2019 China Open 9ball/9ft (5-8 Sep) Winner $40K

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does fargo system consider the "last played time" or in other words "frequency" for a player.

For example if Jiaqing Wu right now for some reason will never play a match of pool any more his score will be 828 for forever? He will likely stay on the top of the list for a really long time.

Sorry if I miss anything but Mike Dechaine 802 HUH? the guy doesn't play any more.

Yes. The weight of each game in the system diminishes over time.

Did you read the article about Fargorate and the guy in your avatar a couple of days ago? Its still on the AZB homepage. Inside the article, Dechaine is also mentioned, and it it shows he actually does currently play, and play at that level;)

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does fargo system consider the "last played time" or in other words "frequency" for a player.

For example if Jiaqing Wu right now for some reason will never play a match of pool any more his score will be 828 for forever? He will likely stay on the top of the list for a really long time.

Sorry if I miss anything but Mike Dechaine 802 HUH? the guy doesn't play any more.

So there are two parts to the answer. the first is that we just last week calculated the performance rating for Mike Dechaine JUST for his 600 games played from Sept 2017 to now, and he is performing at 803 speed.

But I get it. That could not be the case. What happens when someone stops playing? Their rating does not go down, but two things happen. First, they drop off the "TOP WHATEVER" lists. Those require a minimum of 150 games in the last two years. The second thing is invisible: their rating becomes more brittle. For instance, Chris Bartram is rated 753. But if he started logging games at 710 speed he'd move toward 710 pretty fast.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looked to me that Siming plays with a very seasoned old fashioned maple shaft with a hearty diameter.

Could that be true in this world of LD?

Almost every Chinese and Taiwanese pro that I've seen uses a solid maple shaft and they prefer it to be at least 13mm and some want it larger.

The Predator 314-2 FAT shaft was created for Taiwanese players...it is 13.2mm. I don't think they make them anymore, but I have one and like it better than the normal diameter Predator shafts.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Spartan....a good man to have around when you need help....

C8024B14-0A32-47DB-852D-3F858CD344FB.jpeg

july9x

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. The weight of each game in the system diminishes over time.

Did you read the article about Fargorate and the guy in your avatar a couple of days ago? Its still on the AZB homepage. Inside the article, Dechaine is also mentioned, and it it shows he actually does currently play, and play at that level;)

Thanks, I've just read it, I want Earl to be back on TV table more lol

So there are two parts to the answer. the first is that we just last week calculated the performance rating for Mike Dechaine JUST for his 600 games played from Sept 2017 to now, and he is performing at 803 speed.

But I get it. That could not be the case. What happens when someone stops playing? Their rating does not go down, but two things happen. First, they drop off the "TOP WHATEVER" lists. Those require a minimum of 150 games in the last two years. The second thing is invisible: their rating becomes more brittle. For instance, Chris Bartram is rated 753. But if he started logging games at 710 speed he'd move toward 710 pretty fast.

Thanks, very clear explanation, cant ask for a better answer than yours. BUT... (lol) the fact that Mike sore is over 800 is still bugging me haha, while he stays on top of the list and the guys below him, for example Johan Chua - who has just right below 800 score mark (because he plays in a lot of tourneys and didnt do well I guess...) could easily give him a good spot playing any rotation games, any quite handful other guys that below Mike.

No hate to Mike, well I still can't forget he choked everytime he plays Moscono cup and it hurt USA team, haha, but I wonder can you share all Mike's games for the last 2 years?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Wu won two great hill-hill matches back to back. Shane played a good kick on the one and almost made it. Wu followed with a gutsy run out, the best shot being his position from the one to the three.

At 10-10 with Raga, Wu made a great kick shot on the one to leave Raga in a quandary what to do. Raga looked several times at cutting the one ball into the corner, using the four ball as a sideboard. He wanted to shoot that shot and finally changed his mind and went for the safety that failed. He regretted that decision after the shot cost him the match. The old saying applies here, "think long, think wrong." His first instincts were probably the best.

Out of curiosity I went back to see how long Raga took before he shot that 2 ball (it was the 2 ball, not the 1 ball). He took three and a half minutes.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

Thanks, very clear explanation, cant ask for a better answer than yours. BUT... (lol) the fact that Mike sore is over 800 is still bugging me haha, while he stays on top of the list and the guys below him, for example Johan Chua - who has just right below 800 score mark (because he plays in a lot of tourneys and didnt do well I guess...) could easily give him a good spot playing any rotation games, any quite handful other guys that below Mike.

No hate to Mike, well I still can't forget he choked everytime he plays Moscono cup and it hurt USA team, haha, but I wonder can you share all Mike's games for the last 2 years?

You got action if you think mike cannot play. Nobody choked more in Mosconi cup than Shane.

I also believe that Mike is the only player with a winning record playing Shane.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of curiosity I went back to see how long Raga took before he shot that 2 ball (it was the 2 ball, not the 1 ball). He took three and a half minutes.

Thanks, I changed it. :)
He must have looked at shooting the two ball five or six times, measuring every aspect of the shot and then he got up there and played a pretty loose and hurried safety that cost him the match.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here you go ....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.45.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.45.37 AM.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 463

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost every Chinese and Taiwanese pro that I've seen uses a solid maple shaft and they prefer it to be at least 13mm and some want it larger.

The Predator 314-2 FAT shaft was created for Taiwanese players...it i 13.2mm. I don't think they make them anymore, but I have one and like it better than the normal diameter Predator shafts.[/ I've tried many..........an old growth maple shaft that is picked and built properly can have lo deflection . Mine is 4.5oz, 13mm, and moves the cue ball without forcing anything . And I aim exactly where I want to hit the object ball . No deflection , no swerve.............if I need to I can masse , NP. A wise old guru in Toronto , calls this lo deflection with guts........how do you beat lo deflection with guts !

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

On those occasions when Mike comes out of retirement, as he did at the Gotham, beating YL Chang (3rd in the recent US Open) in the final or at Super Billiards Expo, where he beat Jayson Shaw in the final, he plays at this speed.

If Mike prepares for the match and Chua wants to spot him, even just a game on the wire to elven, a line will form around the block to back Mike.

…. yes, if they play a race to five with screaming spectators, it won't be the scenario under which Mike thrives, but Chua isn't a proven commodity under such circumstances either.