If you had 5k

mtglassguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you had 5k and wanted a monster cue built who would you have build it and why ? This will be a reality for me later this year I am just not sure who I want to build it. I would also like it done within a year. Now I realize that might be pushing it but then again maybe not. What wood combos would you use? I like ebony and honduran rose wood burl. Let me here your opinions.

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you gave me $5,000 right now, and told me to go commission one cue, I'd probably take it to Ariel Carmeli.

I've never been big into colors, so it would be an Ebony/Silver/Ivory monster. If I had to choose another wood to toss in the mix, it would be Snakewood or Pink Ivory (the kind that is so rich it almost looks red). I don't know what kind of design I would go with, but it wouldn't be very intricate. I like simple, classy cues that make a statement. Ariel does great work, his cues hit awesome, and he is local to me (Southern CA), so that's a bonus.

If you gave me $5,000 to buy a cue that is on the market, it would be this one... hands down... no questions asked: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=321182&highlight=merry+widow

Then I would take the extra $800 and have a couple extra shafts made for it and it would be the only cue I play for the rest of my life.

Good luck on your venture... and keep us posted with what you end up doing!

mia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thomas Wayne. $5k may not get you 'The Celtic Prince' but what he'd build you will have near-flawless execution and one hell of an artistic touch to it.

Amazing cues.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
This can be built for $5k, and I wouldn't go anywhere else for a monster!

Attachments

• cortney's cue 1.jpg
    cortney's cue 1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,002
  • cortney's cue 2.jpg
    cortney's cue 2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 990

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
Paul Mottey

With $5000 I would beg Paul to make me a cue. I would offer for him to make me a $3000 cue and give him the extra as unretirement incentive. Probably wouldn't work but it would be worth a try.

Really, if Paul wouldn't do it, James White, Pete Tascarella, John Showman, maybe Barry Szamboti. The last two I don't know what you could get for 5k. I honestly wouldn't spend that on one cue unless it was Paul making me a brand new one. I would have a couple two or three made, I'm kinda working on that now. I'm collecting titlists one at a time and I want to send them out (as I rathole enough $) to be converted. Just got my first one from Bob Frey a couple weeks ago, now I'm back to hiding money till I can get another one done. The one year time frame is going to be impossible I would assume, I think top tier makers are about two years minimum and up to seven. Good luck in your quest! It's a good problem to have ( figuring out who you want to make a high end cue) later,
Tom

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Andy Gilbert.......5k will get you a TON OF CUE for your 'monster'....and he's very fun to work with on unique designs. And I'm sure it can be done in about a year. :)

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Barenbrugge. I would ask him for a wrapless butterfly with points based on brasilian rosewood , with fancy pixel-art rings.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
$3k to Steve Klein, 1k to Jack Justis and 1k to lessons with someone with pedigree.

JV

troro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree and I've done it. Andy builds great cues, traditional craftsmanship and a lot of cue for the money!

Andy Gilbert.......5k will get you a TON OF CUE for your 'monster'....and he's very fun to work with on unique designs. And I'm sure it can be done in about a year. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Wouldn't Do It......

The cue-makers I'd want have too long of a waiting period and so why wait.......I'd just browse endlessly until I found a nice used Joel Hercek or Ed Prewitt cue that caught my eye.......problem is the cue would probably be more than $5k and closer to $6k. But throw a $5k offfer to a seller asking more for a cue that hasn't sold and sometimes you may get lucky. My approach sounds like a lot more fun than sitting on your ass for years waiting for a new cue from the very same cue-maker. Heck, it's like going to an auction with a pocketful of cash you know you are prepared and willing to spend to get what you want..........Now that's a lot more fun than snoozing for years waiting for a cue.

Last edited:

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Well no Cochrans available but just spent a ton on a rare find.
New Black Boar if he would build anything that low. Also I hear Prewitt is building a monster full splice.
If Luck ever sells anything he builds that would be very high and probably at the top of my list just after Black Boars.
Can't over look Wrapless SouthWest. But I can't express enough if Lucky ever sells anything he builds one of his.
Nick :)

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have Ling Chou Lucasi build me a one of a kind Lucasi cue for $1000.00.
Then take the $4000.00 left and go to Vegas and spend it on booze, gambling and hookers. :thumbup:

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
$3k to Steve Klein, 1k to Jack Justis and 1k to lessons with someone with pedigree.

JV

I would agree totally. Personally, on the lessons, I would choose Mike Sigel. Regardless what anyone thinks of his talking, personality, or whatever, he was and is a World Champion with about as much knowledge as anyone who has EVER played the game, and heard he was a great teacher. He come with it on the tough high pressure shots better than ANYONE.

mtglassguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I would love to have lessons from a world champion I live in podunk Montana and there are ZERO pros here I think I would go with SVB or Appleton if they were available. Also could someone provide me with the contact info for some of these builders like T. wayne and Murrell

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tascarella and wait the few years to complete. Seems like his cues sell for as much as you have invested in them. I have one on order that will play like a monster......

Standbykid

Results or excuses?
Silver Member
Murray Tucker, hands down. He's right in my backyard and I already have a monster in the works from Chris Nitti. Gina or Tasc after that, but I like the idea of buying cues from makers here in Florida.
I have 6 Nitti cues now and really want to add a few Tucker's to my collection but it's hard to get on his list.

-J