Ways To Make This Shot

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any poster or instructor have any recommendations on how to make this shot? Its an extremely thin back cut into the side pocket. One where, to the best of my knowledge, you would have to try and spin this shot in.

Seems like I run into this shot a lot. No only is making the shot difficult but you pretty much have to turn the CB lose as well.

Thoughts?

r/DCP

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/08c2a.svg

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I heard that prayer helps.

:smile:

Any poster or instructor have any recommendations on how to make this shot? Its an extremely think back cut into the side pocket. One where, to the best of my knowledge, you would have to try and spin this shot in.

Seems like I run into this shot a lot. No only is making the shot difficult but you pretty much have to turn the CB lose as well.

Thoughts?

r/DCP

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/08c2a.svg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any poster or instructor have any recommendations on how to make this shot? Its an extremely think back cut into the side pocket. ...
If you play it with maximum outside english, you don't have to hit it quite as thin and with practice you can learn to control the cue ball. That's probably more outside than you ever normally use. It helps to have a stick that doesn't squirt much.

Last edited:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike...Why are you focusing on this shot, when you have trouble with straight in shots and very slight cuts?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Well, I still struggle with the long, straight-in draw shot. But I am a lot better now with the straight in stun and follow. Changed my stroke/stance/setup/delivery just a little. See this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=426286

And after having applied my powerful brain to the dilemma of slight cut shots I think they are solved now.

Perhaps the main thing to help here is that I had my pockets modified from 4 1/8" up to 4 1/2" inches. Now I make more shots instead of rattling them on the ultra tight pockets.

r/Mike

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could show you how to make this shot pretty easy in person.
But to explain is tough if you are not advanced enough to understand.
But anyway I make these with extreme low English using a skid stroke. The skid stroke allows the cues ball to rotate quicker in a shorter distance and slow down a little at contact imparting maximum spin.
Its amazing the cut shots you can make with this stroke.
I've been doing it for over 50 years and it's just another shot to me.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I still struggle with the long, straight-in draw shot. But I am a lot better now with the straight in stun and follow. Changed my stroke/stance/setup/delivery just a little. See this thread:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=426286

And after having applied my powerful brain to the dilemma of slight cut shots I think they are solved now.

Perhaps the main thing to help here is that I had my pockets modified from 4 1/8" up to 4 1/2" inches. Now I make more shots instead of rattling them on the ultra tight pockets.

r/Mike
i was hoping this link was to watch you play
i think watching you shoot would help the instructors help you

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set this shot up on my table.

The shot, as diagrammed, will not go.
I'm shooting the ball in the corner pocket, higher percentage of pocketing.

John

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, the diagram could be deceiving. Here's a more or less equivalent setup that I think is unambiguous:

Put the object ball on the centerspot. That's the spot between the two side pockets which is required to be marked if you're playing 14.1.

Put a ball on the head spot. Put the cue ball on the headstring and frozen to the ball on the headspot. Remove the ball on the headspot. Shoot the ball on the centerspot straight into the (easier) side pocket.

Is that roughly the kind of shot you're talking about, DCP? (The fact that the shot is shown as a back-cut has little to do with how to shoot it -- the cut angle is the important part.)

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is that roughly the kind of shot you're talking about, DCP?

I guess that's close. But the OB is just slightly past the side pocket which makes this, as you say, sort of a back-cut.

I can make this shot with a lot of extreme outside english but I lose control of the CB. I was wondering if there's a different way to play this shot.

r/DCP

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I can make this shot with a lot of extreme outside english but I lose control of the CB. I was wondering if there's a different way to play this shot. ...
For angles approaching 90 degrees you need the outside english, but you don't have to hit the ball all that hard. It is possible to learn to control the cue ball.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As has been said, outside spin can help. The angle on the diagram though looks to be at least a few degrees less than 90, so it may be possible to cut in even without putting outside on it. (Without outside on cuts nearing 90 degrees the OB will tend to spin away from the pocket, important to keep in mind when the OB is not hanging in the pocket.) Yes, LD will help with this, because high squirt will actually widen the angle so it's a difficult balance as to when to use outside spin on these shots. You can also attempt the reverse which is aiming wide of the ball and using semi-masse to curve towards it, narrowing the angle. That's a last resort.

Outside spin should let you hit it at a reasonable pace, trickling the OB into the pocket and keeping some idea of where the CB will finish. If for some reason you have to hit a thin cut further from the pocket and can't risk underhitting it, sometimes where I have a few degrees under 90 I'll try to control the CB with backspin. The CB gets just enough kick when contacting a ball under 90 degrees that you can use high backspin to induce a curve on to the CB and try to bend it to a spot on the rail, also killing off some speed after contact. This is very difficult for getting precise position but if you're simply trying to avoid running hard into a cluster and not go five rails around the table, it can help you manage to get a narrow arc of control on the CB, killing it a little bit.

Still,depending on the table layout, you may decide to accept the risk of hitting this shot hard (past a certain point, added CB speed stops translating into added induced spin on the OB because of the complexity of friction between balls) so the OB has more speed than spin and won't curve away from the pocket.

But your #1 option is not leaving yourself this shot in the first place. If your opponent puts you in this spot, play safe when possible.