Mosconi Cup is a joke

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I don't know if it's something that needs agreeing...it is a country versus a continent. At the very least all of these empty victories by the European teams should have an asteriks beside them.

It should read something like this:

*At the time of these wins, the countries of Europe were too weak in pool to put together competitive teams, so the United states let them comprise a team from all of Europe so they would not be embarrassed.

:lol: " ... so the United states let them .." :lol: Interesting attitude :rolleyes: The rules are made by the promoter, Matchroom Sports out of the UK. You should take your issues up with them :

Matchroom Sports
Mascalls, Mascalls Lane, Brentwood, Essex, England CM14 5LJ
T: +44 (0)1277 359 900 E: info@matchroom.com

Dave

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Lets review:
1. Mosconi is the most polished event on the pool calendar:
- Best TV production
- Decent money
- Great competitors
- National pride

2. Team USA used to rob the Euro's
3. Now not so much

Maybe they have just gotten better while others have wasted their time on bar boxes. Suck it up butter cup.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Pretty easy solution really, open up North America to team USA. The population of Canada and USA is about that of Europe, still might be tad light, but we won't complain.

Alex, you got any plans in December :)

You'll need Alex and his buddy John Morra

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don´t know what your problem is, Hobo.

What´s about the years 1994 - 2006 when USA won the MC 11 time out of 13?
There was no complaining and whining about a country against a continent.
They just won the Cup so often because they were the better players.
Now it is the opposite, so the US players have to do their homework and getting better to beat the guys from Europe again. Period!

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if the Reyes Cup can be established as a yearly event, sooner or later the Mosconi could be cancelled anyway.
Because the thread starter is right in one point: the USA can`t keep up with the Europeans anymore.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
The op is correct as far as the Europeans do have twice as many people from which to choose then does the US, population-wise. However, the US team has been underperforming for years. Underperforming players should be punished so the system is working just fine right now.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don´t know what your problem is, Hobo.

What´s about the years 1994 - 2006 when USA won the MC 11 time out of 13?

Hey, Team USA wasn't THAT much better; it was 10 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie. :grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets review:
1. Mosconi is the most polished event on the pool calendar:
- Best TV production
- Decent money
- Great competitors
- National pride

2. Team USA used to rob the Euro's
3. Now not so much

Maybe they have just gotten better while others have wasted their time on bar boxes. Suck it up butter cup.
Agree 100% here. Well put. When you play bad AND dog it you're supposed to get beat.

Hobo

Banned
Agree 100% here. Well put. When you play bad AND dog it you're supposed to get beat.

Talk smack when the Europeans actually form teams from their countries instead of the entire continent. Until that time the Mosconi Cup is nothing but an exhibition.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk smack when the Europeans actually form teams from their countries instead of the entire continent. Until that time the Mosconi Cup is nothing but an exhibition.

Thats exactly what it is...just like the Ryder Cup, Solheim Cup, Weber Cup and I'm sure there are others I can't think of.

But its the most prominent event in the pool calendar (rightly or wrongly).

I can't speak for your side of the pond, but over here it is a massive deal for the players to qualify, it increases their exposure and therefore sponsorship opportunities, aside from the personal pride from taking part/winning.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in england. 9 ball isn't massively popular. In my city we have 2 tables vs about 40 snooker tables and 100 english pool tables. Europe may have the tilt on overall population, but 9 ball is the third most popular cuesport in England by a long way. That said, we have some top class players regardless of this. So, no, USA vs England wouldn't be a fairer deal on the face of it, although at the moment it may be closer than it should be based on the popularity of the game in each country. I've been to the last 2 mosconi cups in England, and I watch most the livestreams available here from the US of your tournaments. USA just don't perform well at the Mosconi at the moment, not because they are worse players, just because they don't. I don't know if the pressure gets to them, but IMO If the USA squad performed to the height of their ability they wouldn't be losing.

lumberman

Registered

The Mosconi cup is a private event put on by Matchroom Sports. They are in it to make money period. The television audience from the US and Europe is huge and that is what they are after. They decide on the formats that make them the most money. This is not an event that is put on by the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA) or the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS). It is not an "exhibition" as you would like to call it because it does not fall under the auspices of a true international organization (such as soccer and FIFA). Matchroom Sports already has a World Cup of Pool (doubles teams) as well as World Pool Masters (single players) that pits country against country. But those are not representative either as players and teams and therefore countries are invited and selected by Matchroom Sports by their own criteria and, as such, there is no qualifying process. If you want to argue about a country versus country format you should take your argument to the WPA and WCBS who would also be affiliated with the International Olympic Committee (IOC). If the organize such an event, only then would you see a true country versus country format.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me the Mosconi Cup one of the top events of the year. I look forward to USOpen, Derby and the MC.
The last few years we have put up some great talent, we have just underperformed.
I really don’t care who Europe puts up, we have some great players that need to preform up to their abilities, and we won’t be beat.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Most streaks last too long. Winning or losing. Then a team finally breaks through and it all changes. I can honestly say that for the last 3 years the US and particularly SVB have been getting the poor rolls. It just happens. An inch or two in a different way makes for a huge difference.

You go table length and end up flat on a ball close to the rail and you are stuck. Move the cue ball two inches over and its child’s play to get up table. This will pass. This year was my first Mosconi in person. In a word wicked and super pro event. Nothing else compares. People can call it an exhibition all they want. It’s the real deal.

If pool every had a potential corporate sponsor would you take them to see DCC, US Open or Mosconi. We all know the answer (no disrespect to the other two well run events).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It would be much easier to argue that Matchroom produces the only events in pool that ARE NOT a joke.

Short races, neutral rackers, shot clock always in use, little time between matches. Racking arguments and slow play are pool's biggest prolems, and ONLY Matchroom has figured out how to do away with both. It adds up to non-stop excitement, and nobody does it like Matchroom.

As for the country vs continent, that's a bit ridiculous. For every nine ball player there is in Europe, there are probably 25 in America. I've heard a couple of United Kingdom pro players suggest that there are fewer than 1,000 nine ball players in the United Kingdom, and yet the United Kingdom has produced world nine ball champions in Appleton and Peach, US Open 9-ball Champions in Appleton and Shaw, not to mention the reigning Derby City 9-ball champion in Melling. They're not doing it because they have a lot of players, but because their very small contingent of players play with great excellence.

On numbers of players alone, a fair fight might be the UK vs Delaware!