...has anything been funded?

But I do use "Pool Mate" products for swimming pools...no relation apparently

There was a neat looking children's boot that I think was on Kickstarter that was funded pretty well. There is a post a while back by the person that did it.

Not really a "product" though, but was made by someone that had a nice idea relating to pool.

Curt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you carry it to the pool room, the bar, the club? If it's not internally weighted then I don't feel it will be stable enough for those environments. Maybe OK for home use if cost is inline. I like the looks of it but I like wood in general

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- MSRP is ridiculous
- Will eventually wear the finish on your cue
- Too large for only holding one cue

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure it's the best idea.

It might be okay in a home room situation as long as the cue receptacle is nicely lined with a soft material that won't harm the cue. I'd still be concerned with it being so low and open all the time though, dirt and dust could get in there and eventually cause scratching.

The big issue though, it's just way to expensive. I can't imagine who is going to spend $200 to hold one cue upright on the floor. At a $50 retail price I think it could have some potential, but not at $200.

I don't think the cue tipping over would be an issue, as long as it's properly weighted it would likely be a pretty stable way to hold a cue.

When it comes down to it though, I think I'd rather have a goo medium height table/ledge with a Q-Claw on it to lean my sticks against.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 8 Ball cue holder in the ones below I like more.

http://www.cuepower.co.uk/accessories-cue-racks-c-18_26.html

However, I really don't like either, as I can just see cues falling over in these things. The base would have to be pretty heavy to any good stability.

Yep, like that but made out of something better like what that Pool Mate thing is made out of . https://www.cuepower.co.uk/8-ball-s...k-p-639.html?zenid=n2m16s3o5cgkpinb2h0pll43p4

For a $100 or $150 if it's made out of good quality with a metal plate for balance, that would be an OK product. Will at least look different than the regular wall or stand rack.