Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Reviews
Reload this Page Anyone ever seen this happen?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Anyone ever seen this happen?
Old
  (#1)
cnyncrvr
AzB Silver Member
cnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Anyone ever seen this happen? - 05-10-2018, 01:55 PM

Playing last night, pull out my Players HXTP01, take the break, and this happened as soon as I made contact with the cue ball.
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
mister__p
AzB Bronze Member
mister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond reputemister__p has a reputation beyond repute

05-10-2018, 09:38 PM

either you have one very hard break of that butt was made with one very unfortunate grain. Hope you weren't injured ....

Old
  (#3)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2018, 04:00 PM

You didn't spill that beer did you?

Old
  (#4)
cnyncrvr
AzB Silver Member
cnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond reputecnyncrvr has a reputation beyond repute

05-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister__p View Post
either you have one very hard break of that butt was made with one very unfortunate grain. Hope you weren't injured ....
Nope everyone was safe from the shrapnel...Well everyone but the wall to the side of the table.

Old
  (#5)
cnyncrvr
AzB Silver Member

05-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
You didn't spill that beer did you?
Not a dang drop.

Old
  (#6)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

05-12-2018, 02:35 AM

yup happened to me when i had moved to Tulsa. Friend had gifted me a NORWELA merry widow. Pin was crooked in my instance and it had a good air gap kinda like yours has. Tho ive seen a few people do this when trying to break like their Vincent on TCOM lmao

Old
  (#7)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

05-13-2018, 11:28 AM

Back when Predator cues first came out, my best friend bought one. He had it about a week and was very pleased with it. This guy bought and sold cues frequently, never really dedicated or attached to any fue.
One night while we were playing, just before he broke into a rack of 9ball, he said...."This is the best cue I've ever had.... I can't picture ever selling it." Then he broke and it snapped just like your pic, right in the forearm. He was standing there holding the butt end while the rest of the cue flopped across the table. Predator replaced it.

POOLOLOGY
Brian Crist

Old
  (#8)
cnyncrvr
AzB Silver Member

05-26-2018, 02:03 PM

Just a follow up.

So I called Cue & Case who is the US distributor for players cues as well as the warranty and service center for them. I explained the situation and they asked me to write a little note explaining what happened, and put it in a box along with the cue, and the receipt and ship it back to them. I honestly did not have high hopes and had pretty much relegated my self to buying a new break cue as I have had this cue for over two years and well over a thousand breaks on it. Either way I did as they requested and shipped the cue back to them along with a short note describing how it happened and a copy of my receipt. Two weeks went by and I did not hear anything from them. How ever yesterday when I got home from work I found a package on my doorstep and inside was a brand new in the factory package HXTP-01 Break cue. To say I was surprised would be an understatement but a very pleasing one to say the least.

Old
  (#9)
SamShaddey
AzB Silver Member
SamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond reputeSamShaddey has a reputation beyond repute

05-26-2018, 06:50 PM

Had a falcon do that only 6 months old. They wouldn't cover it, never bought another product with their name on it.

No matter how hard you try, you just can't fix stupid!

Playing cue Tim Prince (Davis blank)
Breaking cue cannon
In the bag Pechauer 98
Ray Sculler

Old
  (#10)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Buy a Pancerny and you won't have to worry about that.

Look for the "dot".

https://customcuemaker.com/

Old
  (#11)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2018, 09:28 PM

If you search the cue maker forum you will see several such cases. Schon and Mezz are among them to note some big name pricey cues. The Schon was not cored. The Mezz was cored but the core was off center with big gaps and some kind of "filler" adhesive around it.

Glad this case turned out well.

I have never seen this happen to a Joss Thor Hammer. Has anybody?

Even with a straight pin, no voids, and perfect joint faces a cue can break like this if there is grain runoff below the joint. I have seen it happen to a cue that fell over and landed flat on a carpeted floor.

A good cue maker should be selecting wood with such things in mind IMHO.

Also, coring can help reduce damage from lateral forces I would think.

If I remember correctly, George Balabushka prefer ed nice straight grain in his forearms. I suspect he knew a thing or two. And grain isn't the same as figure.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: