Thats why the customs stay at home

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
Yeah, remember JR, Bill. Also remember when bank shot team went to nationals back then with JR, Bill and Scott....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Early 80s.....our pool hall was still snooker oriented....one GC 9-footer....
....left my Szamboti on the table while taking a coffee break...
...the cleaning lady put it in the bridge holder on the next snooker table.
My buddy started to give her some grIef....I told him to leave her alone.

That night was a snooker tournament....place was crammed.
My buddy said "Give me your Szamboti...I'm gonna try to sell it for $50."
He came back " Two guys offered me $20, nobody else wanted it."
I told him he couldn't sell water to a Bedouin....
...he told me "g..... Uh, there's mixed company here :eek:

So, to some people, a Szamboti is either a house cue, a bridge, or a Walmart special.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I always take my nicer cues to the pool hall regardless of which pool hall it is, I can't leave them a home.
Considering the time I've spent in pool halls, the incidents have been minimal.
When it happens intentionally it happens real quick, like in the time it takes to break
the balls, so you just have to be aware what's going on.
I've had maybe 5 or 6 situations, a couple were intentional, all unsuccessful.
The biggest problem for me is the damage done when I loan a cue out.
Bar leagues can be hard on nice cues, so you have to have your favorite everyday
bar league player, for all the clumsy and drunk people out there to knock over>>:angry:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Early 80s...
My buddy said "Give me your Szamboti...I'm gonna try to sell it for $50."
He came back " Two guys offered me $20, nobody else wanted it."

50 1980 dollars ... hmmm ... OK, I'll give you $120 for it.

Dave

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Not nearly as serious as a cue, but here's what happens to me often:

The bar we play at has eight 7-footers but only one bridge. I'll take a housecue and put my Moosehead on it. It never fails that someone walks over to our table and takes the cue. I always let them, but ask them to return it immediately because it's my bridge, not the bar's.

Some folks get huffy; I think because they don't understand what I've said.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe not quite as serious and even a bit funny, I have a Lucasi break cue rather plain looking. A friend of mine has a Lucasi player that looks very similar. Sure enough he's playing on a table next to me and accidentally picked up my breaker instead of his player.
Miscued twice before he figured out it was the wrong cue. I also ended up using his cue to break. I suggested he paint a red stripe around it so it wouldn't happen again but he hasn't done it so far.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I first started getting good at pool (maybe B- speed), I took a road trip from Dayton to Richmond, Indiana, a distance of about 35 miles. A friend of mine told me they had a ring game every day, 50 cents on the five and $1 on the nine, and if you made one out of turn it spots back up and you keep shooting. That was right in my price range back then (the 60's).

I drive over and find the bar/poolroom and go inside and sure enough a ring game is going on the front table. I ask if I can play and they smile and say sure, thinking I'm a sucker. I have my first ever custom cue. It was a good house cue that Pappy Winkler (the owner of Wink's which was later to become Forest Park Billiards), had put a brass joint in for me. It cost me the lordly sum of $5 and I loved that cue. I had already beat Dan Bell, who owned a poolroom in Fairborn out of over $100 one night so it was paying me big dividends. :smile:

So now I'm in the game with four other guys, playing on this bucket pocket 4x8 table and I start to win, making extra money balls almost every rack and running out the last few balls many of them. I get ahead maybe $20 or so and it's my turn to break again. I need to take a pee, so I leave my cue on the table, with all these guys sitting there, telling them I'll be right back. I'm gone maybe two minutes and when I come back everyone is still sitting there but my cue is gone. I look around and no one says anything. I ask the guys I was playing with what happened to my cue and they all shake their head like they don't know.

That was a good lesson for me losing that cue. I never lost another one after that. ;)

Last edited: