Corner Pocket In Fort Lauderdale Reopens

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Corner Pocket in Fort Lauderdale, perhaps South Florida's only non-smoking pool room has recently reopened following the death of former owner Bill Maloney.

The room sports 3 heated billiard tables, three 9' Gold Crowns, as well as some 8 footers.

The room will continue it's former friendly, non smoking atmosphere.

Jim

Last edited:

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great!.....About 9 years ago I spent the whole winter traveling around Florida, camping, playing pool, looking at girls in bikinis :wink:, etc...and I spent several weeks in the Ft. Lauderdale area...

During those weeks the Corner Pocket was one of the poolrooms that I played in...it didn't have much action (Hollywood Billiards nearby had the action), but I liked the little room - it had great tables, a cool owner (Bill - R.I.P.), and a very cool houseman - except it was actually a 'housewoman' - I don't remember her name...WPBA player Ming was hanging in there sometimes, at that time - I practiced with her some.

- Ghost

PS, A very cool detail of that room was that in the mens bathroom they had/have? a mosaic marble tile floor, and it was partially done with a design of inlaid pool balls.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Glad to hear of a room opening back up after so many have closed with this economy and smoking ban, I am not a smoker but understand that business plummets when smoking is outlawed in a room.

Hey One Pocket Ghost it was great to meet you and hit a few balls around, I know you wanted a piece of my money but we made it fun even without a bet. Wish I could have watched you play especially against Parica, hope to talk to you again soon!!

Neil

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
George's in Boynton Beach is non-smoking, also.

Corner Pocket in Fort Lauderdale, perhaps South Florida's only non-smoking pool room has recently reopened following the death of former owner Bill Maloney.

If you're looking for non smoking in south Florida, Geaorge's Billiards in Boynton Beach (Boynton Beach Boulevard and Congress) is also non-smoking and has 3 Billiards Tables about 9 9-footers. Nice place, too

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
That's great!.....About 9 years ago I spent the whole winter traveling around Florida, camping, playing pool, looking at girls in bikinis :wink:, etc...and I spent several weeks in the Ft. Lauderdale area...

During those weeks the Corner Pocket was one of the poolrooms that I played in...it didn't have much action (Hollywood Billiards nearby had the action), but I liked the little room - it had great tables, a cool owner (Bill - R.I.P.), and a very cool houseman - except it was actually a 'housewoman' - I don't remember her name...WPBA player Ming was hanging in there sometimes, at that time - I practiced with her some.

- Ghost

PS, A very cool detail of that room was that in the mens bathroom they had/have? a mosaic marble tile floor, and it was partially done with a design of inlaid pool balls.

Great memory Ghost!

The room that you played at actually moved about two years ago to a different, nearby, location just off Oakland Park Blvd., a few tables less, same friendly atmosphere, little, if any, action, and the nice "housewoman" doesn't work there any longer...and regular bathroom tiles.

Jim

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear of a room opening back up after so many have closed with this economy and smoking ban, I am not a smoker but understand that business plummets when smoking is outlawed in a room.

Hey One Pocket Ghost it was great to meet you and hit a few balls around, I know you wanted a piece of my money but we made it fun even without a bet. Wish I could have watched you play especially against Parica, hope to talk to you again soon!!

Neil

Neil.......How could you think such a thing of me - I'm deeply offended...:grin:...besides, you pro-tour 9ball players scare me - I would have had to make sure and keep you in a constant trap, or you would run 8 and out on me...:)...

It was good meeting you too...I wish I could escape this 20 degree weather and come down there and visit you.

- Ghost

Last edited:

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
If you're looking for non smoking in south Florida, Geaorge's Billiards in Boynton Beach (Boynton Beach Boulevard and Congress) is also non-smoking and has 3 Billiards Tables about 9 9-footers. Nice place, too
I use to go there when it was Action Billiards. The old owner Ray was a friend and customer.:cool:
They must have added Billiards.
Are they real 3 cushion? Heated?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member

Thanks for the tip. I've heard it mentioned before and it's good to know there's another nice, non-smoking, room not too far away.

Guessing that you play there.

Jim

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member

- Ghost

That was Ming Ng. Johnnyt

warren lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
corner pocket/ft ld/wilton manors/non smoking

hey everyone,glad to see some buzz about the room,three of us opened it back up,not because I have an interest in the room.its the nuts,Bill the old owner did things first class, I never had the pleasure of knowing him,but those that did ,say nothing but the very highest praises about him,Im sure he will be greatly missed.any questions please call us @954-566-3556,thanks for your posting the new room.signed a large pool nut!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The room sports 3 heated billiard tables, three 9' Gold Crowns, as well as some 8 footers.

The room will continue it's former friendly, non smoking atmosphere.

Jim

Are they open during the day? And if so, is there anything going on?

Lou Figueroa
might stop in
one day next week

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How about this room? Open during the day? Anything typically going on?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey everyone,glad to see some buzz about the room,three of us opened it back up,not because I have an interest in the room.its the nuts,Bill the old owner did things first class, I never had the pleasure of knowing him,but those that did ,say nothing but the very highest praises about him,Im sure he will be greatly missed.any questions please call us @954-566-3556,thanks for your posting the new room.signed a large pool nut!

Any 1pocket players around (other than MJ and MR)?

Lou Figueroa

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
How about this room? Open during the day? Anything typically going on?

Lou Figueroa

Not sure of the exact operating hours, they used to have a special day rate, very reasonable.

Haven't been there during the day so I don't know what to expect, especially since they were closed for a while and only recently reopened.

Give them a call @954-566-3556.

Jim

Last edited:

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Neil.......How could you think such a thing of me - I'm deeply offended...:grin:...besides, you pro-tour 9ball players scare me - I would have had to make sure and keep you in a constant trap, or you would run 8 and out on me...:)...

It was good meeting you too...I wish I could escape this 20 degree weather and come down there and visit you.

- Ghost

Ha ha ha, that's great. Trust me if I had more cash on me I would have absolutely loved to pay for lessons with you at $30/game, let me know when you are traveling again so we can meet up and do some lopsided battle (favored on your side of course).