Does anyone want to improve their game?

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Im kind of on the fence with this one, yes non-handicapped tourneys were the norm years ago and I did very well in them, yet most were in bars where come one come all was the way. For newer players, or league players I think setting there so called rating aside is better. If you listen they go on and on that Im a 5 got beat by a 3 , Im a 4 and beat a 5, I just moved up to this or that. Which is all good in that league, but when you get out and start playing with the sleepers and players that would not play league if you paid them, then they start to see what pool is about.
No a handicapped tourney , which Ive played in a few, I think does bring out more players, and at the room I play in, we get some pros in for the Monday nights and Saturday tourneys. Ive had a chance to play these guys, The Rocket, Eberle, Geronimo, and a few others in these tourneys, and let me tell you, they could give the biggest spread and mostly will beat you. But without the handicap , most would not play . So when you have a field of know pros show up, then a handicap works to get others out to play. my 2 cents.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I agree

I'm trying to understand why nearly all of the local tournaments here in central Florida have gone to a league style handicap format. I know it gives the worst players in town a little bit of hope to make it through a few rounds but is that REALLY what keeps new players playing? When I was coming up the ladder I took a beating until I spent enough time and money practicing until I could hold my own. I don't see any incentive in improving your game when you can win with a 3 or 4 handicap. And then there is the whole sandbagging thing and all the bellyaching that goes along with it. I'm getting tired of tournament directors complaining about all of the non stop fussing over handicaps and ROOM OWNERS whining about not making money because their place looks like a ghost town except when a tournament is going on. Maybe if you had to spend some time practicing in order to win the halls would be doing better. In my opinion leagues are GREAT for bars and pool rooms but not for pool room tournaments.

I couldnt agree more, you practice and you man up. Its the only way to get better.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rackem

I never said i was against handicaps. But i did mean and do have a problem with a system that lets a player who can run racks and play safes get spotted in a short race alternate break texas (luck)express tourn.. I want everyone to have to play their best.IMO

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys have local tournaments you can play in?

It can get a lot worse than playing in handicapped tourneys. Trust me.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So high ranked players don't want to give weight. Expect the average Joe to just get better. Maybe it works both ways. Without the weight it's an easy match. Might make them better giving weight.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. This thread gives me such a great appreciation for the Megabucks league I play in. There are no shenanigans. Just a bunch of players trying to get better. Seems like that's a true rarity nowadays.

Doug the horse

Registered
So high ranked players don't want to give weight. Expect the average Joe to just get better. Maybe it works both ways. Without the weight it's an easy match. Might make them better giving weight.
We're not talking pros here or even really strong regional players. We are talking about very weak players or super sandbagging cheaters that EXPECT as much of an opportunity to win as someone who has spent some time practicing. NEWSFLASH life is not FAIR!!

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We play a handicapped 9 ball tourney on Saturday's. BCA rules which helps. Better players generally win. On occasion weaker players win or finish in the money. I like it and it helps bring in more players. We go off different leagues skill levels. Adjust accordingly if needed. It not a big turn out but seems to work out pretty good.

Doug the horse

Registered
Wow. This thread gives me such a great appreciation for the Megabucks league I play in. There are no shenanigans. Just a bunch of players trying to get better. Seems like that's a true rarity nowadays.
If you have a league with a good handicapping system that you enjoy, that's great! The APA 9 ball format is really good imo. It requires you to pocket balls to score points. You can't just ride in the nine or your spotted ball and win. The problem with their system is it takes too long for a tournament. You would be there all night. But it's good for a league.

Banks

Banned
We're not talking pros here or even really strong regional players. We are talking about very weak players or super sandbagging cheaters that EXPECT as much of an opportunity to win as someone who has spent some time practicing. NEWSFLASH life is not FAIR!!

Yet these same players that cry about handicaps expect donations via a tournament, both from players and added house money, but don't do anything to make it better. That's the current state of pool. Do nothing, act like a jerk and expect handouts.. welcome to pool.

Edit: the way handicaps are supposed to work is that if the player plays well for them, they should be more successful. Now, if that equates to not having to work, it's news to me. When places host a tournament, it's to draw people in. Handicaps give players a better chance, though not usually a much higher one. To cry about handicaps not making people improve, yet going to play in a tournament where you expect to play people even that need weight, is just ironic at best.

Last edited:

Doug the horse

Registered
Unbelievable,are you serious. If you need the 4 and the last three or the 5 ball from a bunch of average players you might want to take up checkers. Pool isn't a sport for people who need to be coddled. Do you know why I don't play pro events? BECAUSE I DONT DESERVE TO BE THERE!! I should be a spectator until my game is sufficient to compete. They sure as hell aren't gonna give me the 5 ball to get my money in the pot. So why does any moron with a cue stick and $10 show up and demand a ridiculous spot and make a complete fool of themselves when they don't win. Without fail at every tournament a number of underskilled or sandbagging whiners are bending the ear of the director trying to get some more special treatment. Maybe instead of adding money they could pay an instructor to give the 2 thru 5s lessons!

