In It to Win It

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not much to read in the American print or online media when it comes to pocket billiards aka "pool." There's a bit of news from India and Asian-Pacific Islander countries. Even Great Britain writes about their pool happenings from time to time, but in America, it is not quite so prevalent.

On August 18, 2012, a new member who has only posted one time created a thread in the tournament section: San Diego Senior Olympics. There was no other posts in the thread. For whatever reason, it did not generate any interest.

I only discovered the thread, though, when I read a news article that celebrated the only female entrant into that tournament, and she was 83 years young. :)

Well, that warmed my heart. There might not be a lot of pool in the American news, but this lady gave it her all at the San Diego Senior Olympics.

Margaret Heinen, 83, was the oldest player and the only female competing in the Senior Olympics billiards competition being held at the Nice Rack pool hall in El Cajon on Friday.

Fourteen seniors competed in the billiards contest, one of 31 events in the San Diego Senior Olympics. The games, for those 50 and older, run through early October.

Competitors come in all flavors. When billiards player Margaret Heinen sets out for battle, she favors hoop earrings and pink blouses.

Don’t be fooled by the 83-year-old lady with the white hair. “I shoot for blood and guts,” she said with a smile while standing Friday in an El Cajon pool hall.

Margaret Heinen, 83, was the oldest player and the only female competing in the Senior Olympics billiards competition being held at the Nice Rack pool hall in El Cajon on Friday.

Attachments

• UTI1661764_t620.jpg
    UTI1661764_t620.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 567

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fourteen seniors competed in the billiards contest, one of 31 events in the San Diego Senior Olympics. The games, for those 50 and older, run through early October.

Jay Helfert, John Henderson, Ronnie Allen, you-all could have dominated this event. :cool:

Like most pool news, it's hard to track down what happened. I still cannot find out who won. :sorry:

Attachments

• UTI1661766_t620.jpg
    UTI1661766_t620.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 545

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Elsewhere in the news, here's another feel-good story about a veteran giving back by way of his pool: Pool shark swims into Syracuse VA Hospital to bring smiles to Veterans.

I enjoyed reading this:

He spent 20 years as a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, serving our nation during the Vietnam War. Now, a master of the billiards, Ken "Sarge" Aylesworth, is one of the top trick shot pool artists in the world. Wednesday, he brought his act to Central New York.

Aylesworth picked up pool in 1968, learning the game from the legendary Dave DePasquale, in California. Aylesworth says DePasquale, who was at that time one of the best pool players in the world, taught him out to play by showing him the trick shots.

Now Aylesworth relives those lessons, by taking his game on the road.

Wednesday morning, he performed for Veterans at the Syracuse VA Hospital.

He says showing others the tricks is just as much of a treat for him, as it is for them.

"I think the veterans deserve a little more than what they're getting. This is a little bit of entertainment, a chance to put a couple of smiles on their faces," he says. "I like to see the smiles on their faces, it's very rewarding."

We tried to do something like this at Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital, and before we could get "connected" with the right people, they closed the hospital. :sorry:

Here's Ken Aylesworth sharing his tricks of the trade with fellow veterans. What a great man! :)

Attachments

• billards.jpg
    billards.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 544

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read little pool tidbits like this in the news, but I never read about any of the pro pool happenings, unless it is an online website such as AzBilliards.

It might help promote pool a bit if those who produce pool-related events could somehow get the non-pool-related media, a journalist, to write an article about the happenings. This would be one way to get pool on the map in the United States. :)

If pool doesn't venture out into mainstream media, it can never get its four wheels out of the mud. I would think this would be an imperative.

When I promoted tournaments back in the day, I contacted TV, newspapers, radios, and I drove around and placed flyers in all the nearby pool rooms from Baltimore to Richmond. The TV show PM Magazine came to my pool tournament, and there was a front-page ad in the Metro section of Washington Post and the Washington Star.

Pool needs a public relations point person, I think. Just reporting about it on AzBilliards and elsewhere doesn't cut the mustard.

Pool in the news can do better than an 83-year-old lady shooter competing in a 14-person tournament and a veteran performing at a VA hospital. Though these are very worthy and heart-warming, pool needs a bigger presence than this.

Food for thought. :grin-square:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I really like watching older [ which I will be soon] people interact in our game and in general.

WalkerInTN

Mr. Entertainment
Silver Member
"I think the veterans deserve a little more than what they're getting.

I disagree, they deserve a LOT more than what they're getting! :thumbup2:

Cool sories you're posting JAM! I've never even heard of the Seinor Olympics, much less that pool was an event. Go Margaret! :clapping:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I was watching a senior play One Pocket the other night. He was playing from one of those motorized chairs called a 'Scooter'. Suddenly, as he was motoring around the table to have a quick look at possible combo, another senior in a 'Rascal' ran into him.
It was a horrendous crash. Plastic, rubber, Wheat Thins, and pieces of Depends, were flying everywhere. One of the little beepers, located on the handle bar, had stuck in the on position, breaking the deadly silence that followed the collision.
When I looked I saw both occupants laying prostrate on the poolroom floor. One man had assumed the more or less shape of a pretzel, and was unconscious. The other, the fellow who had been playing One Pocket, was awake, but delirious. I raced to his side.
Cradling the man's head in my lap he gurgled a couple of times, spit up a glob of red stuff, and looked up at me. "What happened?" he asked, in a weak and fading voice.
"You've been in an accident." I said. "Is there anything I can get you?"
"Yes." The man said. "You can get me the hell out of this pool hall. I had twenty dollars bet on that One Pocket game."
"So what?" I asked.
"Because." He cried. "I only have ten in my pocket and I was about to lose." :smile:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read little pool tidbits like this in the news, but I never read about any of the pro pool happenings, unless it is an online website such as AzBilliards.

It might help promote pool a bit if those who produce pool-related events could somehow get the non-pool-related media, a journalist, to write an article about the happenings. This would be one way to get pool on the map in the United States. :)

If pool doesn't venture out into mainstream media, it can never get its four wheels out of the mud. I would think this would be an imperative.

When I promoted tournaments back in the day, I contacted TV, newspapers, radios, and I drove around and placed flyers in all the nearby pool rooms from Baltimore to Richmond. The TV show PM Magazine came to my pool tournament, and there was a front-page ad in the Metro section of Washington Post and the Washington Star.

Pool needs a public relations point person, I think. Just reporting about it on AzBilliards and elsewhere doesn't cut the mustard.

Pool in the news can do better than an 83-year-old lady shooter competing in a 14-person tournament and a veteran performing at a VA hospital. Though these are very worthy and heart-warming, pool needs a bigger presence than this.

Food for thought. :grin-square:

Hello Jam,
You are Jammed up and Jelly tight! Right on time with this great thread. Thank you for sharing.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
i guess i shouldnt say "you shoot like my grandma" anymore :embarrassed2:
good stuff jam - and i agree, its not news until its on the news

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Don’t be fooled by the 83-year-old lady with the white hair. “I shoot for blood and guts,” she said with a smile while standing Friday in an El Cajon pool hall.[/B][/COLOR]

Priceless!!!

Maniac

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...The SD Senior Olympic billiard events are organized and run by Danny Propp, a PBIA instructor in San Diego. Danny is a great guy, and a senior himself(as well as an AzB member) . He's done a lot for pool in that area.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Jay Helfert, John Henderson, Ronnie Allen, you-all could have dominated this event. :cool:

Like most pool news, it's hard to track down what happened. I still cannot find out who won. :sorry:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM...Sarge is another trickshot guy who, like me, was friends with Jack White for many years, seeing and playing him at military bases many times. Ken is out in NY right now doing some 'benefit' exhibitions for Irving Crane and Babe Cranfield. Recently he did a show at a pool bar in Vegas (where he and his wife live), and had some guests who added to the show...including Mike Massey and Stefano Pelinga, among others. Ken is good people!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Elsewhere in the news, here's another feel-good story about a veteran giving back by way of his pool: Pool shark swims into Syracuse VA Hospital to bring smiles to Veterans.

I enjoyed reading this:

He spent 20 years as a Master Sergeant in the Air Force, serving our nation during the Vietnam War. Now, a master of the billiards, Ken "Sarge" Aylesworth, is one of the top trick shot pool artists in the world. Wednesday, he brought his act to Central New York.

Aylesworth picked up pool in 1968, learning the game from the legendary Dave DePasquale, in California. Aylesworth says DePasquale, who was at that time one of the best pool players in the world, taught him out to play by showing him the trick shots.

Now Aylesworth relives those lessons, by taking his game on the road.

Wednesday morning, he performed for Veterans at the Syracuse VA Hospital.

He says showing others the tricks is just as much of a treat for him, as it is for them.

"I think the veterans deserve a little more than what they're getting. This is a little bit of entertainment, a chance to put a couple of smiles on their faces," he says. "I like to see the smiles on their faces, it's very rewarding."

We tried to do something like this at Walter Reed Army Medical Hospital, and before we could get "connected" with the right people, they closed the hospital. :sorry:

Here's Ken Aylesworth sharing his tricks of the trade with fellow veterans. What a great man! :)