Rambow

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rambow 1961 era cue

Welcome to AZB JDC...

I have the same Rambow era cue, bought it from the original owner, same Brunswick case.

The owner told me when the Hustler debuted in 1961 he turned 19, visited Rambow's shop, saw an un-signed cue with the number 19 on it which he liked the number 19 since he was 19, bought it and had it signed in the exact fashion as yours.

Another rare find with this cue is it came with an simple turned unfinished ebony joint protector on the forearm, the owner said it came with the cue, the ebony appears to be old with an aged patina.

The butt cap everyone mentioned isn't ivory, its a man made material that Rambow used over and over, I have a fair amount of Rambow's cue materials and hand tools, in the first picture the third off white rod from the right appears to be that material, in the second picture with the turned parts you will see a rough turned butt can and a similar per-machined butt cap.

Enjoy

BBC

IMG_3751.jpgIMG_0689.jpg

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Great info and pics....

JV
Welcome to AZB JDC...

I have the same Rambow era cue, bought it from the original owner, same Brunswick case.

The owner told me when the Hustler debuted in 1961 he turned 19, visited Rambow's shop, saw an un-signed cue with the number 19 on it which he liked the number 19 since he was 19, bought it and had it signed in the exact fashion as yours.

Another rare find with this cue is it came with an simple turned unfinished ebony joint protector on the forearm, the owner said it came with the cue, the ebony appears to be old with an aged patina.

The butt cap everyone mentioned isn't ivory, its a man made material that Rambow used over and over, I have a fair amount of Rambow's cue materials and hand tools, in the first picture the third off white rod from the right appears to be that material, in the second picture with the turned parts you will see a rough turned butt can and a similar per-machined butt cap.

Enjoy

BBC

View attachment 451713View attachment 451714

JDC

Thanks to everyone for their welcoming comments, as well as the cuemaking history.

I will continue to cherish my Rambow and the history all Rambows represent.

Jim

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a RAMBO once... it was a good Cue. It was a nice 4 point cue with some notched diamonds & some dots.One night in a fit of anger about losing, I busted it on downtown parking Meter.

In 1960, no one in Texas knew about Rambow..., unless they were the kind to get around the country.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't really been answering these sort of threads lately but I'll take a stab at it since nobody responded.

I don't suppose he knows the origin of the cue or the chain of ownership? So I would guess it's a 1960's era based on the way the ivory butt is configured. It's a typical Titleist conversion and it looks to me like Rambow himself did the lettering (others were lettered by a calligrapher). Probably closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

If this cue belonged to James J. DeCesari, he was a reputed gangster tied in with the mob in Chicago, where Rambow had his shop. See "Juries Probe Mob" in the link below - James DeCesari is gambling figure from the south side linked to the Chicago syndicate.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970/04/21/page/14/article/juries-probe-mob

It's not a very common name, the age was right (50 years old in 1970) so I think there is a very good chance this is him. Also, with the initials James J. DeCesari, it goes along with the shaft lettering, so it most likely is the guy.

What helps the value is the ivory butt and "made by Rambow" lettering, which does not always appear on personalized cues. What hurts the value is the abundant black marks on the cue may never come out. Those are from storing the cue in a case with a black dyed lining and the dye was transferred. The stuff goes pretty deep and is likely well into the wood.

The value of the cue is likely in the $2,000 to $2,500 auction value range and I would say it's in average condition based on the pics.

Now all of this may be true, or none of it may be true. Likely none of it can be verified. I am just looking at a picture of a cue and my mind just wanders and wanders...

"an investigation of an alliance between mobsters and certain business men and figures of both political parties."

In Chicago? say it ain't so.