Banks

Banned
Unbelievable,are you serious. If you need the 4 and the last three or the 5 ball from a bunch of average players you might want to take up checkers. Pool isn't a sport for people who need to be coddled. Do you know why I don't play pro events? BECAUSE I DONT DESERVE TO BE THERE!! I should be a spectator until my game is sufficient to compete. They sure as hell aren't gonna give me the 5 ball to get my money in the pot. So why does any moron with a cue stick and $10 show up and demand a ridiculous spot and make a complete fool of themselves when they don't win. Without fail at every tournament a number of underskilled or sandbagging whiners are bending the ear of the director trying to get some more special treatment. Maybe instead of adding money they could pay an instructor to give the 2 thru 5s lessons!

Fine, just party it up with your 4-person tournament.

You should also tell all of the dead money players that they shouldn't play pro events. Actually, start a thread about it. Also, if you can find a weekly pro event, go ahead and let us all know. I was confused, figured we were talking about local weeklies that, in case some didn't know, are put on to get customers, not to cater to overblown egos with money problems.

I have no problem giving weight to players that need it in order to get something going. Players that act like tools, though, are a different case.

Doug the horse

Registered
Fine, just party it up with your 4-person tournament.

You should also tell all of the dead money players that they shouldn't play pro events. Actually, start a thread about it. Also, if you can find a weekly pro event, go ahead and let us all know. I was confused, figured we were talking about local weeklies that, in case some didn't know, are put on to get customers, not to cater to overblown egos with money problems.

I have no problem giving weight to players that need it in order to get something going. Players that act like tools, though, are a different case.
Went two and out last night. Played the two best player at the tournament. I don't mind a bit losing to two guys who played nearly perfect matches! Congrats to them both! As a matter of fact I invited them both to a nearby Calcutta tournament that they were both unaware of. I have no overblown ego,money problems or dillusion of greatness! I checked out some of your other posts and see you are a ray of sunshine everywhere you go. I bet sportsmanship is at the very top of your priority list. I hope you find fulfillment and enjoyment in your league.

Banks

Banned
Went two and out last night. Played the two best player at the tournament. I don't mind a bit losing to two guys who played nearly perfect matches! Congrats to them both! As a matter of fact I invited them both to a nearby Calcutta tournament that they were both unaware of. I have no overblown ego,money problems or dillusion of greatness! I checked out some of your other posts and see you are a ray of sunshine everywhere you go. I bet sportsmanship is at the very top of your priority list. I hope you find fulfillment and enjoyment in your league.

I just get tired of hearing the same old crap from people that don't do anything. Run the tournament yourself, add the money and then ***** away. I find more reasons not to do anything because of the headache of dealing with knowitall "good" players than anything else.

I'm a good sport, i enjoy playing with people that have fun with the game, but i have little patience for people that spout off dumb stuff. Damn right I'm a ray of sunshine.

Maybe those two best players think equally as low of you as you seem to think of others.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anyone that spends any significant amount of time playing pool and doesn't want to play better. However, there are only a small percentage of those players that have some natural talent/coordination and are willing and able to put the necessary effort into getting better. Most people simply have other things that they have to do or would rather do, including playing in handicapped tournaments.

Some of the most fun I've had playing pool is playing in non-handicapped tournaments, but it's always been a tournament I had a fair chance of winning or at least placing in the money. As soon as you get a player (or team) or two that are significantly better than the rest of the field, the tournament dissolves. I've seen it happen several times. The only way to keep it going is to play for so little that the weaker players consider their entry fee worth paying just for the table time and tournament experience.

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A needs a 3 ball spot, and the breaks, to break even with player B. But player B has played 5x longer, practices 5x more, has spent 5x the money, deserves the get in the money 5x as much as player A. But that's just my opinion, and I understand that you can't maintain small tournaments like that in today's pool environment. I guess I'm just happy that I have weekly tournaments to play in, and people who are dedicated enough to run them (thanks Okie.)

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A needs a 3 ball spot, and the breaks, to break even with player B. But player B has played 5x longer, practices 5x more, has spent 5x the money, deserves the get in the money 5x as much as player A. But that's just my opinion, and I understand that you can't maintain small tournaments like that in today's pool environment. I guess I'm just happy that I have weekly tournaments to play in, and people who are dedicated enough to run them (thanks Okie.)

Do you think Player A should play Player B without a spot if they are gambling?

That is why most open tournaments die. You have a handful of players that play so much better than everyone else. 90% of the field is dead money. Can't expect players to play every single week when they have zero chance of even making their entry fee back.

And to OP. Most players will not make it to the master/grand master level no matter how much they practice. If you have a concentration of those players in an area and they regularly show up, the players they drill every time will just stop coming.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
handicap

I doubt many on here have run more tourn. than i. I helped start and refine our leagues back in the 70s. We had a 66% handicap max of 20 points in our team ,fought to get it to 100%. Yes the top teams still win. But players will go to the state tourn. and to Vegas to national tourn. with (no)handicap and spend $1000s but will not play in a $10 local tourn. We grew up learning playing guys for $1or2 a game usually lost more than a $10 entry but you learned .Give me a break just play pool fast eddy.Shootout winner break no jump cue 10 ahead .(the cream will come to the top)Your break