What is the deal with these Cues - see ad on Ebay ?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I think Ebay is going to be the best deal on these "rare" and "vintage" cues.
You can't blame a guy for trying to make a buck but he doesn't need to
embellish his description to the point of being ridiculous.
Typical Ebay bullshit

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
"Butt is made of Ivorine"

What exactly does that mean? I think they must have meant butt cap.

Maniac

Last edited:

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you still in the market for cues?

Thought you just got a Dale Perry.

No I just seen the ad and thought it was crazy and thought you guy's might get a laugh out of it. I have not got to hit with my dale cue yet but plan to this week , This virus sucks man every table is down I play on :mad:

I am sure that the quality is probably very cheap (you get what you pay for), but the cues might not hit too bad.

I played with a super cheap cue from the Philippines once, and I think it retailed for maybe around a $100, and the cue actually felt and hit really nice.

I imagine that Boriz is just trying to imitate some of those popular designs, like the The Color of Money Joss cue design, but I am sure that the actual cue is not going to look much like the authentic Joss cue.

These actual pics of Boriz cues give you an idea of the kind of quality that you will get with one.

https://www.borizcustomsportsjersey...-Cue-Stick-Classic-Style-p/cue-2018-ab-99.htm

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inlaid tips are hard to come by :) Also my favorite part about the COM cue is the turquoise - so i'mglad they didn't skimp on that part.

2 shafts also! Dang.......

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Inlaid tips are hard to come by :) Also my favorite part about the COM cue is the turquoise - so i'mglad they didn't skimp on that part.

2 shafts also! Dang.......

Gonna put them fancy pants cue builders out of bizness.

ldmitchell

Registered
Boriz cue

I was curious about the Boriz cues and purchased one.
You do get what you pay for!
The finish was rough with dings and sanding marks. The wrap seemed cheap, fuzzy and not pressed. One of the white inlays is misshapen. The shafts seem pretty nice, the diameter is large, The tips are incredibly hard.
I decided to sand and refinish the cue. As I sanded, the black veneer began to disappear!
I guess it was skillfully put on with a marker. I touched it up with a marker but not as well as Boriz did.
After finishing, I installed an Irish linen wrap.
All in all, it is an interesting $199 cue.

Attachments

• boriz2.jpg
    boriz2.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 324
  • boriz1.jpg
    boriz1.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 302
  • redone com.jpg
    redone com.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 293

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I was curious about the Boriz cues and purchased one.
You do get what you pay for!
The finish was rough with dings and sanding marks. The wrap seemed cheap, fuzzy and not pressed. One of the white inlays is misshapen. The shafts seem pretty nice, the diameter is large, The tips are incredibly hard.
I decided to sand and refinish the cue. As I sanded, the black veneer began to disappear!
I guess it was skillfully put on with a marker. I touched it up with a marker but not as well as Boriz did.
After finishing, I installed an Irish linen wrap.
All in all, it is an interesting $199 cue.

I think more important than aesthetics, is how a cue plays when at the table.

Anything to report on that?

Maniac

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So now they're making tribute cues to the tribute cues???

The pool industry is very fascinating.

Maniac

It is said Immitation is the hight form of flattery. Also if you go to most large city Fle Markets, or Mexican Bordertown, you will find designer knock off of everything from Designer Purses, Oakley Sun Classes, MLB, NBA, NFL Merchandise.

People even do copies of high end Cues with DECALS, not inlays, just junk.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Hello,

I seen these on ebay , never heard of them and now they are making a color of money replica. These cues come from the Philippines and I wonder if they are of any quality or just cheap knock-offs. Has anyone on the forum have any experience with any of these. I posted here because I thought it would get more action . Thanks https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boriz-Bill...thSearchFilter&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Boriz cues are ok. Not good, ok. I had a look at a couple a few years ago. Craftmansship was good, but it was in the traditional style of the Phillipines cues. Playabilitiy was meh. Now I see several Phillipines makers making copy of US style custom cues and that maker has gotten on that bandwagon. If you don't mind buying copies, I guess it might be allright, but don't expect top quality. Remember that these makers do not necessarily have million dollar shops. They do an awesome job with the tools they have, but it's probably a lot tougher to be consistent under the conditions they have. All the ones I've seen had real inlays.

I've had several other Phillipines made cues in the traditional style. They're hit and miss. Some are bad, others ok and every once in a while you get one that's great. Mine were on the cheaper end of the spectrum. The cheapest ones had sloppy craftsmanship, but I bought one for 200 that was a real beauty. I mean at such low prices I don't think you can complain about a product that's entirely handmade. It didn't play as good as it looked.

I lost all mine in a break-in. One of them was awesome, ugly as sin, yet I got high$ offers all the time, even from one guy who wanted to take it on the Eurotour. That guy can play, and he offered me 600 dollars for a cue I paid 100 for. I got even higher offers than that. The shaftwood was worth the price alone, the tightest grain I've ever seen in person. It made a sweet high pitch pinging noise that you only find on the very best of cues. I refused to sell, of course. Such a cue you only get once in a lifetime. A burglar took it and probably threw it in a bin.

Usually good shaftwood cannnot be expected, they typically don't even use Nort American maple. Not only that, but the low cost makers don't have air conditioned shops, or even take the time to properly stabilize the wood. When the cue arrives in drier climates it can twist like a pretzel. It doesn't every time, but I've had it happen to me once and seen and heard of many that did.

Last edited: