Choking under Pressure

Do you have trouble playing your best in league/tournament conditions?

• Yes, I always have trouble playing under pressure

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • Yes, I regularly have trouble playing under pressure

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I sometimes have trouble playing under pressure

Votes: 89 60.1%
  • No, I have no trouble at all with playing under pressure

Votes: 26 17.6%

• Total voters

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Anonymous poll, be honest.

How many people have trouble with playing under pressure, in a tight situation on a regular basis. In other words, you can practice or play friends at your regular speed but often have trouble in league or tournaments?

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometimes but not sure if it choking or my failing eyesight,,,,( I am not that good to begin with :D"

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
If you keep the right outlook pressure should help you perform. One of the best pool tips I ever heard/read was Donny Mills. And it is this...... Just because your nervous doesn't mean you got to miss. Another good thing to know is if you aren't afraid to say that your nervous(out loud) then your taking pressure off yourself. Playing well under pressure is usually just a correct thought process and breathing correctly IMO

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a friend who is a decent player. More than capable of running a tricky rack of 9 when playing against friends or a lesser opponent. But when it comes to playing a better player or for money he can clear through 1-8 but can miss a half ball hit from 3 feet away on the 9. If that was on say the 6 hed make it 99 out of 100. Idk if its pressure. But he won't take his time and just get down and shoot the shot. That probably is to do with pressure he just wants to get the rack over with.

Personally it depends on the situation for me. In a close game I'm more likely to choke or mess up. If I'm getting beaten badly that's when I play some of my best pool. I think f**k it. Might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Anyone who says they "never" have problems playing under pressure is lying. I have not seen a single player in the world who at times has not been affected negatively by pressure. Darren Appleton is a monster under pressure normally but at the last Mosconi Cup he had moments where the pressure killed his game in his match against Hatch, who also shot brutally in that match due to the pressure. Rodney shot terribly in that tournament at times as well. SVB has shown serious weakness at certain times in matches due to the pressure, Earl implodes regularily. If there is one player who I have seen the least affected by pressure almost at all times it it Efren who has a very casual and carefree attitude at the table under big pressure compared to most people, probably by design.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
In league there is little to no pressure. In tournaments I dont really get nervous unless I start falling behind against a top notch player or pro. That and the deeper I get in the brackets can give me some butterflies. If im up against Earl Strickland Im freewheeling. If he catches a gear and trims a few games I can get a little bit nervous. I have loads of tournaments under my belt so playing under pressure or in pressure situation is something you get use to. I get the most nervous in money games which is probably the worst place to get nervous. Well.... That is unless I got the nuts :p

All in all I try to convince myself its only a game and to play my best and thats all you can do. Easily said then done im afraid :frown: :lol:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did one time this year, i played not to lose-not to win. I got beat. Its very rare for me to clamp up under the heat, but it has happened. Might be once a year, and thats once a year too often.

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I concur, I think everybody feels pressure. However I also believe the more you play under pressure the better you get at it. A consistant pre shot routine is helpful.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I typically play much better under pressure unless I let it get me too nervous. It's good to help you concentrate, and especially if you can keep yourself loose, but if you feel sick to your stomach it can't help at all.

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I typically play much better under pressure unless I let it get me too nervous. It's good to help you concentrate, and especially if you can keep yourself loose, but if you feel sick to your stomach it can't help at all.

Ditto. And I couldn't respond to the poll

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really fair to call it choking.

I've been in many situations in my pool playing life that I have made critical shots and critical times.

I've also failed to make the shots in a lot of the same situations.

Did I choke or did the long grind and nerve racking situation, get the best of me? I like to think I wasn't prepared enough for the situation I was presented.

If you only put yourself on the line, every so often. Most of the time, you will fail in key situations.

Look at closers in baseball. They go into games and everything is on the line. The ones that show they can do the job, get called on time and time again. One blown save, and everyone is on their case. The true champions rise above it and get right back out there.

The only chokers I know are the ones who should be in the arena putting themselves on the line. Instead they wait to prey on others as soon as the opportunity arises. Get off the bench and let's see how you handle the situation.

For those who struggle in key situations. Take some nice deep breathes. Much like the pitcher does in key situations. It helps me and it might help you.

There's no shame in being human.

http://tommcgonaglerightoncue.com

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few things that helped my pool game that I learned from poker is to accept and understand variance, to realize that the money you put up is no longer yours until you win the match, and to always play within your means.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a way of dealing with pressure. I don't recommend it for everybody. I think of some extremely shitty thing that happened to me in the past like watching someone close to me die. Takes my mind completely off pool or whatever situation I'm in and removes the pressure.

Could cause some people to become depressed though which is why I don't recommend it.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Ghosst,

As I posted earlier today, I choked for the second consecutive Gold Crown Billiards event. Got to the last four winners. Had my opponent 6 - 4 going to 7. Missed the set seven ball to lose. Lost to the same guy last event hanging the set nine. Think it happens to everyone once in a while. Tough part is to be honest with yourself as to why you lost. Years ago I'd have blamed my opponent for being lucky. In truth it was 100% my fault. Tough pill to swallow. Thanks to my friend Ron Casanzio for helping to get my head screwed on (relatively) straight.

Lyn

ndakotan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pressure

I think it is the lack of pressure that hurts the most. If you know you are going to get to the table six times in a rack, you may not play your best. Also, pressure is not so bad if you can forgive yourself for missing. Always keep a consistent pressure on yourself by asking if you are playing better than usual. If you get mad because you missed a 4 ball combo to win the game, I'm not sure your expectations are good. If you don't get a little mad at yourself if you miss a hanger to win the match, I'm not sure your expectations are good.

cmbwsu

Pool Stream Advocate
Silver Member
I'm of the belief that we create pressure by how we think or act, not by the situation we are in at the moment. The difference in playing a "friendly" game or an "important" game is not the game itself, because the game is always the same, but in the mental attitude of the player. I feel that a consistent approach to every game is the key!

The well known term in the pool world "Practice like you play" might be a bit off. If that term were more like "Physically and mentally practice like you play" it would be more beneficial as the combination of the two then become engrained and part of one's muscle memory. When the physical and mental work together it can become one; however, to be able to combine the two consistently is a tough nut to crack. Nobody plays pressure-free; however, combining the mental with the physical during preparation-engrainment can improve performance .. at least to "some" degree.

I "try" to maintain a proper mindset -- play the balls and not the opponent -- and when thoughts like "This is it!"; "If I miss this he's out'; "The whole season depends on this out"; "It is do or die", I use the same approach (muscle memory again) that I do when I'm down on a shot and things just don't feel/look right. I stand up, move back, walk around the table, take another look at the layout, breath deep, and regather myself. If after a minute I still have those thoughts -- it's time to call a player's time out.

Discipline and poise in practice become discipline and poise at the table.

<Now, if I could only consistently practice what I preach. Human nature is, for lack of another term, unnatural sometimes.>

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Mind set

When I was 8 years old my little league coach taught me that you have to want to be the one. If we are down one run in the last inning and the bases are loaded with the count 3-2 with 2 outs......I want to be the hitter.

There are lots of things that can cause different people to feel pressure. How you respond to that pressure is the key.

Instead of fearing failure I try to anticipate an opportunity to excel.