Video: Steve Davis v Steve Mizerak 1987

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just uploaded a couple of videos to YouTube for the 14.1 forum - Steve Davis playing straight pool in 1987, in a snooker/pool challenge against Steve Mizerak.

You can see Steve isn't quite used to the equipment and his positional play, which is the hallmark of his snooker game, suffers. Still, with only a couple of days to practise with a borrowed cue in snooker's off-season, he manages to run 58 balls more or less out of the gate. With the cue ball not quite under his command, you will see some unconventional break shots...

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PilVaTOyDII

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpsVnhASo8

Hope you all enjoy it!

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
thanks a lot, that's a rare video I suppose. Never knew Steve was playing not only 9-Ball

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Steve really looks like he's enjoying it.

Two of the greatest cueists of all time. Would love to see Mizerak playing snooker.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

Do you recall if the snooker matches between Davis and Miz were shown on TV, too?

Yes, as Blackjack stated they showed parts of the snooker match.
Mizerak won the 14.1 challenge & the 9-ball challenge. He also did very well in the snooker challenge but did lose.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if anyone is interested, i have the original tape of this match that was sold in the 80's that i am willing to sell. the tape is PAL format and still in very good shape, it hasn't been watched that much. since i have no pal vcr (or any vcr anymore for that matter!), i had it converted to NTSC dvd by a video production company. i am not a collector or a historian, so i basically just watched it once out of curiosity as I am a fan of both snooker and pool and it was neat to see them face off. don't have any use for it anymore, so if any is interested please PM me.

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
I've just uploaded a couple of videos to YouTube for the 14.1 forum - Steve Davis playing straight pool in 1987, in a snooker/pool challenge against Steve Mizerak.

You can see Steve isn't quite used to the equipment and his positional play, which is the hallmark of his snooker game, suffers. Still, with only a couple of days to practise with a borrowed cue in snooker's off-season, he manages to run 58 balls more or less out of the gate. With the cue ball not quite under his command, you will see some unconventional break shots...

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PilVaTOyDII

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQpsVnhASo8

Hope you all enjoy it!

Thank you very much.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are awesome - thanks for sharing!

Mizerak looked so puzzled at the end of that video.

sausage

Banned
part 3

part 2 ends with miz taking the table... where is part 3?

davis gets THE RACK FROM HELL ending is run at 58. he misses a long-shot in the corner. i wonder why he chose not to shoot that 2ball? in the side. it looks like he will graze the 6ball? on the way but seems preferable to that long-shot because he will still have to deal with those two balls anyway. if he makes that 2ball he can then, hopefully use the 6ball to get position on that center ball for a side pocket breakball. but i think that he brought this on himself by removing a nice key ball at the beginning of the rack when he had other shots. then he breaks the cluster before taking some balls off the rail forcing him to let the cue loose and he never quite recovers.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 401

DangerousDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No part 3. Part 2 ends with the screen giving the overall result - Mizerak ran 56 in the next game and finally took the third to win 2-1. In the interview they talk a little about the last game, but there's no footage of it on the video.